YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I saw an article in last month's Dive magazine for a piece of kit which allows for a regular diving cylinder to be used as an O2 kit (or to allow use of a nitrox mix if no 100% O2 available through a constant flow mask.

As I understand it the device attaches to a low pressure inflator hose and steps down the pressure to allow constant flow of the gas at variable rates to a conscious or, more importantly, unconscious casualty.

This means that any of us could use it to provide a high(er) O2 mix (Or 100%) to a casualty in case of an emergency or insufficient O2 for whatever reason.

The site for it is here...

Home

I thought it sounded a bloody good idea and I've just ordered one. It fits in really well with my current evolution from indies to a manifolded twinset. My plan is to convert my indies to a drop tank and an O2 kit as my diving is almost exclusively involving deco now. Unfortunately it's not going to be available for shipping until the middle of September.

Any one else seen this? What do you think?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had seen it, and have been considering getting one for occasions where I'm diving in remote locations and o2 kits are not readily available. As a rb diver, I always have a 3l o2 cylinder that in emergencies could be very handy with this bit of kit.

Officially it is only supposed to be used with nitrox to 40% (although in the magazine article, they were running 75% through it I think :) )

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
seeing how light an ally40 is full of 100% it must be worth having one in the car. the weight is not an issue its just cost. how you get the gas to the diver is up to you but if there not conscious i think they should be in the helicopter by now :)

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
I had seen it, and have been considering getting one for occasions where I'm diving in remote locations and o2 kits are not readily available. As a rb diver, I always have a 3l o2 cylinder that in emergencies could be very handy with this bit of kit.
its on my list of things to buy for exactly the same reasons, i always have a spare 3l of O2 as well as what left in the 3l i'm using. Then again you can always whack someone straight onto the loop as well.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Keep your eyes open on EBAY. I got an O2 kit Reg (like the Marinox set) for £55.

Mask from BSAC and Flow restrictor & Din adapter from SAP £55.

Total O2 set for £110, just add cylinder of O2 - any cylinder, Din or Pin Index.

40% is better than Air, but absolute rubbish compared to 100%

Juz

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest I didn't notice on their site that the unit was only quoted to used "up to 40%O2" and was going on the write up in Dive which said they'd used it with 75%.

I emailed Martin Kerley, from rescuean this afternoon and he replied pretty rapidly with the following info.... It sounds ideal for my use and avoids any extra outlay of extra regs or adapters. Doesn't sound long before the testing is back and would be rated to 100% O2.

What I was particularly impressed with was the offer of an immediate refund if I wasn't happy and had changed my mind.

Will report back when it arrives and I give it a go!

"Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your email and question. I have to say that we have received many similar questions and are working to be able to give a definitive answer - but as the pod is so new, testing takes time!!!

So, to give you a better picture of where we are today, I hope the following helps…

Since this was first reported in DIVE Magazine by Charles Hood, we have had many favourable emails from a variety of divers of differing associations and levels as well as other interested groups.

As mentioned on the website, the original idea came from our PADI EFR, O2 & Rescue course where the possibility of giving a Nitrox mix to conscious dive patient was mentioned and strongly recommended. When we queried why it could not be given to a shallow breathing or unconscious patient and were told there was no method to allow this. By introducing RescuEAN our goal was to enable a Nitrox using rescue diver, in a remote area, to be able to assist the unconscious patient instantly by giving his Nitrox mix in a constant flow via a facemask - while awaiting a full O2 kit and paramedics. Hence our website’s referral to ‘up to 40%’ (also our current certificated level!).

However, once the pod was tested by him and he saw the inner construction & components, Charles immediately came to the conclusion that the pod would be safe with all levels of O2 mix and since then, after more investigation, a number of technical & professional divers have also agreed with this conclusion. We have visited the London Dive Centre and they also agreed that it could be used for higher O2 levels - but that normal O2 precautions should be taken. Their initial response – for an EFR Rescuer to be able offer any increased concentration of O2 to a patient, would be beneficial. The pod would enable this rapidly, as it can be carried at all times…

The reasoning for this current conclusion is that the pod has NO lubricants or contaminants to affect O2. It is a relatively simple control valve utilising 316 Marine Grade Stainless Steel in its construction with rubber ‘O’ rings to seal and otherwise is made of rigid plastic, rubber and nylon. Obviously though - as it has been designed to be carried at all times to be readily available as soon as the shore or boat is reached - the unit will need to be purged of water (it is negatively buoyant when underwater) before use but otherwise is capable of taking the higher levels of O2 mentioned in the articles.

It can be assumed as ‘O2 clean’ as it leaves the packaging for the above reasons.

The general feelings of the many other professional divers and boat ‘skippers’ we have been speaking with is that in a situation where increased levels of O2 are required and needed rapidly, then the RescuEAN pod (once purged) is more than an acceptable item of equipment - for the purpose of giving life saving aid - as is far better to utilise any Nitrox % than basic M2M or no O2 at all. We have always considered this pod as a rescue aid and that a full O2 kit is still the best form of O2 provision but is not often so accessible. The pod, etc. can also be a back up - should the O2 kit be exhausted or there are more ‘patients’ requiring assistance.

Following on from this, for privately owned ribs/boats - the Nitrox clean cylinder (at whatever % level), first stage, 2 x LP hose (1 x regulator for the conscious patient & 1 x LP hose for connection to RescuEAN pod), the tubing and facemask with O2 inlet – RescuEAN will give a good form of O2 provision at a lesser cost than a full O2 kit whilst also being of a more robust construction and durable enough to be displayed and on hand at all times, therefore its useful benefits in a dive emergency will become more accessible to sport divers generally. This was where Charles Hood was coming from having just spent considerably more creating an O2 system for his rib…

In addition, a diver carrying a pod and rescue mask on some boats abroad (if used in conjunction with the divers Nitrox cylinder) will also give an additional option in the event of a dive accident. In fact, during our research for the new pod, we were told by a well known and highly respected ‘diving’ doctor of an emergency that he experienced while on a chartered boat broad. Basically, the boat did not have any O2 provision and the ‘captain’ had little understanding of the need for one - nor the English language! Whilst the emergency was not overly life threatening, the doctor was unable to offer any O2 to the injured diver for over an hour and until they reached port. His comment, following seeing the pod, was that he wished it had been available at that time as he would have happily given the Nitrox mix he had been diving with to the patient and that would have benefited him greatly. Further testing is being done on the aspect of higher O2 at the moment and we will formally report on our website - as soon as results are known.

One other possible use that has come from our trials and scenarios’ is to use the pod once the rescuer and patient is on the surface and buoyant – clip the pod onto either the BCD or dry suit LP hose and connect to oral/nasal face mask - so to stop any further water ingress to the patient if there are waves or swell on reaching shore/boat. M2M can still be offered during the swim in via the oral/nasal face mask. Our dive school instructors are doing scenario trials of this at the moment and a video will soon be available on the website showing this and the pods other uses…

Finally, as mentioned the LDC are going to do some further tests for us and we have been approached by the CI of the UK’s Combined Armed Forces who has offered to run tests (and report back to help us build a ‘working history’ on the new pod) and include in his training program. We understand his divers also use re-breathers extensively and are required to carry a separate form of O2 rescue kit to run alongside the re-breathers. He also feels our pod will cover this need.

So, in summary - while the pod was designed for up to 40% sports diver Nitrox, many professionals and technical divers that have already opted to buy one will be using it with higher Nitrox/O2% levels. But before we can advertise this, we are awaiting more testing/feedback results, especially on the subject of maintenance – i.e. if used with greater O2% will the two ‘O’ rings need more regular replacement, etc. Our view is that as this was initially a rescue aid, then the use by the majority of our customers (hopefully!) will be very low. Use by dive schools and other groups for regular training purposes will help us on the subject of maintenance, etc. as they will be in constant ‘scenario’ use. From day one, we have worked closely with our designers to have a robust, corrosion resistant product that in 5 years time, if needed, will perform as if it had just left the box.

I hope the above goes some way to answering your query and its length has not caused you too much boredom! We feel strongly that this pod is a worthwhile item of dive kit and would like our customers to feel the same. In this regard, I would be happy to hear back from you with any further comments.

PLUS - should you wish to cancel your order now you have seen this, please let me know and I will arrange a full refund to you - immediately.

Kindest regards,

Martin"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.