RH Post:
2nd stage
SPG
Dry suit inflation hose

LH Post:
2nd stage
SPG
BC inflation hose

But where do I put my octopus? I dont want one for each post as that is just too much clutter; or do I?

Stu

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
You don't. You have a long hose off the RH post with a yellow reg on the end and tell your buddy that's theirs wherever it is. When twindie diving you should always have enough gas left in each of your cylinders to complete the rest of the dive. Otherwise what's the point?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I dont run an occy on either of my indie twins. In the same way I dont run an occy on a manifolded set. If I lose a cylinder/reg then the dive is over and its time to surface. If my buddy loses a reg he will of course have his own independant backup anyway.

Matt

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
most peeps who have indies only have the two 2nd stages.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
most peeps who have indies only have the two 2nd stages.

Err more like 50/50.

Unlike a manifold the indie user will be swapping regs and that means
both free and necklaced regs will be used.

Now add a OOA diver. He HAS to use the free one and that now means
the donor will be unable to gas manage. Now he should have enough to
get to the surface and do deco for both, but things could get interesting
if he has to swap gases around.

Yes you can work with two, but those of us who do a lot of teaching
need an occi so it makes sense to add another one. Left cylinder is ok,
but better is the right cylinder. This now means that both are acessable
on a long (er) hose and you have that necklaced one.

So 3 regs. One in occi position left. 2 others in standard twin rig over rt
shoulder.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
we might need a vote on this one terry.

and no-one has mentioned auto air or stages yet.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Now add a OOA diver. He HAS to use the free one and that now means
the donor will be unable to gas manage. Now he should have enough to
get to the surface and do deco for both, but things could get interesting
if he has to swap gases around.
Terry why would you want to, I plan to have enough gas in each cylinder to do an ascent including deco, so if the dive is ended prematurely then each cylinder will have more than enough gas for each diver, so no need for any reg swaps.
The only time I would then swap regs is a) if I had a stage or b) the buddy breathed more gas than me and ran out of my back gas before he completed his/our deco obligations (on back gas only) in which case we'd buddy breathe or he'd have to surface and take the potential hit, but tbh his gas consumption shouldnt increase that much, assuming he's a switched on twin tank diver too.
I can see you might not be in such a fortunate position if your buddy was a single tank inexperienced diver (but then he should have a pony anyway - open can of worms)
Matt

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
I'm diving my 7s as independant and, to date, have not added a 3rd 2nd stage

I was working on the rule of thirds, and with switching, both will have at least 1/3 in them so if I'm on the long hose I'll give that to OOG diver and use the other. Obviously we'll be leaving :)

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
If all divers are on indies there is no need for an AAS. If you have a mixed team then you may need to donate at some point. Hence do not have a mixed team. If like Terry you choose to teach with different kit to the trainees (not suitable for basic level training in any way) you will have to use this untidy compromise. To my mind a poor choice, but I'm sure Terry has his reasons - just not something for everyday diving.

Manifolded twins are a far better choice for open water diving in most circumstances. If you need to ask these questions I would query why you have chosen this configuration TBH.

Chris

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
I used to have one second stage of each cylinder. I had each reg on a long hose because when somebody you where not even diving with swims up to you and takes the reg from your mouth nothing short of stabbing them will make them give it back. If they are breathing on a long hose this gives you room to delay aDSMB an ascend. It is all very well saying this is my octopus woops mean AS however when poo hits fan it is the the reg that is clearly working that gets taken.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
If all divers are on indies there is no need for an AAS. If you have a mixed team then you may need to donate at some point. Hence do not have a mixed team. If like Terry you choose to teach with different kit to the trainees (not suitable for basic level training in any way) you will have to use this untidy compromise. To my mind a poor choice, but I'm sure Terry has his reasons - just not something for everyday diving.
Reasons are simple. I teach a lot, so if single I use an occi, if on twins
I use an occi. Close as possible to student :cool:

But ............

I choose indies, because I dont agree with a principle that says you MUST
shutdown to survive, preffering to just swap a reg.

Ok cut to the chase.

Buddy OOA and i'm on my necklaced reg/rt post. He's on long hose/left post.

He's now sucking at a 1 bar equivilent at say 50 lts/min and you can see
the guage going down. His only alternative is my necklaced rig which true
can be longer and yes we can BB, but in his state that's gonna be fun.

So the occi is fixed left but on the rt post.

He now has two regs, one for each cylinder, both long enough, to feed
left so he can swim alongside. If an AAS is needed again we can go face
to face and both feed the right way.

But of course I also have a bonus in that while he is on the occi, I can if
neccesary use both regs and balance my gas in any way I want.

I've been diving this way for not far off 8 years now after a lot of thought
of just about every option. As for untidy compromise, it's one single
reg Chris. Not exactly gonna end civilisation as we know it :teeth:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Makes a lot of sense, I mainly use manifolded twins but when I have gone with twindies I haven't added an extra reg. The long hose does seem a v.good idea though, have looked at quite a few peoples kit and this seems to be fairly common. I suppose if you were diving a twinset then you could run an extra reg with a long hose but keep it bungeed out of the way on your cylinder, thus having the 3 regs but still keeping the streamlining of kit. I also suppose that it becomes a potentially easier situation if you always dive with the same small group as everyone gets to know each others kit (not in a 'dark-side team situation).

HTH,

Ben

EDIT : If you have had time to reassess gas and all and have noticed your guage dropping like a tuppeny wh**es pants then you have probably had time to calm your buddy down and lower his air consumption.....maybe.....who knows!!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I will regret this :redface:

Reasons are simple. I teach a lot, so if single I use an occi, if on twins I use an occi. Close as possible to student :cool:
No it isn't. You teach on a single you have two 2nd stages which are in plain view of the trainee. A twinset without an occi has two 2nd stages which are in plain view of the trainee. A twinset with an occi has three 2nd stages.

He's now sucking at a 1 bar equivilent at say 50 lts/min and you can see the guage going down. His only alternative is my necklaced rig which true can be longer and yes we can BB, but in his state that's gonna be fun.
If your gas plan is right there should be enough gas to ascend in the cylinder he is breathing. If he is breathing at 50l/min+ and your plan only allowed 25l/min then you have to calm him down. If you can not calm this buddy down they have absolutely no business being at whatever depth it is which means your 1/3 reserve is not enough to surface with - so get the poor unfortunate to the surface in as controlled a fashion as possible as soon as possible (which probably would not be very controlled at all).

To be quite honest if the OOA is chugging air at such a rate I really don't want him anywhere near the gas supply I am connected to. Both divers OOA sounds a far worse situation than one.

But of course I also have a bonus in that while he is on the occi, I can if neccesary use both regs and balance my gas in any way I want.
The only bonus I can see is that you don't have to swap hoses about when using a single.

There are several other drawbacks of an occi. Two divers on a single first stage with one or both breathing heavily can cause a 1st stage to go into free flow. 2nd stages have to be about the most common source of leaks and freeflows. You are presenting a choice where there need not be one. You have another thing which can become unstowed and cause an entanglement...etc, etc.

I've been diving this way for not far off 8 years now after a lot of thought of just about every option.
Well I guess you like to be different.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I will regret this :redface:
No you wont, cause TBH I can't be arsed to bite.

Off on the boat in the Solent tommorrow, and chance for an evening
glass now, so I'll leave it at that, be happy with what I consider to be
fine for me and dare to be different :cool:

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Hope it's west of the Island, cause the viz at the moment is stunning
at the mo. Will be off the Needles at midday :teeth:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The biggest risk in an OOA incident is that it is not your buddy who is OOA, you are unlucky enough to the the first person to be found by someone else, on a single, no pony, ... If you are lucky, he's low on air - you have time to switch regs, if your unlucky he'll go for the one he can find quickest - it'll be in your mouth!

I don't use an octi, but do have an autoair, as this comes over the left side, its also the side with the long hose, but there is no guarantee that the poseidon will end up in the other guy's mouth.

Also if you are doing a lot of teaching with people you expect to run out of air, hopefully you are not planning to do too much deco anyway!

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
bugied primary hose on ya right hand cylinder ! with ur left cyliners reg on a

bungee cord round your neck !

im not sure why u would want an octopus?

:teeth:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts