YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well as this is the first pic and dive post ive posted, bear with me..

Finally the wind let up, the Sun decided to come out and play.
we were all feeling a Tad seedy after watching the final of the Rugger, So we decided on a late start to the Dive Site.

11.00am leaving time, and up to the Dive Site by 12.30.
We all had planned to do 2 dives one 30mtr and a nice shallow 17mtr dive..
12.45 running a bit late, due to a copper heading the same way as us and we had to do the speed limit..
1.15 on the water thru the bar and heading north to our favorite dive reefs- the wind is pretty steady Nor-easter at about 10 knots, swell conditions about a rolling 1 mtr-  Just purrrfect.
2.00 launched the Shot Bouy, set up all my gear ( Remember pretty much my first dive for the season). promptly put my air tank in the wrong way around    Duh, to the hillarity of my dive buds..
all geared up, stuck the dive flag in the water, vis looked about 2mtr ( Oh well, pretty norm for the south island)
Hit the water, John close on my tail. after about 3mtr vis totally tappered off, I was actually thinkin off turning on my torch. hit the thermaclime  " Wow" at least 15 mtrs off Vis
( I always wondered what good vis is) and a very minimal surge..
After that it is off to find some crayfish for dinner..
there was an a marvellous range of fish down there
Moki, Kingfish, Butterfish and blue cod. and of course the "Rats" of the Sea" Barricudas.
So end result
first dive 27 mins at max depth 31mtrs ( Blew that tank pretty fast, but i was covering some ground, so much to see and so much to do).

After 1 1/2 hr SI, another dive this time with me mate Alan on the 17mtr reef ( Alan was flying to Napier on Monday evening), so he only had the one dive ( Getting bent in a plane would be the ultimate piss off)

anyway vis was the same as before, except this time no catch bag instead the dispossible Underwater camera rated to 14ft, what the hell it was only 18 dollars ( 6 quid more or less)
I had the film already wound on, tried the first pic at 17mtrs click the shutter seemed to work fine, however the camera was in a bent state and refused to wind film on.
so started surfacing untill we hit approx 8mtrs then could wind film on. it should be interesting to see how they come out..
as I was doing a bit of bounce diving, I decided to call my dive after 25 mins and spend at least 5mtrs doing a voluntry deco stop.
All in all a fantastic day, with great mates.
ill try and enclose a few images ( Surface ones)

Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Imported post

This is where we go diving out the back of the island

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

The Lads John, Alan and myself.
the boat is an Alloy Osprey powered by a Yamaha 130

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

myself and some dinner,
I hope this doesnt upset to many people, But I am here to also catch dinner

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

And of course after a succesfull days diving only one place to end up

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

The one on the Left is me mate " Amber" we go out drinkin all the time,
the one on the right is " Go to Jail for a long time"..
and dad happens to be qt large as well
and besides your supposed to be looking at the water pics and the beer, not the gals

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Steve

Interesting report. Where exactly in NZ were you diving ? Keep the reports coming as the season progresses as I`m looking to get over when I retire in a couple of years time. By the way, is `mate` Kiwi speak for a girlfriend ?

Regards

Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Nah, Mate = Drinking bud, the occasional free beer, and I get to fix her car for nothing..
I am off to the North island for chrissy, 2 weeks of diving, drinking and more diving, i should have some great pics
as I am hiring a proper u/water camera for the duration
oh and hiring a laptop as well for photo downloading
steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts