YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to develop a nut allergy? And can you be allergic to specific types of nut?

I only ask because I've never had any problems before but have noticed in the last year or so that, when I eat nuts, my throat feels scratchy and slightly swollen and my tongue is itchy and tingly. It doesn't seem to happen with peanuts, only with brazil or hazelnuts, and the sensation subsides after about 30 mins (provided I don't eat any more nuts).

I'm not allergic to any other food (the only allergy I have is to penicillin) and am a bit concerned in case it gets any more serious.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Is it possible to develop a nut allergy? And can you be allergic to specific types of nut?

I only ask because I've never had any problems before but have noticed in the last year or so that, when I eat nuts, my throat feels scratchy and slightly swollen and my tongue is itchy and tingly. It doesn't seem to happen with peanuts, only with brazil or hazelnuts, and the sensation subsides after about 30 mins (provided I don't eat any more nuts).

I'm not allergic to any other food (the only allergy I have is to penicillin) and am a bit concerned in case it gets any more serious.
Yes it is. I don't know how specific the allergy can be though. I developed a latex allergy after many years of wearing latex gloves at work without symptoms and it culminated in my having a full blown anaphylactic reaction. You need to speak to your GP to be refered for allergy testing as it's a nut (and latex) filled world.:frown:

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Well, i know you can grow out of allergies, so i imagine it's possible to develop allergies as well.

It's not the end of the world and if you have a severe reaction then your doc will give you a medi-pen which you can inject yourself with to counter anaphalactic shock. My missus has a severe reaction to nuts and has one of these pens in her bag (here come the nut jokes!).

I'd go down to your doc and have a word to get some tests done if i were you,

Steve

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Absolutely yes and yes.

Get an IG blood test done to look at T-Cell reactions to certain food groups. I get an IG93 blood test done by Cambridge Nutritional Sciences every 6 months to check up on what is going on with my body. It's about £200 a throw but well worth it as the health implications of long term allergic reaction don't bear thinking about it.

There are others but I have these to be *very* good:

http://www.cambridge-nutritional.com/Scripts/whatIs.asp?q=Testing

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts

Yes

happened to me developed when I was about 21 and by 26 had gone (ish not really testing it as it's dead easy to avoid once you've done it for a while)

Have a word with the doc and get an eppi pen I've never used mine even though had some huge reactions (but not on the air way) if your getting them on the throat then it could becoem very serious!

give me a shout and I can give you all the advice I've learnt been given in the last few years. Such as carry arround a bottle of crushed piriton and if required snort the powder in preferance to using the adrenalin pen!

Fin

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
Sorry

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Kristie is yes you can. SHMBO is allergic to only cashew nuts???, this only started when she was 21.
I don't know if it will get worse but she has noticed that if she leaves them alone for 6 or so months she can eat some with no reaction, no idea if you can get homeopathic(hippytreehugging) cures,maybe worth a try.

Dave

Alergic to work,students,austrialians and work

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is. I don't know how specific the allergy can be though. I developed a latex allergy after many years of wearing latex gloves at work without symptoms and it culminated in my having a full blown anaphylactic reaction. You need to speak to your GP to be refered for allergy testing as it's a nut (and latex) filled world.:frown:
That's what I'm scared of - a full-blown attack. I don't honestly think it'd come to that, but it's a very odd feeling. I've never noticed it when I eat anything with nuts in, and I only remembered it today because I bought a packet of mixed fruit and nuts, containing brazils and hazels, and the tingling etc started again.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Allergy testing on the NHS is a very slow and narrow process. You might get a couple of individual tests done and then they look at the results, you go and discuss it and then maybe they might do a couple more. Get an IG93 or 240 done and within days you'll have a clear picture of how your immune system is reacting to 93 or 240 individual food stuffs.

A friend of mine has a son who was having terrible problems and after 2 years of going via her GP and getting nowhere I bought him a blood test. We found out that Soya was the problem within 5 days. Anything over 12.5 on the scale is considered toxic to the body - his soya score was over 220...

·
www.finingaround.co.uk
1,826 Posts
just rembered mine started off as very small reactions like little rashes on my arms or legs. then one day working in a pub and cleaned the tables down at the end of the day. got home 45 minutes later and the seam on my teeshirt had spilt and my arm was like a ballon (think incredible hulk with out the greenness!) my alergy became airbourne and touch over night. people moan about smoking in pubs well for me for a few months I'd be scared of some one opening a packet of peanuts! Mention it on flights and they start throwing all he complimentry peanuts out the windows!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Men's greatest fear is that women should all develop a nut allergy - that would be terrible.

All they do in hospital (seen it on TV) is try different things on your skin to see if the provoke a response.

Needless to say I am prepared, in the interest of womens health, to volunteer to rub my nuts over their bare naked lovely soft supple kissable skin.

I will need a bit of an advance warning as I currently only have salted peanuts and monkey nuts in the cupboard at home and will need to stock up.

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the good advice, everyone.

I'm not very good at seeing the doc about stuff, as I've always been really healthy and tend to shrug off anything minor. This reaction to nuts is something I'm tempted to ignore, purely because a) it only happens with certain types, which I can easily avoid and b) because I don't have any reactions with products containing nuts.

However, what I don't want to do is for it to develop into something hideous and life-threatening, so maybe I should see the doc.

This is all my own fault. I've always been scathing about people with food allergies, condemning it as a trendy attention-seeking device. What goes around, comes around, I suppose. :(

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Men's greatest fear is that women should all develop a nut allergy - that would be terrible.

All they do in hospital (seen it on TV) is try different things on your skin to see if the provoke a response.

Needless to say I am prepared, in the interest of womens health, to volunteer to rub my nuts over their bare naked lovely soft supple kissable skin.

I will need a bit of an advance warning as I currently only have salted peanuts and monkey nuts in the cupboard at home and will need to stock up.
Thank you, Finless, for your kind offer. I knew I could rely on you. :wink:

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just rembered mine started off as very small reactions like little rashes on my arms or legs. then one day working in a pub and cleaned the tables down at the end of the day. got home 45 minutes later and the seam on my teeshirt had spilt and my arm was like a ballon (think incredible hulk with out the greenness!) my alergy became airbourne and touch over night. people moan about smoking in pubs well for me for a few months I'd be scared of some one opening a packet of peanuts! Mention it on flights and they start throwing all he complimentry peanuts out the windows!
Sounds hideous! Has the allergy gone now?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Sorry to hear this Kirstie, but I developed a reaction against Brazil nuts - on me if I go overboard on them, I get, ahem, stomach trouble. A blood test on the NHS confirmed this, but only came back as a maybe. Would be interesting to get one of these IG tests done though, as at this rate, I'll only survive if fasting!

But another point to mention (as you mentioned a penicillin allergy) is that there are some fungi that develop on nuts that people can react to, and that would be worth investigating too?

Lou

·
16,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Do you lot mind.....

I'm having me lunch and you're talking about women getting alleric to nuts and fungi growing on your nuts.

This is a dive forum.... (suppose in that case it could be relevant ;) )

Matt

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.