YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

If you're thinking about buying a good digicam and can't decide just what then these reviews / articles may help you decide to buy one of the best value cameras around - it really is an incredibly versatile thing!

The first one is a great review of the camera and housings from Underwater Photography Magazine - this is a free jobbie which you can download off t'internet.  I was going to copy and paste but this would be doing the mag a disservice.

Underwater Photography Magazine .

The issue number you want is No 14.

The next links cover the use of U/W filters to restore the colour balance instead of using strobes - a real cost saver when appropriate.  

1st go back to UWP mag issue 14 which also has an excellent piece covering the use of filters by Alex Mustard.

Link 2 is from the Ocean Optics website and covers the benefits of using a filter.

Link 3 is a link from Wetpixel.com which covers more of the theory of using filters and available light photography.

Both the above articles can also be found in UWP mag somewhere.

The next Link is to a thread on digitaldiver.net.  The links at the top will take you to a review of a range of quality strobes. Good thing is, the author tested them on a C5050 with a PT015 housing (the most common set-up with this camera).  I'm currently lusting after one of the Inons!

BTW digitaldiver.net is a great resource for digcam-owning divers - esp if you own an Olympus.

So after all that reading you'll be convinced of the versatility of the C5050 set-up.  Then go to ebay and get em cheap!

Tim

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

the strobe `head to head` study threw up a few suprises didnt it. I like the Inins too but cant justify getting one after getting the DS125.

Digitaldiver.net is a great site for UW photogaphers with ,oads of really useful info

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

I must agree that the 5050 is a smart piece of kit but for UK diving I would recommend getting the Ikelite housing instead of the pt-015, it cost quite a bit more but is a lot sturdier and easier to use with gloves on.

Allan

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I just finished absorbing the strobes article.

Kirky you must be a bit miffed after reading the DS125 and Inon 220 comparison?  I must say that I'd like one of the 180's but can't justify it yet - maybe once I come back from the Red Sea.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts