YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all and after your good recomendations i completed my basic TDI Nitrox this week.I have a few questions to ask but not sure which thread/forum to put them in so i've decided to put them all in equip.
1/ Now that i have passed nitrox i am concidering buying a O2 analiyzer, i have been looking at the Analox II which is small and compact.Has anyone had experiece of this unit or any comments.

2/i am thinking of upgrading to twins and considering 300 bar 7's the reasons are i am only qualified to dive up to 30m and these would give me all the air i need for these dives.I dive with a Transpac II and rec wing with the soft back so feel if i go heavier i would have to upgrade to a steel backplate which i will not do untill later.Any comments!

Thanks all,

Regards,

MAL..

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guv,

well done on the Nitrox course mate - welcome to
Gas

As for the Analox II, it is very simple and easy to use - all in one nice handy-sized unit.  I've used them on a number of occasions and had absolutely no probs with them.  I'm considering getting one meself.  Bren bought one at the NEC dive show so can give you more info if necessary.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

Can definitly recommend the Analox II.

Very simple to use, and a lot cheaper to use. They do deals for instructors, and as a result got mine for about £130 including VAT & delivery.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've also got an Analox II - does the job but it is worth getting a sensor saver for. Only costs an extra few quid and should keep yer o2 sensor fine for 2-3 years.

I was out yesterday with a set of twins and a 15.

Did the first two wreck dives on 28% and then boosted the twins with 80 bar of 40% and ended up with some 32% for a nice 20 metre scenic dive. Without an analyser that you can really trust you just couldn't do this. Buy one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Mar. 31 2003,08:52)]I've also got an Analox II - does the job but it is worth getting a sensor saver for. Only costs an extra few quid and should keep yer o2 sensor fine for 2-3 years.

I was out yesterday with a set of twins and a 15.

Did the first two wreck dives on 28% and then boosted the twins with 80 bar of 40% and ended up with some 32% for a nice 20 metre scenic dive. Without an analyser that you can really trust you just couldn't do this. Buy one.
Congratulations on your nitox course. You will find it very handy on multiple dives. It is a great idea to analyze your own gas. There is usually confusion, people lined up, and others chit chat  at fill stations and I don't like that. I rather have my gas rechecked at my own convenience. I don't like duck tape either - I use yellow, water proof, vinyl tape (I'm picky). I had seen too many cheap labels fall off and people guessing.

Regarding the brand of analyzer, I cannot comment on the Analox 11 because I'd never used it. I have an Oxispy by Abyss and also used an OMS one of a few occasions. The Oxispy doesn't need a flow meter and all you do is press it on the pillar valve. The OMS one have to be fed from the inflator hose and the flow regulated. The readings are usually close up to the .01-.05%. That's close enough for me.

Take care

Lawrence

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Thanks all for the good advice.
Cheers heads up spoke to Andy this afternoon and trying some way of getting it to me.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Twin 7s 300bar with transpac works perfect. I used it on 50 dives and I love it. Small lot of air and in summer there is no need for extra weight!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I have a home built analyser which, with the O2 cell, cost about £45 -

I have to confess it was home built by NotDeadYet in his home :).

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
snorklos67 said:
Also some technical instructors state that nitrox is less stable in 300 bar during the filling process, but I don't know enough about gas behaviour
Less stable :eek:

I reckon the gas will be 'stable' enough. What you probably mean is that the correct blend may be difficult to achieve due to the non-linearity of the gas laws as the pressure increases towards 300 Bar. But if you can fudge factor for it or use a software blending package that accounts for that you will be fine.

Example from Nigel Hewitt's excellent Blender program:
Ideal Gas Laws - 300 Bar of 32% requires 41 Bar of O2 topped with air to 300 Bar
Van der Waals - the same mix requires 37 Bar of O2.

Clearly using the ideal gas laws you'll end up with a rich mix (more like 33%)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts