YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi folks
         I've a chance of a couple of days diving, 13/14th April, having never been to Oban diving,I'm wondering if anybody can give some recommendations,anything considered!!
                       cheers,
                                  Fraser.
PS most likely the club rhib will be moored at puffin.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

From Puffin with "sensible" RIB journeys you'll be looking at the Breda, Heather Island, Dubh Sgeir. If you're only there for two days you'll be happy enough doing at least two of the dives on the Breda. I'd recommend launching(or lunching) at Fishermans Wharf or Dunstaffnage Marina for the Breda.

The problem with Puffin is it's quite far away from the Sound in a RIB, which is why I'd recommend Lochaline Dive Centre. £11.50 a night, free RIB launching, air/'trox availible on site. It also opens up a load of other sites like the Hispania, Shuna, Thesis, plus loads of scenics. The centre would help you with any info you needed about local nuances and where the sites are. All the wrecks I've mentioned are in DiverNet wreck tours.

Any questions I'll try and answer them for you!
Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ April 01 2004,16:01)]If you are into cliffs there are a couple of good(ish) ones near Oban and close to The Dive Centre That Shall Not Be Named eg Bach Island, Insh Island.
Indeed! I'm trying to point him away from the Yellow Taxi Co.

Peter

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

For accomodation you can usually get B&B at this time of year. Or you may get one of the lodges at Puffin which sleep about 6. Trouble is, that means Puffin would get some of your money!

C

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

There are also self catering chalets at Cologin Homes - but they are out of town - had many a good night there.

Jeremy Inglis Independent Hostel is also worth a visit if you are looking at the cheap end. It is just on the other side of the river from the Shite Of India.

I don't think I will ever forget the vision of Jeremy chasing a lady of ill repute and her punter out of his hostel after catching them at it...  using one of his rooms (obviously without permission)  
Ahh, memeories  

Simon

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>We've stayed as a big group (24 total) at Tralee Caravan Park, I know it's caravan but not like any I've seen before on this planet, they are huge and sleep 6 in luxury with 3 piece suit and everything not just some poxy padded benches.

Added bonus is you can launch from the bottom of the site which is on ardmucknish (if i've got thr right one) bay, so 5 min wizz out to the Breda.

Not sure if they are still there but Alchemy diving used to be on site so easy fills too.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

We stayed with Alchemy for a weekend in one of their 6 berth statics - we had a ball.  Just kept the noise down as there were kiddies on site and the trailers aren't well soundproofed.  (Oooh, missus!)
  Also Dave Tye aka Glenshalloch caravan park does bunkhouses for divers, 12 per bunk house I think.  They're good, shop, microwave and hot drink machine for divers to use, with air fills, places to wash and store kit etc.  Very diver friendly.  I'll stay with either in a minute.  (They like frogs as well!!)  Dive safely.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

Hello! Here we go again!

Someone asks about diving in Oban and almost immediately it turns into a "lets have a go at Puffin" thread.

For YD, read Handbag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ April 01 2004,21:24)]I think Puffin are brilliant, so there!  

Very friendly and very efficient.
Quite often, I go for a dive in the evening off the beach at the caravan site. At the height of the season, we have about 350 'vans on here, going on 1000 people, so there's no way I can really walk through the site un-noticed.

When little Jimmy and young Joanne see me, they think:wow, coooool.  
me, me, me!

When they've pestered mom and dad sufficiently, they all troop off down to Puffin for a try-dive.

Now I haven't got any kids,(like the pleasure, 'aint having the pain!), but trust me, when those kids, AND mom and dad see me next, the smiles on their faces and the barrage of comments I get makes me feel damn good!  

The point being, I don't put my reputation into the hands of wankers and I know it's safe with Puffin.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

thanks everybody,I've managed to get booked up for B&B,but I've taken on board all the places that you've recommended for eating, and other places to stay in the future. I'm looking forward to it,as I've not done any real wreck diving before,so it should be something of an experience!!
                        cheers
                                 Fraser

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

OK then,

So if i am driving up from Kent to Scapa and aim to dive SOM on the Thursday and Friday a couple of questions?

Scenario about 6 divers (other 6 are going up Fri night), all experienced Dover wreckers.

I would like to do 2 wrecks each day plus maybe a scenic on the Thursday.

questions:-

1. Boats?
2. How much longer around to Lochalane than Oban?
3. Accom is flexible as we will have tents, its in Aug.
4. Bottles and weight hire?
5. Dive Plan recomendations?

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ April 02 2004,23:15)]OK then,

So if i am driving up from Kent to Scapa and aim to dive SOM on the Thursday and Friday a couple of questions?

Scenario about 6 divers (other 6 are going up Fri night), all experienced Dover wreckers.

I would like to do 2 wrecks each day plus maybe a scenic on the Thursday.

questions:-

1. Boats?
2. How much longer around to Lochalane than Oban?
3. Accom is flexible as we will have tents, its in Aug.
4. Bottles and weight hire?
5. Dive Plan recomendations?

Regards

Paul
Paul.

In no particular order:

2. Lochaline is about 70 miles from Oban + a short ferry trip across Loch Linnhe, at Corran. Not the best of roads to drive. It takes me about two hours but someone will no doubt tell you they've done it in 25 minutes!

3. If you're staying in Oban, there are two sites for tents. Oban Caravan and Camping park, 01631 562425, next door to Puffin, or Oban Divers, 01631 566618, just inland. Oban Divers has a dive shop, air station and camp site. The caravan and camping site is, errr, just that! Bear in mind though, that all the sites up here are VERY busy in August, if you haven't booked, you might struggle. There's a few more places out of town, give Oban T.I.C a ring, 01631 563122.

1,4,5. Puffin can sort all those out for you. They run rib's daily to all the local sites, the Hispania will take you about 45 mins to get there. Email them for details or check their website.

I can't personally give you any info on the other operators in the area 'coz I haven't dived with them. Somebody will probably be able to help you with that, and have a little dig at Puffin at the same time, no doubt,('aint jealousy a terrible thing?  
)

All the best and enjoy your diving.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

o.k. Paul

Boats
With 6 you may be struggling, unless you can pitch in with an existing group on a hard boat. Some of the boats already mentioned may be prepared to go with lesser numbers. Puffin operate a RIB type shuttle from Oban which makes a quick dash and does "some" of the wrecks in the Sound although they tend to do the wrecks in the sound nearer to Oban.

Lochaline is at least another hours drive driving from Oban  ( via 10min ferry crossing). ALL the hardboats out of Lochaline,same problem boats normally go out with at least 10,may go out with less but expect to pay the extra.

Campsites in Oban,
As mentioned excellent one at Oban Divers. There isn't actually a campsite at Lochaline there is a small one at Fuinary (think the spellings right) a mile or so north of Lochaline. Camping be prepared for the possible attack of the midges!!!

Equipment Hire
I think Oban Divers hire out & the Dive Centre at Lochaline also has kit.

Dive Plan Recommendations,
The Hispania's a must have a gander at the wreck tour links thats been posted previously.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ April 03 2004,00:01)]There isn't actually a campsite at Lochaline there is a small one at Fuinary (think the spellings right) a mile or so north of Lochaline.
Is that the one on the shore just before the Shuna?

If it is, it looks a great wee place to stay.

Tempted to have a couple of days over there and shore dive the Shuna.  

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ April 03 2004,00:01)]Dive Plan Recommendations,
The Hispania's a must have a gander at the wreck tour links thats been posted previously.
Rondo is another good one - rudder in about 5m, bows in about 50m (depending on state of tide).

Although not in the Sound - the Oban based shuttle type boats will also go to the Breda (think the James Eagan Layne of the north, but with more on it).

Lochaline will add time on to your driving to get there (and also probably on your way north), so I would look at Oban first and see if you can get spaces and then Lochaline to see if you can get on boats out of there.

Simon

G

·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ April 02 2004,23:54)]and have a little dig at Puffin at the same time, no doubt,('aint jealousy a terrible thing?  
)
But you get free boat diving from Puffin for sending folk, hardly the basis for an objective opinion.

Lochaline from the South is only just over an hour longer than Oban if you go through Glencoe, the road is better. There are no operators other than Puffin and hardboats operating from Oban anymore unless you grab some of the fishermen that may take you out.
 For wreck diving Lochaline is the place to go but as said before you haven't much chance of getting a boat at this late date.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ April 02 2004,23:15)]So if i am driving up from Kent to Scapa and aim to dive SOM on the Thursday and Friday a couple of questions?
Paul, we did this in 1999 and dived with Puffin and stayed in their self catering house in Oban, we could not fault them.
We could only book one day on their hardboat and dived on their rib the other day.
The hardboat is much more comfortable however we had to pay for the full boat with only eight divers.
On the rib they charge per person.

Now having been to lochaline l would recomend that you stay and dive their even if you have to pay for a full boat.
l would have thought being mid week that getting the boats would not be a problem.

However l would also say you'd be better diving the SO Mull on the way back, because l realised that if you're going to break the journey, you're better off doing it on the return leg when you knackered.
What we did last year was Scapa for a week then to Seahouses, rest on Sunday, dive Mon and Tuesday then drive home tuesday evening.

You going to pop in and see us over Easter then?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Howard

We are planning to break the journey back at St Abbs
 or it may be the other way around. I am still trying to confirm numbers for the diving walkabout part of the trip which is becomeing a bit of a pain

I will probably stop off to see you all at some stage over the weekend. I am having to work this weekend as i am in Weymouth for 2 out of the next 3 weekends, plus a trip out on Taurus on the Sat between them

Unfortunatly i had to settle for trainees in Lakes today

Guys, thanks for all the tips, i will chat to the guys and the dive centres and put a cunning plan together.

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 20 of 33 Posts