YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
science lesson please

is O2 cleaning really needed? or is it just another rule that extorts cash from us?

has anyone ever had issues that were a result of using a cylinder with O2 in it, where it was not cleaned, and that was the cause of the problem??

just wondering what you think :)

then i can decide if i will bother to get them cleaned again or not!!
(i have my own O2 supply so i am not always using a shop! and own compressor too)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
science lesson please

is O2 cleaning really needed? or is it just another rule that extorts cash from us?

has anyone ever had issues that were a result of using a cylinder with O2 in it, where it was not cleaned, and that was the cause of the problem??

just wondering what you think :)

then i can decide if i will bother to get them cleaned again or not!!
(i have my own O2 supply so i am not always using a shop! and own compressor too)

Gas Blending Disaster|spiralbound.net

:D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
nickb said:
No, it's completely unnecessary and a dive industry scam. Do what I do and add a couple of squirts of two-stroke oil and a dash of Redex before every fill - keeps those valves turning nicely..........

.......probably ;)
Squirt of WD40 on the cylinder DIN threads too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Having gear in O2 service is important, ie the right materials, and a system needs to be clean.

The big question is what constitutes 'dirty' and needing a clean.
I get things cleaned when they go for a test but don't bother with the intervening 'clean' because I don't use places that do dirty fills.

I don't believe this 12 or 18 month lark but if I'm asking somebody to put high pressure O2 into my cylinder I have to accept what ever conditions they wish to apply. They have not seen my filters or my compressors so they are allowed to assume 'worst case'.

Reactions: Ashbypower

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Totally agree with Nigel. If you are wanting someone else to take a "risk" on your behalf be prepared to meet their conditions.

If, on the other hand, you are happy to take all risks yourself then you are master of your own destiny...

What I simply do not agree with is the length of time between tests and cleaning. Commercial cylinders are hydrotested every 10 years I believe and the industry uses the excuse that ours are subjected to an abusive environment. Of course, they have never seen O2 cylinders in scrap yards or ship yards have they? Strapped to the side of a Scottish live-aboard getting as wet as any scuba tank.....

O2 cleaning works for the period of time it takes to get the next gas fill from a compressor. Who is to say that it's filters are not saturated and contaminated and it is blowing dirty air? But that's OK, the cylinder is still "Good" for another 14 months 3 weeks service even though Nicks 2-Stroke oil and Redex may be swilling about in the bottom...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Totally agree with Nigel. If you are wanting someone else to take a "risk" on your behalf be prepared to meet their conditions.

If, on the other hand, you are happy to take all risks yourself then you are master of your own destiny...

What I simply do not agree with is the length of time between tests and cleaning. Commercial cylinders are hydrotested every 10 years I believe and the industry uses the excuse that ours are subjected to an abusive environment. Of course, they have never seen O2 cylinders in scrap yards or ship yards have they? Strapped to the side of a Scottish live-aboard getting as wet as any scuba tank.....

O2 cleaning works for the period of time it takes to get the next gas fill from a compressor. Who is to say that it's filters are not saturated and contaminated and it is blowing dirty air? But that's OK, the cylinder is still "Good" for another 14 months 3 weeks service even though Nicks 2-Stroke oil and Redex may be swilling about in the bottom...
i totally agree
you could take it from where it was 02 cleaned and fill it with god nows what but its in 02 clean so it must be ok !

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bit like an MOT on a car then, you can pass the test there and then, but within 5 mins of the test centre something fails or the car is changed in some way- say cracked windscreen, and its then technically an MOT faliure! but its still good for 12 months!
i do think though that O2 cleaning is a bit of a scam. i do however accept that they make sure that o rings etc are the correct ones so they do not oxidize with the oxygen being in direct contact. - but could cylinders not be fitted with these as standard??

·
mmm cake shall i eat it or throw it? he he
440 Posts
Load of boddly dosh there are loads of BOC outlets that fill O2 botttles day in and day out and theyre not shiny new cylinders like what we have, they come from hospitals,doctors surgeries,people with severe ailments colleges even scrapyards, and they arnt clean either! they just look at them fill em and throw them back on the wagon. Im all for working safe but the industry is taking the piss they all jumped on the O2 clean bandwagon when they could charge you to clean your cylinder every 12 months as per the industry STANDARD. But how many follow the industry standard of 15 months now?????? Not all of them do they? That says it all!!!!!!! Every fill station has a right to turn you away if your cylinder looks dirty grubby or in bad condition (its their right to do so)! so if you turn up with an in date o2 clean cylinder but its a bit battered and has a smear of oil on it you wont get it filled. Neither will you get a fill with a spanking new cylinder you just bought from the dive shop 6 months ago cause the bottle was sitting in the shop for 6 months prior to your purchase.

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Just a quick question without straying off topic...

My cylinders were O2 cleaned. They were filled with our (well maintained) club compressor, but without a personal filter (as I hadn't marked them to say O2 cleaned). Does that make them no longer O2 clean? Does it warrant another clean?

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Just a quick question without straying off topic...

My cylinders were O2 cleaned. They were filled with our (well maintained) club compressor, but without a personal filter (as I hadn't marked them to say O2 cleaned). Does that make them no longer O2 clean? Does it warrant another clean?
Would use of a personal filter have removed all traces of hydrocarbons in the same way as a dedicated Activated Charcoal filter? Doubtful.

Have you ever drained you tank completely and left the valve open so that they equalise with the outside air? Was that air totally clean?

Your cylinders are still O2 clean - there is a sticker on the side that says they are isn't there?

Reactions: davemanroe

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Have you ever drained you tank completely and left the valve open so that they equalise with the outside air? Was that air totally clean?
ROTFL!

The amount of air that will enter your cylinder doing that is comparable to the amount of oil in a good certified fill.

The best one I ever heard was somebody picking a cylinder up by the valve being told they risked contaminating it and it should be cleaned.
I thought it was a joke and laughed and they tried to tell me off.
So I laughed some more.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Load of boddly dosh there are loads of BOC outlets that fill O2 botttles day in and day out and theyre not shiny new cylinders like what we have, they come from hospitals,doctors surgeries,people with severe ailments colleges even scrapyards,
The difference is they are only ever filled at BOC and the chance of containments getting in the cylinder while it is in use elsewhere is tiny. Our diving cylinders, in general, get filled anywhere there is a fill station near to where we happen to be at the time, it only takes one ill maintained compressor to pump crap into your tank...

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Load of boddly dosh there are loads of BOC outlets that fill O2 botttles day in and day out and theyre not shiny new cylinders like what we have, they come from hospitals,doctors surgeries,people with severe ailments colleges even scrapyards, and they arnt clean either! they just look at them fill em and throw them back on the wagon. Im all for working safe but the industry is taking the piss they all jumped on the O2 clean bandwagon when they could charge you to clean your cylinder every 12 months as per the industry STANDARD. But how many follow the industry standard of 15 months now?????? Not all of them do they? That says it all!!!!!!! Every fill station has a right to turn you away if your cylinder looks dirty grubby or in bad condition (its their right to do so)! so if you turn up with an in date o2 clean cylinder but its a bit battered and has a smear of oil on it you wont get it filled. Neither will you get a fill with a spanking new cylinder you just bought from the dive shop 6 months ago cause the bottle was sitting in the shop for 6 months prior to your purchase.

and BOC or whoever will fill it no problem.

there are places that won't update the risk assesments as they will lose out on a lot of wonga from o2 cleaning. have contacted manufacturers who are hapy to state that they consider the materials in the valves to be compatibl with 15 month interval. some places are fairly sensible. my cylinders were 1 day out but they got filled as thepumper quite rightly said they dont miraculously get filthy overnight. amittedly its where i get most of my nitrox but shows there is common sense around rather than folowing guidance blindly

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.