YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. SWMBO is a lucky gurl!

On Friday we fly to New York for a long weekend.

We've already got some ideas down.

Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty (but not getting off the ferry)
Ground Zero
FAO Schwarz (kids pressie)
Tiffany's (ouch)
Macy's (double ouch)
Grand Central Station
Gordon Ramsay at The London
Central Park
Carnegie's Deli
Greenwich Village
Little Italy
Chinatown
Broadway

If you've been, is there anything you think is a must see?

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Bloomingdales nicer than Macy's. Have a pop into Barney's as well.

We used the Subway a lot, dead easy and cheap. Did much walking also. Good way to see the city.

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Empire State Building Pay the extra to go to the very top

Statue of Liberty (but not getting off the ferry) But do get off at Elis Island

Tiffany's (ouch) when you walk in you wonder where everyone is, the are all on the second floor where the silver is:)

Broadway, you can get half price ticket from the TICKETs booth in Time Square.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
try and do the Empire State on a weekday. Weekends can be a nightmare

Strawberry Fields (if only to laugh at the guy who puts petals on the memorial whilst playing cheesy Lennon music from an old battered tape player)

Central Park. You've seen it soooo many times in films and TV, it feels like you've been there loads of times.

around 56 street (give or take a few roads!) there are some nice restaurants

It doesn't take too long to walk from Times Square area to Battery Park (where you can get on the boat to go to Ellis Island) at the very bottom. it's a couple of miles, but well worth it to go through the different areas.

If you've got the cash, do the helicopter ride, but book from the UK as it's cheaper. . . It doesn't take more than an hour of your time including all the safety stuff. . . .

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm a big fan of New York and have been each Haloween for the last 5 years.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed by china town, its a bit grotty now.

I'm not sure about the empire state building, i think its nicer to look at from a distance than cue for two hours inside. For views - On Top Of the Rock is a definite, its the viewing platform on top of the Rockerfeller center better views than the empire state. Plus its beside central park.
I'd recommend the museums if thats your thing, the natural history and the met are fantastic.
While you are at times square (and i'm sure you will be) you should check out the relvolving restaurant on top of the big W hotel - an excellent place to get wrecked on coctails and the night view of NY is amazing from here.

The brookylin bridge is a nice walk, but a good tip is to get the subway to brooklyn and then walk back (the view is better this way.

The subway is excellent, you will see some nutters but they are harmless and entertaining nutters, its the best way to get around. There is another half price ticket place, same company and same prices but it opens earlier and has no cues - i'll ask my wife where it is and post later.

you'll have a great time

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
There is another half price ticket place, same company and same prices but it opens earlier and has no cues - i'll ask my wife where it is and post later.

you'll have a great time

From TDF - Theatre Development Fund

TDF operates two TKTS Discount Booths in New York City

1. The Times Square Booth sells day-of-performance tickets only.
2. The South Street Seaport Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before.

TKTS accepts only cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates. Both locations sell tickets at 50%, 35%, and 25% off full-price (plus a $3.00 per ticket service charge, which helps support other TDF services and programs). Availability and ticket inventory change throughout the day and at the discretion of individual productions.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I did the empire state during the day and the rockefeller at night the night view is fantastic and much preferred the rockefeller less queues nicer place IMHO but you have to do the empire because it's there.

Reactions: 4823

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Ooooo oooo oooo oooo me and Missus Woz went there last year it was brilliant.

Things to definitely do:

1. Helicopter ride. Try and do it at dusk as the sun is setting. Brilliantly brilliant.
2. First thing- get on one of the red tour buses (take lots of water) which will take you all round the downtown area so you can get your bearings and decide where to visit next
3. Statue of Liberty- get the boat and have a look round Ellis Island but don't bother getting off for the Statue
4. Empire State- buy your tickets online while in the UK and go early to avoid the queues. You will be able to go nice and early cos of the -ve jetlag on the way out
5. Eat early in the evenings. They all finish at 9pm.
6. Bar on top of the met museum half way up Central Park on the east side is a must do- sipping a cold cocktail with stunning views over downtown and the Park. Brilliant.

Hang on- will have a shuftie for the mini trip report I did.

Aha! Here we go.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Another thing when in central station grab something to eat from brother jimmy's barbecue in the food court down stairs bloody lovely

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.