YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Peter's unfortunate experience seems to be a good point to raise this topic: Are you a trained O2 administrator? If not then you might want to think about it seriously.

Andy Hayhurst is running the TDI/SDI version soon (But I guess it's probably full by now).

If any BSAC trained folk want to do the BSAC version, perhaps between myself and any of the other bsac instructors on here we could arrange that. Alternatively, I know an instructor in Darlington who runs the course a couple of times a year at their clubhouse (Three Seas)and I could speak to her about it.
Chee-az
Steve
PS: a proper O2 kit costs about £500 but there are cheaper alternatives to a personal O2 supply

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

If you go to the DAN website (US) you can get one of thier o2 kits with manual trigger valve for about £450 depending on exchange rate.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I've done the padi 02 provider course, if my memory serves me right about £70 for the days course. Whether it was the quality of the instruction on the day or what but I wasn't particularly impressed with the qusality of the course.  Having had a look at the outline of the DAN one it seems better. Never heard of the TDI/SDI one

On the subject of o2 kits the DAN kit are notoriously expensive,hence most clubs and shops seem to go for the marinox type kits which are a bit more competitive in price.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I'll get my thruppence worth in here. A wise man once told me that he would rather have one 02 kit and ten un-qualified administrators than ten qualified administrators and no 02 kit. It does not take a genius to give 02. Instead of a group of divers putting themselves through the course, they could just buy a kit. At the end of the day this will be more use to a bent diver than 10 badges.
The reason for the courses came from PADI because in the States 02 is a prescription drug. If an unqualified person gave it and the person/diver died then they were liable to get sued. Unbelievably(I read this in The Last Dive by Bernie Choudry. Great book, get it and read it.) for an unqualified person to give 02 they have to go through a speil like "This is 100% Oxygen. It is believed to be beneficial to divers suffering from decompression sickness. From a non-medical opinion I believe you are suffering from decompression sickness". The bent diver then has to take the mask and put it to his own face. How often this would actually happen is open to projection, but only in America.
Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I have zero experience of any PADI course so I can't and wouldn't comment on teaching quality and course content.

However, (all bias aside cast aside like a damp cloth) I feel the BSAC O2 course is very well thought out indeed, it's as much about AV, CCR and rescue management as it is administering O2, and I'd heartily recommend it to any diver not just BSAC folk, espicially as we generally run them for about ten quid.
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 10:44 am on Jan. 24, 2003)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Not for reasons of badge hunting or promotion on the qualifying ladder but more a case of knowing more about the cause and effects will make me a stronger person.  Yes, I am a firm advocate of the O2 administration course.

For any Yorkshire based YDers (or those who don't mind travelling) I will put together a PADI O2 administration course in Hull for the cost of the PIC card and use of O2.

Dates would be 9 February and/or 9 March.

And yes Darren, another business opportunity up the creek! Only you and Nigel know that I sold my soul for a bacon buttie.

Kev

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Kev, you are a professional dive instructor, it has cost you a lot of money to get where you are. Charge a 'reasonable' price for the course. I understand your sentiments as to the safety aspect but your time is worth something. I am sure this will kick a few replies off but if the course is worth doing, which it is, then you should be prepared to put your hand in your pockets.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kev
any chance of doing it at Stoney for the shandy-drinkers, let us know the cost as well, if youre talking £10 a head (at a guess) I'm sure you would get a few takers.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hey Kev,

It would be rude of me not to take advantage of your good nature !!.  Would you be interested in doing a O2 admin course at Stoney as suggested by Matt ?,  I could try to drum up some interest,  I am sure if we can get enough people interested we could cover your entrance, petrol and of course the obligatory bacon buttie and pint, PICs, O2 plus a bit for your time and effort.

If you are interested maybe we can set a tentative date in a month or so and see what the interest is.

Bagsy being a victim,  aaahhhh O2 after a bit of a night out... ;)

Daz

(Edited by daz at 3:23 pm on Jan. 24, 2003)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

All

No, I hadn't forgotten the offer.

Stoney do not - as a rule - hire out any classroom accommodation to outside instructors.  Therefore, the venue will have to be Hull.

I am away from 16 Feb to 3 Mar and would therefore like to book the 15 or 16 March.  If you are interested, please let me know and I will make up numbers.  I will then work out a final total (to include lunch and refreshments).

Regards

Kev

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I have recently completed two courses at Stoney. This was with East Mids BSAC and we used the room under the pub. I think you may be able to book that room.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Room under the pub ?,  bit wet isn't it ;)

Daz

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

It is actually, and dark, and the floor is sticky.

Theres a small glass floor bit that lets you look down and see divers doing their thang !

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Heads Up - good luck with the AI.

WL - thanks for the information.  Would assume that I will need to telephone the pub itself.  Wonder if the school at Stoney know that there is a room going for grabs to independent instructors?

Please keep posted and I will let you know venue soonest.

Regards

Kev

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

When I worked with safety regulations on the mines we sometimes arrived at a situation we called eye blind. Something that appeared to serve the purpose for safety but in reality was a just a token for regulations appearances sake, like the wrong type of fire extinguisher, empty first aid boxes and u/s safety equipment. I have held various first aid certificates since the late 70's and have a diploma in mine safety management. Regarding O2 admin course I did, it was worth about a fiver, maybe less. A decent dive medic course it isn't.  Some people think you can teach O2 admin without physically practising using the equipment.  Although reading a book, or looking at it is better than nothing, I thought I was paying for training and to me the only acceptable effective training is hands on.  IMO most of the 3 litre kits on sale are inadequate for people who dive in out the way places. You have a diver showing the effect of deco sickness, ideally you immediatly put the patient and the buddy on O2 as they have both done the same dive.  For dive planning purposes BSAC regard the average surface consumption rate as 25 litres a  minute and the average O2 cylinder pressure is 200 bar then with 2 breathing from a 3litre cylinder it lasts around 12 minutes.  People in pain may or may not be doing a lot of fast shallow breathing.  You may have a lower consumption rate and I have no knowledge of how adequate 25 litres a min is as an average consumption for estimating purposes.      

(Edited by budgy at 8:26 pm on Feb. 4, 2003)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Budgy,
The DAN course is very 'Hands On' and IMHO a must do, or an equivelant, from what Steve W says about the BSAC course it also sounds good. I think it was Steve W sorry if I am wrong.
Also with regard to the small cylinders, Budgy's comments are very important, we usually carry a 10litre cylinder when in the wilds. We work on the assumption that we need enough 02 to keep two divers on 100% untill an ambulance or coastguard would get to us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts