YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi peeps
Can I get all your thoughts on the following please as I have a chance to buy it... Now be aware that some of this stuff might not be YOUR first choice and not mine either, but as it all comes from one guy who's giving it up due to health problems it comes as a package, so be a little flexible.. I'm hoping not to be attacked by DIR afficiados

1. OMS dual bladder wing with IQ pack and ali plate
2. Twin 10ltr Fabers, S.S. banded, manifolded and OMS valve guard (great for when I invert)
3. Mares MR22 Abyss Titanium reg
4. Posiedon Jetstream reg (I think its a Jetstream)
5. ScubaPro Canister torch, + charger, clamp (very sexy!)
6. US Divers triple console
7. ScubaPro SPG
8. Aladin Pro computer (87% battery)
9. Typhoon Ranger Membrane Drysuit (Self donning zip)
10. ScubaPro dive bag with 2 x Reg bags, DSMB/Reel Knife, Hood, Fins, Ankle weights and the usual array of diving stuff.

Everything is in mint condition and hasn't been used in a year as this guy wasn't sure what to do....

I'm only interested in items 1 - 6 and I'm hoping to sell the rest, plus my own rig, and then only have to stump up the difference.... I can buy it all for a grand.... about £999 more than I can afford yes, but I've gotten a chubby for it and I'm throwing this out to you guys for advice on whether I should go for it or not.

I'm quite often an impulse buyer and need to control myself at times but this all seems like top notch very expensive stuff that I can get my hands on now, and even tho given the money to spend on kit, this stuff would probably not be on my list I feel that its a good rig and a good opportunity

Thoughts and advice please from my esteemed YD buddies (sic)

Oh... BTW I think I've convinced him to let me bring it to Abbs for a dusting down and right good testing :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Ok Dave - I can only comment on the OMS stuff cos thats what I have experience of.

To be honest, I'd give the OMS wing etc a miss because:

1. Double bladder is VAST overkill unless you fancy doing a John Bantin type dive to 300m with several stage bottles etc. It is bulky and supplies unnecessary lift for most types of rec diving (even including standard deco)

2. Would rather you had a steel backplate if diving in a dry suit - more durable and means you can take weight off your belt / harness

3. The IQ harness is, again, unnecessarily complicated (its a half way house between a BCD and a wing harness)

I nearly did the same as you and went for a good deal on basically the same system. Glad now I didn't. I LOVE my OMS kit - well made etc but I use the single 45lb bladder, basic harness and steel backplate and I am glad now I listened to advice and waited until I got what I really needed.

Don't mean to piss on your bonfire, but thats my thoughts on the OMS bit of your question.

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,
There is a new site just about to be launched with all the tecy stuff you require. Check out www.narkedat60.com or you can get to it through www.duckanddive.net. I have a NAS wing which so far I am well pleased with. Also there are some good bargins to be had on the D&D clasifieds.

Ali """:)))

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Dave, check out the following link about the Mares titanium/Abyss  

http://www.divernet.com/blandfrd/mares/abyss.htm

I have the V16 1st stage and the Abyss reg with axis Octopus and I have found it a very well made and sweet piece of kit, you will find it performing and giving you the same flow constantly with very little breathing resistance whether youre at 6 metres or 50 or inverted. They are very well made and reliable but expensive to buy new , if I was diving single cylinder set up then Thats the piece of kit I use , the MR22 is the model above mine so I guess you will find that it is better in the way of performance and  positioning of the HP/LP hose outlets

The downfalls of Mares products are that they cost you that little bit more for the servicing and parts but then again so it would if you had a decent car and had to get that serviced.

Has the one you looking to buy had a cold water kit fitted to it ?? they again cost around 40 squid
I have not had the chance to play around with mine and have a look at the internals because I normally get it serviced at a Mares Dealer (except for the bodged din conversion that got done to it which I mentioned in a previous post)
the 2nd stage requires a screwdriver if you want to strip it down so youre self reliability of fixing it under water is not good but then again I have just over 200 dives on mine , most of them were shallow shore dives in the med with lots of sand and debris kicking around whilst taking try-dives and I never had a problem of things getting into it.
Its good that you may be able to get it for St abbs , Id say to give it a try definately - BTW how much is the guy asking for it on its own ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts