YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to instal I-Tunes on a removable hard drive on my PC - the reason being the hard drive I have built in is not large enough to house all the media. I have installed I-tunes, and imported all the music into the library but everytime I double click on a song it loks at the C: drive and tells me the music doesn't exist. If I manually browse and point it to the removable drive it will find the song but I don't fancy doing this individually to 40gb of music.

What am I doing wrong?

I know the obvious answer is to get a larger hard drive in the PC but I like having the security of being able to switch off my removable drive and protect the data if I am on the internet for long periods (like two day downloads).

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Select Edit --- Preferences on the menu. You will get a dialogue.
Select the advanced tab

Press the Change button next to the iTunes Music Folder to change the default music folder.

Press OK to everything and you should be ok.

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
wot withieblackcat said.
change the default location for the music library to be the external disk
make sure the settings will manage your music library folders, so that when you import stuff it will organise the folders and transfer to this location.

NB (REALLY important)
Even with this setup of your music library folders on an external disk, iTunes will still be storing essential information on your local PC. The library database and album artwork files will be stored locally.

If/When you upgrade to a bigger internal disk, make sure you backup these files and store them safely with your music library on the external disk.

It's a real nightmare if you don't have these and just have 40gb of music files in structured folders, as you then need to import the folders into iTunes and go through the editing of track details if they're not properly stored within the files themselves.

Reactions: Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have mine set up so it is installed onto the main PC hard drive C: but I point the program to a iTunes music folder on a portable hard drive. I have not had any problems with this, the local storage on C: (above the install size) is about 40Mb for library info and album art.

Reactions: Craig

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help.

I basically did what Witchie said and then found an option which I think means all my artwork etc, is on the removeable drive not the local PC (I'll look at this later to see if I'm right / wrong, after I've downloaded the art work) - thanks for the tip on that Stuart.

It looks like I managed to install Itunes on the PC and the removable hardrive and completely confused the computer as to where the music library was, hence it listing the titles but not knowing where to look. I've corrected that by deleteing the library an re-importing after making the removable drive the default target folder.

So all is well, at least for now.

If only all this work was for my Ipod (which i don't have) and not my girlfriends... Still I'll get one one day.

Greens all round for the help.

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
If you use the external disk option, make sure it's up and running BEFORE you start itunes. If not it will default back to the c: drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts