YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well blow me down - my birthday is on Thursday and I am away on Business so Mrs Kirky presented me with a pressy tonite................................................

..........a Canon EOS300D !!!!!!!

What a beauty it is - but I have to say not as beautiful as my generous, sexy, gorgeous, wife !!!. God I feel so pampered.

Now - where are the housings for this.....................??

Off to play now and I might be some time. Jeez - gotta payback them points so its the trafford centre on Saturday but I simply dont care (shes even letting me go diving while she goes shopping !!!!)

I really am a jammy bastard !!!

so - as soon as I get the housing I will have a Olympus C4040Z + PT010 housing + memory cards etc etc for sale

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

You lucky Git!

Looks like the Ike housings are just starting to ship as well.  Although Cameras Underwater told me that the Aquatica housings may actually be cheaper.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Feeling a little jealous, Tim? Mrs Timing and Mrs Kirky - compare and contrast!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

So, a Branners Canon EOS300D, then eh? And you're away on business, yer say.......and what was you're address again, Kirky?  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 27 2004,22:44)].......and what was you're address again, Kirky?  
<font color='#000080'>Obviously getting excited at the prospect to have committed such a terrible error!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

So, Kirky, can we see some pics - even if they are topside.

Isn't it great using it, the focus speed, the responsiveness of the shutter, the zoom - mmmmm makes me want to and buy it all over again (then I think of the reaction of Mrs Timing
)

What're your plans for housings etc?

An eager public wants to know these things.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hey Bren - these your socks I found under my bed
?
???

Timing - stayed up the other nite playing with it (ooo--eeerrrrr) - yes its a beauty. As soon as I have the software installed I`ll post something. The pics on the LCD look superb, got a feeling there might be a 1gig microdrive being ordered soon as the large jpegs look great.

As far as housings are concerned, I dont know yet. Ikelite is bloody pricey and I havnt seen the Aquatica yet (got a lnk ??)

Also I now have to learn about ports etc (again I assume pricey). Hoping to keep using the DS125 strobe if there is enough room in the housing to allow the flip up flash to open just enough to trigger the slave controller. Otherwise I will need to start again.

Shutter speed and lack of lag is great but still need to get it to autofocus which could cause a minor delay.

Timing - any good links to housing sites (incl ports etc???)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Housing Info:

Aquatica

This from James Wiseman at Wetpixel

The Aquatica may have TTL control over yer strobe!

I discussed all of these with Cameras Underwater and they mentioned that the Ike would be around 1.2k with the Aquatica at 1k-ish.  Apprarently Aquatica have modified the moulds for an existing housing and so this will make it a whole lot cheaper.  With the Aquatica being Alu it would need to have direct strobe control as it isn't transparent and so couldn't use the internal flash to fire a slave strobe.

I'll post more If I find it.

[EDIT]  Worth keeping an eye on Subal

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks - the housing (minus the port) is £899 at cameras underwater, port around £200. If I find any more out I`ll let you know

PS - I cant seem to get onto Digitaldiver - is it just me

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

No probs with DD.  Maybe they've put up a filter preventing access to "jammy buggers".

Thats a good price for the housing.  More what I would have expected in fact.  Would get it from them or from the US?

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Ikelite RRP is $1200 for the housing only. Add a couple of hundred for a port @ $1.7/£ is about £825 (excl P&P). Am trying to identify a source in Mexico as I am there in a couple of weeks and it may be cheaper - ecspecially if I can avoid import duty etc.

I am on to Ikelite for a source and if they can FEDEX it to the source in Mexico and the price is right then I may bend the credit card.

Failing that, the price from camerasunderwater @ £899 + about £130 for the port (exc P+P) actually isnt that bad - particularly if there is a problem with the kit.

I`ll let you know if there are any other options.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kirky @ Jan. 29 2004,18:37)]Hey Bren - these your socks I found under my bed
?
???
Aye, and I want them back.......washed!  

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Latest edition of uwpmag:

Ikelite EOS-300D details
Fantasea CP-3 Nikon Coolpix 3100 Housing details
Olympus PT-020 mini review
Subal/Canon C10 details
INON Canon X-2 details
Subal Canon EOS 300D details
Nikon WP-CP1 COOLPIX 2200 and COOLPIX 3200 details
Gates High definition HD-1 video housing details
Light & Motion Mako video housing details
Seacam Fuji S2 full review
Doug Perrine - profile
Taiji Dolphins - Sea Shepherd campaign
Komodo - Location report
Minahasa Lagoon - Location report
Best Behaviour - Photographing marine behaviour
Digital V Film - Direct comparisons
Artificial light - Back to basics
3 pages of Classified adverts

Should be interesting for you Kirky.

Tim

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Yes - got my copy emailed. This is a brilliant mag. Tried to get some more info about getting the housing in the USA via NLAVD ex digitaldiver but nowt back yet. Im also gonna check the Subal version as well.

By the way - I still cant get into DD on my machine - strange - its OK from work.

I really think I might do something silly with my credit card in the next month or so - Im gagging to get the canon into the housing.. Getting used to the camera - dead easy really so next its link it to PC and start downloading pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts