YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a looksee at this. It's a 1.5 litre bladder sold by outdoors shops for hill walkers, long distance orienteers, runners etc. Dave and I thought it might be useful for rehydration on long dives. The clever thing about them is that they are self sealing until you bit the end which open a small hole in the hose you can drink through.

So. Here's the plan. Fill it with water, like so

Now you need a standard halcyon or other brand pack on your backplate. You can see that the bladder dissapears quite nicely into the pocket in the pack. the drink hose then runs along the backplate channel and out the top of the backplate.

Next attach a boltsnap to the end of the hose and trim the hose length accordingly

so that it comes over your right shoulder and reaches the shoulder d ring, where it can be safely clipped off out of the way, and easily accessible.

when you want a drink, you unclip the hose and take one!

simple. neat and tidy. and it works.

Anyway, just an idea if you were looking for something like this.

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day when i was out walking. If you try it out I'll be interested in how it works out.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just a small point.....

If you are doing a dive that's long enough to require *rehydration* then you will be in a cave.....

In that case, we simply drink the cave water...!

It's much less hassle..

Anyway, neat idea. I've seen these used in Florida, where the likelihood of needing rehydration is greater.

Bob

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
I've done the same with one in my unit, works well although mine has a tap on the end as well but doubt it would make much difference.

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Just a small point.....

If you are doing a dive that's long enough to require *rehydration* then you will be in a cave.....
In that case, we simply drink the cave water...!

It's much less hassle..

Anyway, neat idea. I've seen these used in Florida, where the likelihood of needing rehydration is greater.

Bob
Not necessarily Bob. I have some 6h+ dives planned for next year and there won't be a cave in sight.

It's nice to have a drink and give the mouth a wash out.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I have been known to have a drink of the gin clear lovely Wastwater stuff, but other than that I don't think I've bothered with much drinking underwater. I find if you need rehydration that bad you want to get yourself a system that delivers warm moist gas. Oh yes, you can't :)

Good hint. I was wondering what to do with the pouch on my Frog. I did see a DSS one which went between the bolts on a twinset, and would sit where a V weight goes. Might be an option.

How much are they BTW?

Digs.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I have looked at those a few times for that purpose, but get away with a bag of isotonic with a screw top.

I don't do long dives that require hydration, but get a dry mouth and throat really quickly when diving so need to get some liquid in to stop me from choking.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Oh, and if you've used cave line to attach that boltsnap to the mouthpiece I am going to spit in your mouth next time I see you.

Digs. :D

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Nice idea, i may well give it a try :)

So that would be £15 for the bag and hose and £75 for the pouch then? ;) :)

Edit: I am totally guessing the price of both, please note the :)

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
If I dived historic kit which didn't provide moist gas then I must say I'd be quite tempted by one of Tobin thingies.

Janos

PS - I used to use the bladder from an old wine box which I tucked in the bungees of the wing. Putting the water into the wine box is a bit hard. The only way I managed it was to spit it in. Yuck.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I think this would be more of use to me in case of getting lost at sea. 1.5ltr might just get you through the night, especially if it was nice hot tea ;)

Digs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So when you stand up with your twins and stage will the pressure force the end off as it's the filling in the sandwich by the look of things. I could be wrong:angel:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
u could use a camel back insert tucked down the back of my wing !! thats food for thought ! even on no deco dives as i get very dry when on a decent nitrox mix!!! what ya recon gareth ??? :teeth:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Put the water bladder inside the wing or am i holding the wrong end of the stick? He's made a neat job though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.