YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys (& Gals) my first post on here and its a Friday so lets see how it goes..
So I have spent ALOT of time configuring my new BP/W and its at the point where I'm quite happy, But one issue I cannot decide is weather it is safer to carry my weight on a standard weight belt (underneath my harness) (on-board) or in pockets on my waist band (off-board)?

Some Key Factors to Consider: Im diving a 5/4mm full, steel BP, Ali 80, Warm Water, And the biggie is Im also teaching OW ect using a single setup (30lb). Im looking at the DR clipper pockets as these will be easy to access to 'hand off weight'

Im 5.11, more muscle than fat so im neutral in my suit, jets and just under 2kg excluding my BP/W at 1 ATA.
Any Tekies out there who teach rec? any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't need much weight,if any, so I use a v-weight which is in between by tanks (doubles). I believe, quite a few people use weight belts underneath their harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Hi Guys (& Gals) my first post on here and its a Friday so lets see how it goes..
So I have spent ALOT of time configuring my new BP/W and its at the point where I'm quite happy, But one issue I cannot decide is weather it is safer to carry my weight on a standard weight belt (underneath my harness) (on-board) or in pockets on my waist band (off-board)?

Some Key Factors to Consider: Im diving a 5/4mm full, steel BP, Ali 80, Warm Water, And the biggie is Im also teaching OW ect using a single setup (30lb). Im looking at the DR clipper pockets as these will be easy to access to 'hand off weight'

Im 5.11, more muscle than fat so im neutral in my suit, jets and just under 2kg excluding my BP/W at 1 ATA.
Any Tekies out there who teach rec? any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!!
I think the question here is can you see any possible situation where, if you are correctly weighted (as you should be) you would want or need to hand off weight? For what purpose?

Having experienced a couple of mix-dives where I was under-weighted (for various reasons, including not allowing for more insulation) there is little else more frightening that fighting to stay down, knowing that if you can't, it's going to hurt.

For teaching, I again can't think of a reason for wanting to hand off weight. Surely if anything you want to know that you have enough ballast to assist a diver that gets a bit floaty? Again, I can't see why you would want to be thinking about handing off weight....

For me, it is V-Weights, Tail Weights and if necessary a weight belt under the harness, but then I have a balanced rig which is something else you may want to think about.

G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the comments so far..

The reason I say 'hand off weight' is with new OW/Advanced students i would in the past take an extra 2/4kg on my weight belt so if any students became floaty during safety stop (30 bar tanks or bit excited) then i would simple clip a extra weight to them. Makes them more comfortable and allows them to correct their weight instead of me yanking them down.

Its not ideal removing weight from belt while watching 5+ people. Do you ever clip weight onto your Back plate?

·
Registered
603 Posts

The reason I say 'hand off weight' is with new OW/Advanced students i would in the past take an extra 2/4kg on my weight belt so if any students became floaty during safety stop (30 bar tanks or bit excited) then i would simple clip a extra weight to them. Makes them more comfortable and allows them to correct their weight instead of me yanking them down.

Its not ideal removing weight from belt while watching 5+ people. Do you ever clip weight onto your Back plate?
Are you teaching PADI ow? In which case you need to demo weight belt removal for the confined which would be a pita if its underneath your harness.
Ifi there's a need to hand weight off then I'd make sure it was easily to hand so clipping it on somewhere's probably a good option but if you do a decent weight check this will mimimise the need. Something to consider is that if you're teaching you should be demonstrating the benefits of a quick release weightbelt. How you dive in your own time is your call but when teaching its a little different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cheers ZeroVis couple of good points there, I guess there will always be a lesson or two where I will have to wear a weight belt and no crotch strap or belt over the top, unfortunately.

The weight just has to be quick release (PADI/SSI OW) so I was wondering if there were any novel pocket options per sides those over engineered quick dump pockets. Hence Dive Rite Clipper Pockets?

·
Registered
137 Posts

Should not students be weighted correctly beforehand.

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
I'm just wondering, if you are and I believe you are, teaching novices, why you would be wearing a crotch strap (and harness/wing?). Shouldn't you be wearing pretty well what your class is wearing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts