YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm doing the Brothers and Elphinstone itinery. Not done it before - has anyone on here? What are the highlights? What can I expect?

Cheers
GJ

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

lots of sharks and dolphins, by all accounts, at least that's what I'm hoping for in April
If you can get hold of the Nov 2003 issue of BSAC Dive  mag, there's a five page review of the Southern Red Sea and what to expect, lets just say that I don't think you're going to be disappointed

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Haven't yet got to the Brothers (3 failed attempts) but dived Elphinstone and Daedalus on a so-called "Deep south" itinerary last June. The diving is superb - lots of sharks, big fish, dolphins, a dugong and untouched reefs with enormous shoals of fish. I envy you!

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Gary,

I was there in July last year - Absolutely fantastic. I posted a trip report when I got back and if I've got the hang of these new fangled computer thingys you should be able to read it here

HTH and have a good time. Which boat are you on? Who did you book it with? etc...

Cheers,

Noel

Added: Yay it works. In that case you can see some of the pictures I brought back here

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Um Hammerheads, Reef sharks, maybe a Oceanic whitetip.

We saw a Whale shark at the Brothers,  unfortunately it was just as we arrived in the late evening, but we could see it circling at the surface from the boat.

Also there are a couple of good wrecks at the Brothers, the Numibia and the Aida 2.

Elphinstone can end up being a 35m+ dive, if you head right for the end to check out if there are any hammerheads around and the currents coming across the lower plateau can be extremely severe at times.

Back to the Brothers,  I reckon we saw hammerheads on at least 8 out of 10 of the morning dives,  we dropped down to between 25/35m headed out into the blue slightly, just keeping the wall in site and waited,  they normally were spotted within 5 minutes.

Superb, enjoy.

Daz

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Noel Johnson @ Feb. 15 2004,07:16)]Which boat are you on? Who did you book it with? etc...
On Excel; booked with Tony Backhurst. Only downside, i guess, is a 3 hour coach trip - as we're flying into Hurgada.

Thanks for the links guys

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Even better. Just read your trip report noel..... excel sounds great. Apparantly, grant and sonia are away though.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Grant and Sonia are moving to another boat, can't remember the name or when though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Feb. 15 2004,21:46)]Grant and Sonia are moving to another boat, can't remember the name or when though.
I believe it's the Hurricane, which is apparently a new boat starting operation any day now, if I remeber correctly.
We were on the Excel last June. I's a great boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts