YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

O2 Cleaning, is it really needed??

5K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  dry suit diver 
Having gear in O2 service is important, ie the right materials, and a system needs to be clean.

The big question is what constitutes 'dirty' and needing a clean.
I get things cleaned when they go for a test but don't bother with the intervening 'clean' because I don't use places that do dirty fills.

I don't believe this 12 or 18 month lark but if I'm asking somebody to put high pressure O2 into my cylinder I have to accept what ever conditions they wish to apply. They have not seen my filters or my compressors so they are allowed to assume 'worst case'.

Reactions: Ashbypower
Have you ever drained you tank completely and left the valve open so that they equalise with the outside air? Was that air totally clean?
ROTFL!

The amount of air that will enter your cylinder doing that is comparable to the amount of oil in a good certified fill.

The best one I ever heard was somebody picking a cylinder up by the valve being told they risked contaminating it and it should be cleaned.
I thought it was a joke and laughed and they tried to tell me off.
So I laughed some more.

can you explain how they fill it or we use the gas if there is a one way valve . it either lets the gas in or it lets it out. by definition of one way.
There is a pin that goes into the hole the gas comes out of. That opens the one way (outward) valve so it can be filled.
This is too prevent cross contamination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.