YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Lets see if the dive show really gets a good deal.

me and DaveJ got a DiveRite RecWing for £130 (best I`ve seen elsewhere was 155 at Divers Warehouse)

We got these from Kent Diving. Sadly Divers Warehouse really pissed us off by only offering their web price  (£155) plus free delivery - I thought this outfit were supposed to be competitively priced. Hay ho - their loss.

Anyone else get a good deal (or were disappointed)?
?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirky @ Nov. 16 2003,15:51)]Lets see if the dive show really gets a good deal.

me and DaveJ got a DiveRite RecWing for £130 (best I`ve seen elsewhere was 155 at Divers Warehouse)

We got these from Kent Diving. Sadly Divers Warehouse really pissed us off by only offering their web price  (£155) plus free delivery - I thought this outfit were supposed to be competitively priced. Hay ho - their loss.

Anyone else get a good deal (or were disappointed)?
?
Hi Kirky

Yep, I thought DW were nothing special at the show. If a stand was showing prices high up on their stand, it was a fair bet they would not change.

Ended up getting 3 sets of Mk2, R190 Reg + Oct, twin console for £600. Not bad for club kit, about 100 off rrp per set. When 100 means a lot for one of us, it means even more for a club.

Didn't get much for myself, 1st show ive been to for about 3 years, 1st at Brum. Not bad for space, did not keep treading on toes like last one at Olympia.

God I wand a YBOD, or maybe a Prism. Oi, Father Christmassssssssssss

Adrian

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree with the Divers Warehouse comments,nothing special this year. I eventually gave in and bought at new 15l cylinder from Go Dive£119.  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I didn't go to the DW stand. I think it was a combination of it being the last stand I went to and it being next to the bar, mmm  Booze!

Anyway I got a nice new Tusa Liberator, 25 notes, saving ??. Pretty good when you compare my old one is a Sherwood (made be Tusa
 ) and cost 30 quid over ten years ago.

I also bought a Pony for 140 quid from Stoney and the cheepest I saw on the net before the show was 190, although I need to ask how good Dacor Eagles are as thats the reg it came with.

A Metalsub Pony clamp for 50 quid (from ND) and my better half bought a weigh belt from Bowstone. Dunno the price.

We also bought a 15L Faber from Denny Divers but thats cheating as it was bought en route home, at their shop in Redcar. I think Chris knocked nine pounds off the list price.

Not bad trip all in all. Just need to get in to the water now!!

Dave C

·
Banned
71 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I got an sk7 for 20 squids and an oms iq harness for 160 complete so didn't do too bad. Oh and a 15ltr for 109 at Kent.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I got the buddy SMB with 0.1L bottle for free (well, £67 but my dad paid as a late birthday pressie!) from the stand next to buddy (Kent?)  The best price i'd seen on the web had been £75 (pre P&P), so £8 off wasn't bad.  I found it odd that if you asked the price at the AP Valves stall, they gave you the full retail, and didn't sell anything, yet when I bought the SMB, the stall had run out so just popped over to APV to collect some, and then charge we £20 less than the retail - how much mark-up!  Also bought an o'three pee valve and paid the full £65 - they were not interested in reducing the price for the show (I was a bit disappointed that they didn't knock anything off for the show, but almost expected to pay the full RRP, so it wasn't too painful).  Am really cross now because I couldn't think of anything else I needed, until seeing medusa's reply - how I really wanted an SK7 compass  

Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Well, I got meself a Kent Tooling reel. Mmm.. 316 S/S. They looked even more robust than I was expecting, and I promptly handed over £60 for a 100m reel that may well outlast me. I then had a look at their SMBs, and ended up buying a CO2 inflating backup SMB for emergencies. £26 including 3 of them little cartridges. Anyone got a good source for some more?

Other than that, my biggest spending was the booze on friday night and lunch at the show. Prices were just silly for food. Mental note to bring a picnic next year.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Digs,
        If they are the same thing's I'm thinking of then places like Boots might sell them in the bigger stores. They're also used for soda syphons. Try in the home-brewing section.

Peter

·
ex diving instructor
524 Posts
Imported post

For replacement cartridges, make sure you get one with the same amount of gas, as some are very different and as these bags usually dont have a dump on them, its not good having one with too much gas in it. Or too little for that matter, all chandlers stock them, as they are a life jacket inflator bottle, also good fishing shops (same reason).

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

ended up buying a CO2 inflating backup SMB for emergencies. £26 including 3 of them little cartridges. Anyone got a good source for some more?

Try Narked at 60 that's where I get mine. They do the 16 and the 32 gram bottles.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

I got a 7l cylinder for £90 (but had to carry the bugger back on the train), and have been invited to work on the Dive Girl stand for the next show......hehe.

Digger - you will get the cartridges from any gun shop.  Oh yeah, and you drink like a fish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Nov. 18 2003,12:51)]Well, I got meself a Kent Tooling reel. Mmm.. 316 S/S. They looked even more robust than I was expecting, and I promptly handed over £60 for a 100m reel that may well outlast me. I then had a look at their SMBs, and ended up buying a CO2 inflating backup SMB for emergencies. £26 including 3 of them little cartridges. Anyone got a good source for some more?

Other than that, my biggest spending was the booze on friday night and lunch at the show. Prices were just silly for food. Mental note to bring a picnic next year.
You could also try a gun shop as these cartridges are used in CO2 powered air weapons.
They do however sometimes contain a very small amount of lubricant designed to keep the valves inside the gun lubricated but this could be an advantage. You can also buy them online here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts