YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm looking for a dry suit and my local shop does good deals on Oceanic suits. I've noticed there are a number of Aerdura owners on this site and I'd be grateful for any feedback on how you rate the suit. Similarly if there are any Flexia users out there please comment.

Thanks in advance

regards

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I've got an Aerdura Ti and as you'd expect I think it's great. It's hardier than my wife's Otter Hammerhead Pro and is dry and easy to maintain.

The valves are of a good quality and it's eay to don and doff. The neoprene neck warmer does make a difference in the cold water.

Dave's had problem's with the boots on his but mine are still absolutely fine so far.

I think it's a good suit but it depends how much you've been quoted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Gavin

Thanks. They quote around £625 but they throw in an undersuit and the orientation course for free so that compares well with, say, Simplyscuba who around the £575 mark.

Is it as warm as they claim? How thick an undersuit would you normally use?

Regards

Philip

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I use a weezle extreme all year round and it's plenty warm. Don't let the dive shop palm you off with a cheap undersuit.

I take it you've never dived a drysuit before - why not try a few different makes and the make your own mind up. I think most of these decisions are purely personal choice sometimes as there are a lot of good products out there.

For £625 you can buy quite a few different suits. Having said that I wouldn't swap mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Gavin

Again thanks very much. You're right - never had a drysuit. I've been using a Scubapro Scotia semi-dry which is actually very dry. But (a) it's a bugger to get on and off and (b) the dry suit zip has decided that my shoulders are too big and last time we couldn't close it.

As for trying on different types I take the point - real choice seems to be between a trilam suit or a compressed neoprene. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm looking at the Aerdura because in my experience Oceanic produce very good quality kit and as already noted my dive shop offer a competitive deal. they also do Poseidon and Typhoon suits, one of which (can't remember which) is in compressed neoprene.

As for undersuits Oceanic sell the Uggi which looks quite nicely made.

Regards

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Have you tried it on, Welshman?

I only ask because I considered the Aerdura (old style) for a while, but then decided that *I* found it a little stiff (a function of it's hardiness I guess).  The Flexia is the other end of the scale with some give in the material.

The neoprene neckwarmer was described to me as "nice to have, but don't choose a suit over it!".  A scarf underneath supposedly does a similar job (actually, as I am in DIY dive mode at the moment, could't you pretty simply add a neoprene neck warmer to one's existing suit?  Hmmmm have to investigate that...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Lou

I haven't yet as the shop is temporarily out of stock but I'm planning on doing so within the next week or two. I'm not surprised you found it stiff (presume no real difference between old and new versions) since It is fairly substantial. I'll just have to try them all on and see what suits best.

regards

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I, too, had to make this exact decision. I went for the flexia and am very happy with it. Reasons as follows

1.  Much better fir on me
2.  Much more comfy
3.  Cheaper (got it for £472)
4. Neck cover id great

I`ve stayed warm in water down to 9 degrees and have no probs whatsoever.

Underneath I wear a weezle extreme - bloody warm in cold conditions.

Further advice:  Try as many on as you can before you buy.

Cheers

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Welshman
Try Diverswarehouse for that sort of money, ask if they have any suits where it was ordered and not collected. They'll do a very good price, I've just aquired a Otter Skin from them, too good to miss, warm neck, pee zip, two pockets, slate pockets and even a drinking straw (somebody told me it was a Pee Valve but I don't believe them)
Give them a bell for nothing, you might be surprised

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Kirky and Andy

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly give Diverswarehouse a ring.

Regards

Philip

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

I had bought the Aerdura last Christmas. From here (Canada) they soaked me &#361450 + 15%tax. I think that comes to a total of about Stg850.  Its highway robbery compared to your prices. I dive all year round and so far it held OK. Underneath I wear two sets of thermals, fleece track pants, a combat jersey, and a pair of 100% wool socks. The whole combination keeps me warm enough. Oh, that price didn't include jack sh... , not even inflator hose. Good thing I had one with my old suit. I had to struggle with the storeowner to throw in a mesh bag.

The suit is a bit stiff but seems "heavy duty". The neck warmer is a blessing for the winter diving up here, but there is a draw back. It never dries out. I heard that the Royal Navy got the same type suit, is this true? Do any of you use the foot weight pockets or do you just wrap them around the ankles?

Cheers

Lawrence

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Lawrence

It continues to surprise me how much some items of equipment cost in North America (I'm assuming there's no material difference between the US and Canada). Traditionally the adage was that a &#36 bought you a £ i.e US?canada always 2/3rds of the UK price.

Anyway thanks for the info on the Aerdura. Much appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

A bit off topic but :
1. The best neck-warmer is not a neoprene one on the outside of the suit but a fleece tube with a drawstring on the inside of your neck-seal. Polar Bears (Tel. 01566773654) sell them for about £10. Maybe Lou could do them cheaper, being into the DIY thing

2. There's no need to spend a fortune on an expensive undersuit. I wear a 100 g Thinsultae undersuit bought from Kent Divers (postal order) for £70 all year round. With a single layer of thermal underwear in the summer and double in the (Swedish) winter, I'm never cold.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Welshman
Not wishing to hijack your question about dry suits but...
Having seen Johns post, I usually dive with a Neoprene suit and have now aquired a membrane. I was thinking of getting a Wezzle Extreme under suit for it. Is this over kill?
So what sort of undersuits (wieght etc) do others wear and how do they affect the owners boyancy?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Have any one tried a wet suit under the dry suit as under garment?

Friend of mine tried it. He said that if he gets a breach he wouldn't be cold.

Good idea I suppose. Can’t see my self doing that – I would be like the Michelin Man.  

Lawrence

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Andy W

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. All this input is very helpful. What comes across on the undersuit issue is that everyone has a different tolerance to cold - there's a thread on Scubaboard which is similar.

Regards

philip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts