YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JJ Ninny
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an O3 Custom RI 2/100 suit as my current O3 suit is rather restrictive. Is the front zip option worth having and are there any disadvantages?
Will it be more flexible, helping to make shutdowns achievable?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Hmm, before spending anything I'd check your undersuit. Make sure that is not causing you any problems first - otherwise you might end up buying a new suit and still have issues.

Assuming that your suit is the issue, a properly fitting and well cut suit with either front or rear entry should work. To be honest, if you get measured at O'Three I'd expect them to get you a suit that works for you no matter what the zip option.

Having said that, I've got an O'Three front entry and I love it.

It does give more flexibilty than a rear entry across the shoulders, but makes it slightly stiffer on the torso, which I find more comfortable. It allows you zip and unzip the suit yourself, which is not a necessity but it does give you a bit more freedom in not relying on others. The obvious downside is cost, both to fit in the first place or to replace if it does let go at some point.

·
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
257 Posts
Hmm, before spending anything I'd check your undersuit. Make sure that is not causing you any problems first - otherwise you might end up buying a new suit and still have issues.

Assuming that your suit is the issue, a properly fitting and well cut suit with either front or rear entry should work. To be honest, if you get measured at O'Three I'd expect them to get you a suit that works for you no matter what the zip option.

Having said that, I've got an O'Three front entry and I love it.

It does give more flexibilty than a rear entry across the shoulders, but makes it slightly stiffer on the torso, which I find more comfortable. It allows you zip and unzip the suit yourself, which is not a necessity but it does give you a bit more freedom in not relying on others. The obvious downside is cost, both to fit in the first place or to replace if it does let go at some point.
How do you find getting into a front entry suit with no telescopic torso out of interest?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I "upgraded" from an O3 MSF 500 to an Ri200 with front loading zip at the start of the year. Both are XL, but the Ri is much more flexible and comfortable to wear. It has miles more room around the shoulders (not hard really, the other one was nigh on skin tight) and shut downs are no problem at all. In fact I can nearly reach my left valve with my right arm (no use really, but an indication of flexibility).

I spent ages with Shaun getting all the tweaks sorted, especially the placement of the shoulder dump. That was my main issue with the MSF, as the shoulders were so tight, the dump valve was too far to the front. It was no real issue when using a BCD or single wing, but I had quite serious issues dumping gas when I switch went to a twinset.

The front zip is great, no problems getting in or out. There is a technique, but Shaun went through all that. It does take several goes to get the hang of the part of the zip which goes over the shoulder, but it easy once you get the hang of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts