YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi peeps, just got back in the early hours of this morning from Oban.

Been a long time since i was up there last and that was a full week's livaboard. Our charter was the very well kitted out and run boat MV Faithful owned and run by Mike & Jenny.

The Faithfull is a converted fishing boat that Mike has done himself and is well kitted out with one shower 2 toilets, heating in all cabins. She has 2 twin cabins and another cabin that sleeps 6, he charges £60 per day which includes your accomodation, breakfast, lunch & dinner on the first day and brecky and lunch on the second day, it also includes your air, he is putting in Nitrox next year and the good thing you only need to take off your reg as he has very long hoses for the air, so no dragging your kit around the boat.

Now enough advertising, on to the diving.

They have had pretty crap weather up there for the last week or so, but we were blessed with calm seas and nice days.

Our first dive was the SS Breda, IMHO the best wreck in the sound, with vix from 5m upto over 10 in places. Loads of holds to poke around with most of the ships cargo still onboard, we saw truck chassis and bits of planes as well as general supplies like boots. And her huge propeller.

Next was the SS Shuna, not the best wreck but a nice rummage dive, again vis was not too bad.

After our first dive we were then given lunch which was the traditional fry up. We settled in for the night in Tobermoray, a few drinks had by all, in moderation of course.

On sunday we then did the Ronda, ive not done her before and she is a most strange wreck, more of a wall dive than a wreck dive, 6m to the top which is the stern and 52m at her bow, there is not much to see once past midships as she is well broken up and no real point in going to the bottom, unless you like to see 50m on your computer. She was a nice rummage dive but as we couldnt get out of our birth in time thanks too another boat we missed the start of slack and so had a bit of current, which got a lot worse the deeper you went.

Our last dive of the weekend was the Thesis, stern in 20 and bow in 35, a good rummage dive, reminds me a lot of the Tabarka in Scapa, no plates on her just her ribs, again a current was running at the start but slackened off after about 10 mins.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend, there were 9 of us diving and it was a great bunch of people.

Some would say a long way to go fro a weekend and there right but well worth it.

Laurence

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

The Breda is not in the sound, she is on the other side of the Firth in Ardmucknish bay. She has no prop! it was salvaged by Dave Tye and Co years ago, do you mean the iron spare?
Rondo (ex War Wonder 1)not Ronda and the Thesis bow is the shallow part, stern is in 30+m.
Sorry for being pendantic!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>HI Rupert, its ok i was waiting for someone to correct me.

I did get confused, the prop is on the Shuna, not the Breda and i didnt see the Breda's spare

And i didnt know where the Breada is, as long as she's in Oban, i dont care.

All the best.

laurence

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I did the Shuna and Breda Sat and Sun respectively. Great dives and I will swear blind I saw a prop on the Breda.
 Well narked or what.

Yes Rupert very Pedantic, chill out it's meant to be fun.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Rupert on this one. I've never seen a prop on the Breda but there is one lying flat on the deck of the Shuna and one sitting upright near the blunt end of the Hispania.

I don't think the Breda would have ever even carried a spare prop due to the shape of her stern.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts