YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been to see a LDS today who have recommended the Oceanic EOS reg, FDX-10 (1st stage) and the oceanic octo-swiv as my alternate. I mainly dive in warmer waters at present, but have just found a dive club in my area, so UK diving is very definitely in the near future for me.

Has anyone here dived with this reg set-up? I've spent a good few hours looking for reviews online and have yet to find a bad one. However there are far fewer reviews for this reg than others I've looked into, so I'd like to know if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with it?

I know Sport Diver recently had it coming out top in one of its tests (Dive Magazine did too but I cannot for the life of me find it online again!), but it can't hurt to ask around for some more independant reviews!! :D

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
i dive with these on my twin set there a good reg and 1st stage but just maybe a bit expensive if i was buying now i would look at the cheaper apeks model as they offer the same performance but about half the price, if you want a good setup that can be used in the uk u can't go wrong with this Apeks ATX40 DS4, ATX 40 Octopus, Double Console by Apeks full set for only £234,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I had what is technically my LDS recommend the Apeks, but I went on a little jolly with my mum to London today and ended up in a big dive store with a solid reputation among my friends. I was discussing all the ones I was considering with him and he came up with this set (1st, 2nd, octo and guage) for £425-00. considering the list price (not reatil, I know there are so much cheaper around) for the EOS is around the £400 mark in oceanic's catelogue this seems like a cracking deal. I really do not mind spending money on a good reg - especially one with parts provided by the manufacturer - if it is getting good reviews.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! :D

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
That a good price for the full setup, if you go for the fdx10 go for a din fitting as there a pain to get converted from a-clamp to din with a retro fit kit plus comes in handy if you ever goto a twinset

that is one of the benefit the free service parts but these normally only cost about a £10 or less for a normal reg set.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Mcroson - great to see someone has used them in the UK and found them a good reg. And thanks for the advice on the fitting :D at my level right now it doesn't make much difference, especially as the school(s) I use have cylinders to fit either. Handy to know DIN may be something I need in the future, so will ask them for a DIN fitting :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both me and my girlfriend dive with Oceanic EOS reg, FDX10 1st stage and Octo-Swiv. Found them to be very comfortable compared to dive school kit, but other than that we have nothing to compare them to in all honesty, we're only new to diving having only clocked up 30 open water dives so far.

Like you I read reviews of the EOS and found it hard to find anything other than good reviews, that coupled with the fact that all the divemasters and instructors at our dive centre used them, it just seemed like a good bit of kit to buy, if its good enough for them to dive day in day out with in warm and cold water surely it's good enough for a novice to dive with now and again.

We also went for DIN, and the only place so far we have struggled with cylinders was in the Domincan Republic, they leaned towards A-Clamp and we had to use DIN to A-Clamp adaptors.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
The Octo-swiv is awful, really awful.

Missus Janos and I both had them and I'm glad we don't have them now. I would get a proper second stage instead.
That said I do like the rest of the Oceanic line and we use those still.

Take no notice of Dive Masters using a particular set of kit - often it's provided free and it's cheaper to use the shops kit than service your own.

Janos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts