YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back my bc inflator (not the hose) needed replacing..see earlier thread.
Diveshop in S Croydon tells me they will order the part and I say I will collect it next week or the week after.
I leave it to the Friday to collect, and the numpty hasn't ordered it. Feck. I'm doing dive leader training the next day.
shop insists on taking my bc and apologises. offers a loan of a bc which I decline as I can use my spare.
Incident dive 1: Buddy check OK.
Inflator hose sticks at 6m. Up I go, though its only shallow and no real drama. Frees up when pressed again. Apply silicon spray on shore and it frees it up more.
Incident dive 3: All my clips are on my bc in the shop. Jump in holding reel, mask and DV, pony reg in pocket, Occy hanging loose. massive free flow round the back of my tank, I'm not sure which, buddy sorts it, start the dive with 150 bar. Down to do mask clear, CBL and OOA training in cold mucky stuff.
last lift of four I start up on 90 bar. After doing the lift my instructor comes over and stuffs his Occy in my face?!?
Odd what's going on... as I sort my bouyancy out I look at my gauge it reads 5 bar.
Well it would be rude to refuse I think... The next OOA ascent is for real, but again no drama. (I did still have my pony but that would not have inflated my bc if out of air.)
So where did I screw up?
Don't leave it until the day before the dive to check your kit. Particularly if relying on others.
Don't use spare kit that hasn't been used for a while without servicing it- even though its only a "shallow" dive.
Ensure you have the same kit configuration as always and don't cut corners. eg not replacing/adding clips when I should.
Recognise that heavy task loading can be distracting and lead to small things getting much worse.
Why didn't I notice the final freeflow? I don't know maybe I was distracted or maybe the 7mm hood made it difficult to hear.

Any other thoughts....
Stuart

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Good post showing how the circle gets tighter when things start going wrong.

Good on your buddy for giving you the reg before you had to take it.

I think you pointed out all the issues - what happened to incident 2? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, do you think you're ready for Dive Leader training?

I wouldn't want to be lead on a dive with somebody who's ready to dive with such crap kit.
Feel free to cast the first stone...

However apart from the replacement bc which in retrospect I should have not used because a)It was not in service and b) because I hadn't bought a clip for the occy. The other stuff was fine.
I guess I used it because it was familiar kit and I wanted to dive and didn't want to let other people down, which is again another thing to think about.
Therefore:Fair comment. I have learned from the experience.

The original Maveric bc (alas, in the diveshop)and Apex regs (used)were bought new in 2002 and have been serviced every year and they do not normally free flow. Sometimes even good kit, regularly serviced- fails/misbehaves. If you don't know this consider yourself lucky.

PS how often do you service your bc and drysuit?
Safe diving.
Stuart

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good post showing how the circle gets tighter when things start going wrong.

Good on your buddy for giving you the reg before you had to take it.

I think you pointed out all the issues - what happened to incident 2? :)
Nothing....I mean't dive three..OOps

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Feel free to cast the first stone...
You asked for our thoughts; frankly I struggled to restrain myself to my earlier comment.
However apart from the replacement bc which in retrospect I should have not used because a)It was not in service and b) because I hadn't bought a clip for the occy. The other stuff was fine.
In which case you ought to ask yourself how it all managed to go so horribly wrong. Hint - user error
Incident dive 3: All my clips are on my bc in the shop. Jump in holding reel, mask and DV, pony reg in pocket, Occy hanging loose. massive free flow round the back of my tank, I'm not sure which, buddy sorts it...
Contrary to your previous suggestion, the other stuff was far from fine. Good job you had a decent buddy who was quick to react, however that would be unlikely in the event that you were leading a novice diver on his/her first proper dive. BTW how quickly can you get that pony reg out of your pocket? You might want to rethink that strategy.
The original Maveric bc (alas, in the diveshop)and Apex regs (used)were bought new in 2002 and have been serviced every year and they do not normally free flow. Sometimes even good kit, regularly serviced- fails/misbehaves. If you don't know this consider yourself lucky.

PS how often do you service your bc and drysuit?
I know very well that kit can malfunction regardless of some arbitrary service schedule it may be subject to. I, however, take responsibility for my own kit and don't accept that just because it's been regularly serviced, it'll be 'alright on the night'.

I'll ask my earlier question again - do you really think you're ready for Dive Leader training?

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
It would be a shame if people stopped posting less than perfect experiences for fear of being shredded, I'd rather learn from other people's mistakes. :)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I'll ask my earlier question again - do you really think you're ready for Dive Leader training?
I think Stuart has responded. I am sure he thought about your questin the first time, I don't think it appropriate to rub it in. We all learn from our mistakes, and I am sure he will have. The very fact that he has posted the incident on here seems to indicate that he has probably learned from the error of his ways. Does one day of incidents really mean he shouldn't progress? I doubt it - it is more about what he learned.

Trouble is, we don't always know that kit is likely to fail until it happens.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Nick, Your posts are somewhat against the spirit of this sub-forum. I understand your comments but they needn't be put on this thread.

Stuart has highlighted what went wrong with his day and therefore I think that he has learned his lesson, as can others if they read this. As Jim has already said, it would be a shame to lose this medium for people to learn from other's mistakes if they were afraid to post because of comments like yours.

Therefore can I please ask you to remove the slating bits and leave the constructive criticism.

Regards

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Nick, Your posts are somewhat against the spirit of this sub-forum. I understand your comments but they needn't be put on this thread.

Stuart has highlighted what went wrong with his day and therefore I think that he has learned his lesson, as can others if they read this. As Jim has already said, it would be a shame to lose this medium for people to learn from other's mistakes if they were afraid to post because of comments like yours.

Therefore can I please ask you to remove the slating bits and leave the constructive criticism.

Regards
I am torn between two camps here.

Yes Nick was a little enthusiastic with his comments (I am sure he meant them constructively) and yes - the spirit of this sub-forum is to encourage people to speak up - however (in)experienced they are..

However I also believe that we should encourage discussion (and maybe a little constructive criticism) in this sub-forum. Otherwise we could get into the situation where people submit an incident, say they've learnt from it and expect no feedback - when actually they may have missed something important from their resolution: for instance a better way of checking their kit or a simple phone call or phoning the chamber sooner etc.

Learning is after all is a continual process.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Gareth

Aside from Stuart taking his backup BC and the lack of a clip for his octopus, he maintains that everything else was fine.

I am trying to point out that this was clearly not the case and for somebody embarking on a Dive Leadership qualification not to be able to recognise the numerous other failings that led to this posting is surprising.

This forum is entitled 'I learned about diving from that...'; his response to my first, albeit blunt, posting indicated to me that he hadn't learned much from this lash-up at all.

Feel free to remove whatever you like from my post, but I stand by it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gareth

This forum is entitled 'I learned about diving from that...'; his response to my first, albeit blunt, posting indicated to me that he hadn't learned much from this lash-up at all.

Feel free to remove whatever you like from my post, but I stand by it.
Hi Nick,
If you read my first reply I did also say "Fair comment"
I posted this to indicate how compromising your kit for whatever reason can lead to a string of avoidable consequences. I am not particularly happy with my performance as you might imagine, however the point of posting it is not to get a judgement of my dive leader skills but for others to learn from my mistakes, as I have done reading other peoples stuff ups in the past.
However in the spirit of the thread feel free to point out any failings you feel I have not recognised. I have no desire to get into an argument.
However for the sake of future posters it might be an idea to tone things down a little, otherwise there aren't likely to be many other posters keen on airing their dirty washing in public as I have done.
Yours; as reasonably as possible
Stuart
PS I normally dive with a necklaced DV and pony reg clipped on my upper bc. Sticking it in my pocket was a compromise, however it was a large pocket and easily accessible as I found on reaching the surface.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I am torn between two camps here.

Yes Nick was a little enthusiastic with his comments (I am sure he meant them constructively) and yes - the spirit of this sub-forum is to encourage people to speak up - however (in)experienced they are..

However I also believe that we should encourage discussion (and maybe a little constructive criticism) in this sub-forum. Otherwise we could get into the situation where people submit an incident, say they've learnt from it and expect no feedback - when actually they may have missed something important from their resolution: for instance a better way of checking their kit or a simple phone call or phoning the chamber sooner etc.

I know where you are coming from, but I thought that to repeat the question was rather harsh - even rude - and may dissuade people from posting on this sub forum.

Surely part of the Dive Leader training will address any issues this incident has raised. I asolutely believe that you can never be completely certain how you would respond to an incident until it happens. once somethign has happened, it tends to make you aware of potential recurrences thus giving you the experience of dealing with situations and the ability to deal with them appropriately when you don't have a instructor watching.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Surely part of the Dive Leader training will address any issues this incident has raised. I asolutely believe that you can never be completely certain how you would respond to an incident until it happens. once somethign has happened, it tends to make you aware of potential recurrences thus giving you the experience of dealing with situations and the ability to deal with them appropriately when you don't have a instructor watching.
Yep - agree with this.

But as I said before - I think there is also a little room for constructive discussion within this sub-forum where it is merited - otherwise members could post anything and say they've learnt from it with no feedback from us (I am not saying this is the case with Stuart).

Discussion is healthy - when we keep our cool. If you post something up here - then you *want* people to know what you did was wrong; how you coped and finally what you learnt from it. You must expect people to ask questions of the experience - as this too draws on the detail from your post and helps all members learn from it.

just my 2p.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
WILBO

Where is the constructive feedback/discussion in the above? I think this is what people may be objecting to.
hey.. dont shout.. :)

Yes Nick was a little enthusiastic with his comments (I am sure he meant them constructively) and ..
from my first reply.

What do you want me to say? Nick was Rude? I won't. I know him and he is a spot on guy who speaks his mind - but would drop what he is doing to help you out - whoever you are.. Was he a little strong? Yes. He was a little.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an aside:
Scubadoos in S Croydon who kept my normal bc (with all my bits and bobs on it) apologised for having forgotten to order the part and returned it fully fitted and charged me nothing. This is without any complaint other than the initial look of despair when I realised I had no bc the day before the dive. So I feel it only fair to mention that their customer care when things stuff up is tops.

Stuart

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts

True,

The original comment of the person who criticised, apropos dive leader training, was not, however, constructive - not in my view anyway.

Yes, it is possible that the originator of the thread might not be ready for that sort of responsibility yet (personally I don't know, I have no idea what it entails) but the bald statement would be seriously negative to an already shaken and stirred diver.

There are ways and means of delivering such a message, this (IMNSHO) was not one of them.

Cheers,

Christian
http://lovetodive.net/Lovetodive/CG.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
humm i was going to post some of the things that i have had happen to me or my studients but having read the responces i think i keep them to myself.

The idea of this thread was for people to post things without being ripped to bits.

good idea but i think people would very soon see this forum cant manage to be nice most of the time

What i also find amusing is most of the time the nasty comments are made by those with less than perfect historys themseves.

Also some of those who think they are qualified to comment dont seem to have all that much experence (mabe not in this perticular case)

·
Taking on the jellies
143 Posts
being new to diving and this forum, i find it quite helpful to read what mistakes people have made and how they rectified them, it would be a shame if people stopped posting were things have went wrong before/during their dives

Flip

1 - 20 of 30 Posts