YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all, I just signed up on your board and wanted to say hi.  I am an American who lives in Manhattan. I often visit your country for work. I know little about diving in the Uk.. but  I try to dive wherever I visit. I have posted a message on your "looking for buddy" page. If anyone wants to throw a bone to me, I would thank you greatly! Peace, DG

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Slim,

A very warm welcome to YD mate. NYC, the place to be!

Seriously, next time you're over (or rather before, so we have notice), let us know and we can organise a Troop Gig and take you on a dive, as we (Mark) did recently for 'Sacramento Tony' when he was over here.

Take it easy and look forward to your postings.

Cheers,

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Slim,

Yes, I seem to be making a habit of diving with Americans of late! Welcome to YD and any time that you are coming over just let us know and we'll get something organized for you.

Why not post a few reports on the diving that you're doing over there? Excite our curiosity and perhaps YD will come to visit you instead!

Dive safe.

Mark.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Slim,

I'm from Sacramento California and have to say this YD group is top notch.  Check out the trip reports for the dive we did at the Isle of Mull.  I flew 1/2 way around the world and they really took care of me when I got to the UK.

Also, I think YD is the most reasonable board on the net.  Everyone keeps it civilized even while discussing some controversial topic, which is no surprise since everyone I've met is just a great person.

If you are every out California way, give me a PM and maybe we'll hook up for a dive in Monterey.

Sacramento Tony

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hi Slim
I used to dive with a guy who hailed from Queens (was over here for an MSc) heard quite a bit about your NY diving. He was quite upset to find out that we've got more bridges per square mile than NYC

If you're ever up in the north-East of the UK (Newcastle) gimme a shout and I'll buddy wit cha
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Sep. 17 2003,12:10)]Hi Slim
I used to dive with a guy who hailed from Queens......
Come on Stevie, be honest, you used to dive with a guy who WAS a queen.....

Go on, tell us again about that time on a dive when he mistook his feather-boa for his inflator hose!!  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hey, I operate an equal-opportunities buddy policy, straight, gay, transvestites, I'd even be open to diving with a Manc  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey,

You said you preferred me in sling-backs!  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Bren

Are they DIR? Is this part of your experimenting with DIR?

I gather you gave up your Rubber Boots recently, then had too put them on again as you missed them so much!!!!  

Hi Slim

Welcome, if you are in the Deep South of England (Dover way) give us a shout and well take you out for a dive. We have a few wrecks around here.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Sep. 17 2003,19:15)]Bren

Are they DIR? Is this part of your experimenting with DIR?

I gather you gave up your Rubber Boots recently,
Hey Paul,

It wasn't the boots mate, it was the Vulcanised Rubber Hood with zips and the hessian under-garments that were doing the trick! Deffo NOT DIR  

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Bren

I was a bit worried in case you were going through another "Call me Susan" phase.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Sep. 17 2003,19:55)]It wasn't the boots mate, it was the Vulcanised Rubber Hood with zips
<font color='#000080'>Hey Zed, we've got a live one here. Bring out The Gimp!

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Old Iceburgslim is probally reading this thinking that us brits think the yanks are weird!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Forgive me if I cut and paste wrong...Im looking for friends and figure that a few faux-pas are foregiven. I'Berg..

"Why not post a few reports on the diving that you're doing over there? Excite our curiosity and perhaps YD will come to visit you instead!
Dive safe.
Mark. "

I have been diving for only 2.5 years. But, In that time I have atempted to spread my experience over several areas. I have a PADI Rescue card and if I were a "card collector" I would also be known by the high and mighty title of "Master Scuba Diver". That is a term I reject, as I am hardly a master of anything...As to dives I have done: I often dive wrecks in the north atlantic. Nothing inside the hulks, just explore the outside.... I have also  done about 12 dives in ALASKA. (check your atlas, its our largest state) The Alaska dives were among glacers, wrecks, icebergs and really hungry sea lions. (plus a few assorted Orcas that let us be) I have 3 dives in the kelp forrests of California and a whole bunch of dives in warmer waters. (Cozumel, Honduras, Gulf of Mexico (Oil Rig dives-tricky). I hope this helps.
As I stated, I am looking to dive in your fine country in October. I can bring feathers and assorted boas, but I must tell yal'l that I have a really neat DIR, fur-thong pony sling that you would just die for! "Skimpy" is just a word for low drag...Black lace is a great tie off..
Peace, DG

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hey Slim.

From your other thread, XXL drysuit= normal, its everybody else they're all skinny.

What l liked most when l visited the States is that everywhere sells xxl (normal sze) clothes and that the old people wear baseball caps.

What show are you working on? and where in our countries greatest city will you be staying?

Paul - Sounds likr you're going to have to get that lift fitted to your Rib.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hey Slim,

welcome aboard mate.  Your list of diving experiences has me slavering somewhat.  I've been reading a fair bit recently about ice diving and doing the whole Antartica thing - it looks awesome.  My non-diving wife has read some of the stuff and mentioned that she would like to go to Antartica too - so maybe there's a trip in the offing there.

Cheers,

Tim

ps.  Apparently Kinky Boots are coming back into fashion.  I heard it on Radio 4!  The great thing was the person they brought in too talk about it was talking about the ones she was wearing at the time - 6inch heels and came the whole way up - really - and made of soft leather  
.  Honestly, I almost crashed the car.

Now, I wonder if we could make these a must-have piece of kit - you know add a few D-rings etc.   For ladies of course - I'd just end up looking like Frankenfurter if I tried it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Dood,
"What show are you working on? and where in our countries greatest city will you be staying?"

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" is the show. At the Shaftesbury theater... As to the Great City, I must say LONDON. I love that town!

Designing only goes so far. I would like a chance to dive while in the UK. Email my ass at [email protected] if you have an idea for me. Peace my buds, Dave G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts