YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK Troops,

We're all in the habit of reading some very good and truly entertaining dive reports from the various YD members who travel to the 'far-flung' and come back and then have us in the aisles laughing or making us dead jealous that we weren't on the trip........

So, what say you we cut to the chase and organise our own Troop Gig to say, the Red Sea? Liveaboard or shore-based - I care not a jot!! The crack would be fierce and it would be something that we could all share as a team experience!! Oh, and have a few moderately polite, medium-sweet sherries as a group into the bargain ;)

So come! Let's be having your suggestions for dates and venues. I'll kick off so we can put a stake in the ground at least:

Red Sea - July - Liveaboard - Northern (wreck and reef) Itinerary.

We could use Tony Blackburn or Regal (or any of the biggies) and get a stonkin group discount. Not everyone has to dive, so non-diving partners and bairns would also be welcome - although if the latter were planned, it would probably be best if we were shore-based (something for them to do during the day, pool, bar etc.)

I have to say that I'll go anywhere, any month, boat or land. But then again I'm a completely sad git! Like you didn't know that already, right?

So let's be having you...!!

· Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,354 Posts
Imported post

im sure brenster that well be having more than a little chat about that this weekend yah?  ands forget the medium sweet sherry...thats for puffs, get me a pimms!!

· Registered
3,877 Posts
Imported post

Sherry? Pimms? Worra boot the broon dog like!? :boozer: yuzzer aal a buncha soft suzzen ***** !! :speak_evil:
Actually, red wine is my preferred tipple but hey! I'm not predjudiced.

A capital idea Mr Tierney, unfortunately I have to wait until I get a new job before I can think about live-aboard hols (fixed term contract work, sigh...). However I reckon I could be up for that (employment willing)

· C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,414 Posts
Imported post

Good idea Bren - what about Malta?  I plan to go in Feb and meet a diver, Ginge (boyfriend) is coming too and he's a non-diver, but not missing on the chance of a break in the sun.  I've been to the Red Sea before and fully intend to go back.  One day...

· Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
184 Posts
Imported post

I like your thinking! :cheering:

Gav and I just got back from the red sea :sunshine: last week (where we also met up with Marco - good to see you Marco!).  We had a really good time and decided we would like to go back at some point.  

A liveaboard is a good idea, but they also do three day safaris (which might be more suitable if there are non-divers amongst the group???).

I was wondering about Easter time - or would that be too expensive? (just trying to conserve my annual leave by using up a couple of bank holidays)

Roll on :sunshine: and :snorkel:

· Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Another alternative (one which I am sure that you know I am not biased about) would be Malta in Feb/Mar.

Water temp would be about 18-19 deg, viz good and many places to get wet in and out of the med.

I have done some preparation for me and mi mates and I reakon we can do it for about 400 quid all in.

The place I use is Meldives, off Tunny Net on the north side of the island. Mel Galea is the longest established diving school in Malta (about 36 years, PADI 5 star Instructor centre) and he has access to boats, ribs, whatever within his complex. Before you get thinking - rip off - don't. I got a great deal from him earlier in  the year - six boat dives - while I went back to visit relatives and believe me better than St. Abbs!

Directly opposite is a hotel that can cater for us on a B&B, Half or Fully inclusive basis.

If anyone is interested in this I will put some dates in diaries but am reluctant until some interest is shown.

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

I must say that I like the idea of Malta.  It seems to offer good diving and also places of interest for my non-diving wife and wee bairns.

Best for me would be around Easter which, as Fi says, allows us all to minimise the amount of annual leave - also a school holiday then I think.  Problem is the clash with that techy course for some of the others.

Still, I'm open to other suggestions, especially if the family can come along.

Tim

· Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Imported post

Hey All,

about this idea of a gig away next year, seems to have died away.

I reckon a long weekend in Ireland would be the muts nuts.  It's supposed to be excellent diving and we could all get over there for not a lot of money and find somewhere relatively cheapish to stay.

Bonus is all that excellent Guinness.

What say you all?

· Registered
541 Posts
Imported post

Awww Geez People...
                  Live dangerous..Pack up the old Kit Bag..
Jump a plane to NZ, Were coming into Summer...
Come dive over here..( Just a Jelous Kiwi, cause he cant join the fun )Ill even let ya sleep in one of the stables..
  " For Free "       lol
Lucky sods   ...Live aboard dives...  Mutter mutter Grumble

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

It seems stupid not to jump on a plane somewhere warm this winter. Think what a laugh it would be and think of the massive, massive discount we could get. We could go somewhere really, really, really special for the price of a last minute sharm holiday. Lets get it sorted!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.