YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK troops. On the picture above take a wee minute to look at the hose protector. What, actually really quite usefull thing, does this do except "protect your hose?" It's there for all to see. I only learned this the other week.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Bugger!!!! I thought I was one of the few that new that's what the wee circular bit is for.

Peter

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Tells you in the hefty manual you get with any Scubapoor product RTFM

I always take them off anyway and chuck them.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>isn't it so that if you loose a reg you can place your hand on the 1st stage and any hose with a protector on will lead to a reg as opposed to a contents gauge etc......in scubapro theory anyway.

just a guess and I'm sure some-one far more knowledgeable will come along

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Mary - nice idea but doesn't explain why my scubapro console thingy came with a hose protector on it - wouldn't want to try breathing from that!

Tom

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>see I knew there would be someone more knowledgeable out there

I was just going by my regs but I have a sunnto gauge so hence no protector thingy

Hence........ I my situation my theory above would work  

other than the fact I always have one necklaced anyway....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've been wondering all these years what that funny little screw thingy that didn't unscrew was for!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Nov. 07 2003,18:21)]I've been wondering all these years what that funny little screw thingy that didn't unscrew was for!
Thank you john

At least I know it wasn't just me.

Peter

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

l thought it was a handle for lifting the cylinder or lowering the cylinder to a boat.  

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Its for trapping saltwater under, that way the hose connections will corrode and you will have to buy new ones.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Not unless you unscrew it by the thing that doesn't unscrew and pull it back and rinse underneath...as your mum taught you when you were little..

It does actually stop grating of the hose against the metal...just stops waggling fraying movements. I've seen a hose get sliced, well, slit on a crowded dive boat...simply because there was no hose protector bit...as far as I can see there's no harm in having them but good protection for a vulnerable area.

I hope this post wasn't a piss take...

Graham

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Garf @ Nov. 08 2003,10:11)]ahhhh, so that's how you take the bloody things off. Ive had one sliding slowly down the host for a few months and haven't been able to figure out how to put it back on properly, or just remove it altogether

Gareth
<font color='#0000FF'>slide it up to the top of the hose and put a cable tie on, the hose, that will stop it moving.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Darth,

My wife has just read your signature and concludes that that's the funniest she's seen on YD.

I'm not so sure myself but thought I'd let you know.

Graham

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Right I'll explain very slowly for you all as most of you seemed to have missed it. That little "screwy thing that doesn't unscrew" is for holding a spare O-ring in. That's all it does, no more, no less. Capiche!!!

Peter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Imported post

good call about the cable tie.

Also, and I suspect this is a dumb question. How do you take the bloody things OFF the hose.

Gareth

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Remove whats at the other end and slide the protector all the way along the hose until it falls off the end opposite the 1st stage.

Matt

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

my old regs (sherwood brut - yes they were my first ones, cash was tight ok) had two wee coloured rings on them which allegedly meant something to do with the service.  I still had to pay for parts, but it was from deep blue......

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kinetic @ Nov. 08 2003,15:14)]

Darth,

My wife has just read your signature and concludes that that's the funniest she's seen on YD.

I'm not so sure myself but thought I'd let you know.

Graham
<font color='#0000FF'>it works for me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts