YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just out of interest - the DVs that get put on the RB's cylinders to act as bailout if needed - is there any consensus as to where to store them?

Cos you've got two - diluent & oxygen - so they can't both be necklaced, presumably.. And the valves are down the bottom so you can't run the hoses down to your waist strap or anything like that.. and on the Inspiration you've got those OTS CLs in the way of the shoulder straps... so where do they go?

I assume the DVs on any extra cylinders carried as bailout just get the standard stage rigging.. but where do the RB's own DVs go?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Dom

I have just bought my yellow box yesterday

It is rigged, that the buddy auto air is used as a bail out reg for the diluent, and it has a hose comming off the oxygen stage with a quick connector on it so i can change from in board diluent or in board oxygen, with out having two OC regs.

Hope this helps

Simon

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Congratulations
Got it wet yet?

Somebody else able to change hoses on DVs.. where do these things come from??

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 16 2003,13:53)]Somebody else able to change hoses on DVs.. where do these things come from??
Dominic,

The ones I own are all from Ocean Reef (UK agency is with Sea & Sea) and I believe the hoses are shown on their web site (for what it's worth).

Approx RRP is - male connector (fit to reg/switch) abt £13
                    hose abt £46

Sea & Sea don't sell direct to the public so you would need to go through your LDS.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is rigged, that the buddy auto air is used as a bail out reg for the diluent, and it has a hose comming off the oxygen stage with a quick connector on it so i can change from in board diluent or in board oxygen, with out having two OC regs.
Sounds like a nice touch - is it one of Bob the Builder's?
I've dumped the auto-air and have a scubapro 2nd stage necklaced off the dil bottle (CLs not a problem Dom) and nothing on the 02.  Got a 7l of O2 that resides on the boat ready for skip to drop if it's all gone tits, though that quick-connector sounds like a nice idea.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Is it me reading it wrong or does he just mean a BC inflator hose which connects to the auto air if he wants to swap from diluent bailout to o2 (which has to be the biggest potential cockup ever IMO)

I apologise if I'm wrong but he doesn't say he has ANY bailout DV, just the standard auto air.

As far as needing two OC regs for bailout, I don't think it is usual to have a bailout to O2, just the diluent as it would be a disaster to bailout to o2 at depth.

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've dumped the auto-air and have a scubapro 2nd stage necklaced off the dil bottle
Fair enough. How do you route the hose?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I don't think it is usual to have a bailout to O2, just the diluent as it would be a disaster to bailout to o2 at depth
I've come across several mentions of RB divers having DVs on their O2 - if they don't have one, they can't do accelerated deco without a drop tank, and that might keep them down too long for the single diluent cylinder to supply..

Mainly an Alpinist concern, I suppose

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Someone on here needs to do some homework before asking questions.

The wing inflator/ autoair is fed from the air diluent bottle, so i have bail out for diluent. also i have a hose from the O2 witha quick connector on it to change the auto air  to o2 bail out, this is only to be used above 6m, because i might die.

Why do i need a OC reg ?

Cant wait till sunday to get it wet

Simon

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Simon @ Oct. 17 2003,10:23)]The wing inflator/ autoair is fed from the air diluent bottle, so i have bail out for diluent. also i have a hose from the O2 witha quick connector on it to change the auto air  to o2 bail out, this is only to be used above 6m, because i might die.

Why do i need a OC reg ?
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Told you so

Simon, the auto air is renowned for leaking and producing a wet breathe. If you had to bail out for real the setup might be a bit of a pain. It is common for Inspiration owners to replace this with a reliable DV.

Hope that helps

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Told you so
Smartarse

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] the auto air is renowned for leaking and producing a wet breathe
This is true... but only because they're usually poorly maintained. A well-looked after AutoAir is a problem-free AutoAir. And they're easy enough to adjust - pop off the cover and adjust the nut to suit.
I still don't like them, but that's my Personal Preference at work

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dom, got a long hose that comes off the 1st stage through the casing and out of the top alongside the right hand loop hose.
I use a regular 2nd stage cos even though the Auto Air's reliable if looked after it's still a crap breathe.  Also like my OH SH!T reg where I can find it quickly, DIR stylee  

A good few RB divers have DVs on the O2 side as well, but from personal preference I'm not keen on the idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

I prefer the simple approach.  Offboard bailout.  Adding regs to O2 adds risk of losing O2!  I've bailed off the auto air from 40m as a drill (whilst carrying sidemounted bailouts) and it was fine.  Not ideal though.

For anyone wanting to do accelerated deco you can carry sidemounted O2.  Obviously you wouldn't do accelerated deco on a sub 100m dive due to the CNS clock consideration.  In fact I prefer to dive at a setpoint of 1.0 and jack it up on deco, though this is not a common approach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts