Imported post

OMS OMS OMS Did I mention OMS. If you like bondage wings (which I do
) you can't beat them, just make sure you get an OMS backplate to go with it

Allan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

i use 100lb lift OMS wing - its the bollocks! know loads of people who are diving them & havent heard any horror stories - yet!
build quality seems good,& the harness, once set right feels real comfy. wouldnt change mine

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

Hi Wacker

I said to get the OMS BP:

1. Because it is beautifully made.
2. It fits perfectly with the wing and some other BP's are larger and pinch the retraction bands.

Allan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Hi wacker, I use a combro BP and a 100lb OMS wing.
The holes match up no problem and the combination works very well indeed.
I thought long and hard before I bought the wing but decided that for me, the bungies were a non issue. I've used it for all different types of diving and never had a snag.
I guess I wont be going on any GUE courses tho...
Stu.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi Stu
Thanks for the info
the reason for the question is because i have a diverite superone on back order with divers warehouse and this has been since the begining of last month !!!
they did offer to send oms instead but i was not shure .
Oh can you use the oms with a single tank and cam band, and dose the coragated hose have a pull dump?
wack

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Is there any particular reason why you have not considered Halcyon ?

Is there any particular reason you want 100 lbs of lift ?

WL

PS Given the choice between OMS and DiveRite I would choose the DiveRite Classic.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

HI,

I've got Dirverite Super Wings, two bladders, the intention is to dive in warm water so it's there for backup. I took a long look at OMS, Diverite, Custom Divers and Halcyon.

I went for the Diverite because the bungy cord is hidden away a bit, OMS and Custom Divers have it exposed and so can get caught and snap easily (they snap before you get stuck). I discounted Halcyon as there was only one place in the UK to get them serviced, this I decided was a pain.

It is almost impossible to choose between the makes listed above, it comes down to personel choices on a number of very small issues. You need to dive them and decide which you prefer, I dived them all and the final choice was made on the smallest of issues. You will find all the DIR boys tell you to get Halcyon, it's the DIR way.

Andrew

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AndyP @ May 26 2003,20:13)]You will find all the DIR boys tell you to get Halcyon, it's the DIR way.
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Thats not quite true AndyP, any wing without bungies and the correct lift and a slow inflator with the hose the correct length and a single pull dump on the bottom same side of the inflator would be fine. The DiveRite classic is such a wing I believe and OMS do a non bungied version as well which would fit. A backplate and a harness made from a single piece of webbing Hogarthian like (just in case whacker is thinking of the Softpac thingies) is the perfect setup.

Kindest regards

WL

PS There are a number of places to get Halcyon stuff serviced, Underwater Explorers, Aquarius Diving, Capernwray, and Andy Hayhurst of DalesDivers is a dealer too.

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Mate, tis true, Halcyon, when I was looking was not even available from Izzy, others have picked it up now. Yes OMS do an un-bungied version, SteveW has one, that is as long as you don't mind looking like Batman on the surface (sorry Steve just couldn't resist it). Diverite, I beleve the Wreck wing is the same. As for the rest, not worth the argument.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi WL
Reason for the 2 brands i have already paid for the diverite superone wings but not in stock.
Reason for 100 lb lift :
I have twin 12L 300 bar fabbers and after calculations on the negative bouyancy on my kit (-45 lbs) the rec wing i was intending to use only gave +50 lbs this left +5lbs bouyancy without any stage bottles alowance !
not much bouyancy in a rough sea at the surface waiting for the rib !!!
cheers wack

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

My OMS hasn't got a corrugated hose dump, but my Diverite has.  I've used both with a single cylinder. I think the new OMS is made of a heavier denier than the Diverite but apart from that there is hardly any difference, apart from poncy red.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Andy, was Steve's really unbungied....maybe I should ask Steve, not you!

I thought it was bungied, but maybe you don't look at the details on something that resembles a London bus!  It was fab....

Lou

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

To be honest, I didn't really look that closely, but if it was bungied, they were VERY, VERY loose.

Andrew

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Whacker

When calculating your kits negative buoyancy do you include your own positive buoyancy complete with undersuit drysuit etc. ?

That would make a difference I think with your calculation. Somewhere in the region of 15-20 lbs I think.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Had a Diverite TREK wing for 2 years - 40lb lift and its great for my twin 12`s (232bar). Even with a Combro I still need 8kg of lead in fresh water. Even if its close I still have the drysuit as redundancy.

I read somewhere that less is more................

PS - its also bugeed - never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Errrr....Yes it is bungied, don't know how tight or loose they are "supposed" to be, I think maybe you have a mental image of it inflated as I kept inflating it when it was on board the boat, when it's deflated it looks (to me) as  compact as most other wings but I'd be curious to see someone elses rig for comparison
Chee-az
Steve

·
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

It is the only impression I have. I have to be honest, believe it or not I am not a kit junky, well, only my own, so I don't really take a lot of notice. I sort of glanced at the fact that your twins were inverted, and then in my own inimitable style took the **** with the batman bit, not meant to be rude I just have a bit of an odd sense of humour. I guess it must be the same as every other one as I probably would have noticed if it had been flapping around when deflated.

Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts