YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an old foot injury, a stress fracture, that I got during my military service a few years back. The standard rubber boots on dry suits are not good enough to keep the injury from tearing and causing a lot of pain. I'm looking at getting a pair of boots with a hard-sole and "proper" support.

The ideal solution would be if I could find a pair of hiking boots that would work for diving without rotting etc. Anyone able to make any recommendations?

I've looked at the range of rock boots offered by different manufacturers and the ones I've found to be interesting are the Northern Diver Rock Swim Boot series. Does anyone have any experience with these boots? The information I've found is very sparse.

Anyone know of any anatomic insole that would withstand the water exposure from repeated diving?

All and any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
190 Posts
This might not be the "right" solution for you, but it could work. Get seals fitted to the ankles on your drysuit and dive a pair of Fourth Element boots. Amphibian Rugged Diving Boots : Fourth Element They've the first dive boot that's been designed specifically to include ergonomic footbed insoles. These provide a stable footbed and the hardwearing moulded outsole makes trogging over rocks etc less of an "ooh aarh" experience.

HTH.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
As for the price of rock boots V/S a pair of old comando boots I feel that the latter will give you all of the support you need. Ath the end of the day soak them in a bucket of fresh water over night then dry them out and coat with dubbin. You should be fully aware of the strenghts of military footware and the sh!t they go through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the looks of those Fourth Element Amphibian Boots, I'm going to have a look around and see if I can find any local dealers that are able to order them for testing.

I'm not sure about the commando boots used by the military forces in the UK, myself being from Sweden, but the ones we had were complete garbage. Although cheap to replace, which also speaks for their ergonomic qualities. After my foot injury I got a pair of Meindl Performance boots, which are great, but neither cheap nor able to withstand extended water exposure.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've got an old stress fracture in my foot as well. If I'm going to be on my feet then I stick a pair of Orthoheels in my socks (drysuit boots dont usually fit well enough to keep them in place). They dont give as much support as a proper orthotic but it gets a bit of stress off. They're cheap as well, about 20 quid

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
The O'Three OTB boots may be worth a look at aswell. I've got a pair and they've stood upto 50-60 UK dives now without even starting to look worn.
same ones as i use, they lace up to the same height up your ankle as hiking boots. Only thing is they need really big fin pockets.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
One thing possibly to consider is moulded footbeds that skiiers use inside the drysuit boot. Could relieve some of the pressure. They will be available all over the place in Sweden, and around the UK at loads of retailers. Get somebody who knows what they are doing with them, and you will need to be there for fitting.

Otherwise I'd suggest using some of the canvas combat boots if you really need support right up the ankle, they will do fine in and out of water and dry out relatively easily.

Also if you contacted a decent drysuit manufacturer they will work with you to fix the problem - most companies that make suits are interested in having happy customers, and whilst they will charge a bit more for the additional work, it should be worth it.

Digs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts