YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just started readin about this on the BBC web-site and felt oddly distant about it all.  First thought was 'certain ecological disaster for some but nice new wreck for those wreckie divers'.

But, imagine if this had happened nearer to home, say off the Borders spilling its sh1t out over the waters there, foulling the coast along the stretch and destroying 'X'.  Then it hit me what a disaster this would be.

A growing environmentalist attitude is, for me, an unexpected side-effect of developing as a diver.  I even surprised myself recently by firing off an e-mail within my own company (a very big consumer goods company) about its fishing practices esp. wrt cod (for fish fingers etc.).

Coming back to the Prestige, this is an issue that should concern us all and especially us as divers.  

Actually, it really annoys me that this kind of shit happens when it could easily be avoided but for the actions and procedures of multi-nationals that want to save a buck here or there and with no other concern than bleeding their customers and keeping their own stock prices high - sod everybody else that might be affected when the stuff hits the fan.  

I started this as a bit of a joke but seems to have beome a bit of a rant. I'll stop there I think.

What am I saying here?  I don't really know.  

Any comments?

(Edited by Timing at 2:35 pm on Nov. 19, 2002)

(Edited by Timing at 2:36 pm on Nov. 19, 2002)

·
Registered
18,471 Posts
Imported post

I think you are saying that "your backyard" is now bigger since becoming a diver.  What happens to the sea now affects you and now you care, whereas perhaps you didn't before.

I think this is perfectly natural.  Most people only care about the ring road, power station, incineratro, landfill site etc when it is on their doorstep.  There are too many things in life to worry about for most floks without worrying about things that don't, at first glance, affect you directly.

We now see the problems in the sea, we see the pollution, the damage by trawlers, the mess left by fishing nets or line......and hence we care and get angry.  If we take action on that anger, even better, so a big pat on your back for your internal e-mail!!

One of the good things to happen on Divernet was the barrage of e-mails that Asda got over selling sharkmeat, and how *we* educated their consumer affairs women.

So pats on the back all round...get stroppy today!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Imported post

Just a minor point, but I don't think it's the big multinationals that are at fault this time. I believe they said on the radio here that the captain is Greek and the vessel is registered in the Bahamas and owned by a Latvian company. It seems to be just another case of a rusty old hulk, owned by an unscrupulous company, that ought to have been scrapped ages ago. Unfortunately, there are plenty more. It's scandalous that they're allowed to operate, in my opinion. By the way, it could have sunk in the Baltic, which would have been a hundred times worse.

(Edited by John Gulliver at 6:18 pm on Nov. 19, 2002)

·
1,770 Posts
Imported post

Next time I see you Tim I'll give you a copy of No Logo by Naomi Klein - you're right multinationals - in fact any plc has only one goal (laid down by law) and that's to provide shareholder value and f*ck the consequences.

That's why the export processing zones from Manilla to Beijing to Jakarta to Bangladesh are "peopled" by children working for the equivilent of 60 cents a day. That's 40 cents less than even the conservative NGO's say they need.

Companies involved in these practises include Disney and our very own Marks and Sparks (even tho' they say that all efforts are maintained to ensure that this doesn't happen.)

So everybody, this xmas, and you see the Winnie the Pooh T-Shirt think of the eight-year-old that made it before you buy.

Back to the main point about the tanker - the future looks very bleak. I hope against experience that some kind of weather change might assist.

Sorry for the tirade but it's good to rant !!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Imported post

"So everybody, this Xmas, and you see the Winnie the Pooh T-Shirt, think of the eight-year-old that made it before you buy."
On the other hand, if you don't buy, his/her 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7-year-old brothers and sisters might not get anything to eat. It's a terrible dilemma.

·
1,770 Posts
Imported post

It's one way to look at it John ... personally I make the choice not to buy but I understand your comment.

We can assist by buying fair trade goods - there's a lot more than just coffee and bananas, and persuading our government to scrap debt without getting third-world nations to buy our hawk jets and othe military surplus might be a start.

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Hey Tim,

No need to apologise mate - tend to agree with everything you've said. Also can't fault Gavster or Gully on their precepts.

The world of commerce has sold its soul (by its very nature, alas) on the alter of the mighty green-back, and it'll only get worse.

Regardless of which country was shipping what to where, the 1st thing that needs to happen is this insidious practise of ships with 'flags of convenience' (a la Panama, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Colombia et al) being allowed to put to sea in the first place. The Major Government tried (and signally failed) to redress the issue. There is a strong argument to have all ships of the line given a very thorough 'going-over' (technical maritime term) and if they can't pass the medical, either put down as artificial reefs and the companies responsible fined a good deal, or a one way trip to the breaker's yard.

Unlikely to happen any time soon, however, whilst we have the juvenile Bush in the chair. The abuse he'd take from his business buddies about the 'hike in cost of transport or both raw materials and finished goods' would see to that. Would that they were made to use reputable shipping lines with ships that are squared away & ship-shape in every sense would immediately put the kibosh on any hopes of it ever becoming reality.

Dive safe all - in clean waters!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Imported post

Just a curiosity question really,
I am a mechanic by trade and over here we have very stingent road worthy certificates to allow vehicles on the road.
And very harsh penalties if your caught driving one without a current W.O.F ( warrant of fitness)..
is there no such things for boats?.
or if there are, is the company who owns these vessels that certify them?
or is there a naval standard run by a particullar buearocratic service that tests them?
The reson I ask is if issue a wof I am liable for that car, If it has an accident due to mechanical failure and I have issued a wof and it is a blatant failure, you can guess whos ass ends up in court..
Maybe they should have the same liability as we have,
and you can bet the standard of boats will be deff higher
steve

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Hey Gunna,

Agree to a degree in principle, but you are talking about matters that fall within the gift/remit/dominion of the NZ gov't - the world's shipping lanes (alas and alack) are chocker with rusting old hulks that had seen the end of their servicable life in the 1940s!

And there currently exists no world authority with either the muscle, clout or balls to hold to account the bastards that allows these rusting sea-rollers to continue uder-way.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 11:59 pm on Nov. 19, 2002)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Imported post

You know all those images of volunteers cleaning the oil from the poor seabirds? Purely a PR exercise on behalf of the oil companies, by that point they've usually ingested sufficient oil to kill them anyway, very sad indeed.  

·
Registered
564 Posts
Imported post

gunna

Its a pity we can not have the same regs over here for vehicles, the mot test is a joke and not having a current mot will get you on a max penaty of a very slight tap on the wrist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.