YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Online kit serial number register - Would you use one?

• Yes - I think its a great idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I think its a daft idea

• No - I wouldn't trust an online service to keep my info safe

• No - I use the BSAC service

• No - I'd rather inform the police

• No - I'd rather pay for this service

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

With the topic on stolen gear running in the Equipment section, the question about equipment serial numbers came up. Although the police and BSAC have services where you can register the details of your kit (type, serial number, etc) with them and possibly get it back if its stolen and later recovered, it seems a very long winded process.

So, I came up with an idea. Wouldn't it be great to have an online database where clubs and people can register their equipment details online for free? When someone comes to buy some equipment they could come to the site, select the type of item it was (ie, regulator, cylinder, etc) and the serial number and get either a warning that the item is stolen or that its owned and shown the ownsers name. of course, lists of stolen equipment could be downloaded from the site and displayed in clubs, shops, etc and forwarded to the police (if they are interested).

However, this system would only work if people used it. I'm happy to write the code to get such a web site off the ground but I want to know if its worth me investing my time  

PS I'd also be interested in knowing who else would want to help - No man is an island and all that  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Nick
Porg (Helen) ran into a bit of difficulty regarding keeping members personal info on a database, however it would be possible to have say the serial nos and a code letter/screen name assigned with no other info, thus getting round the data protection thingy. We would have a database of stolen stuff, wouldnt even need to know whose it was, the potential purchaser could do a search and if found post that they had been offered the stuff. Owners could remove the info under their name if they sold kit on. Etc.
What help do you need? Site testing/coding? Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 01 2004,13:17)]Porg (Helen) ran into a bit of difficulty regarding keeping members personal info on a database, however it would be possible to have say the serial nos and a code letter/screen name assigned with no other info, thus getting round the data protection thingy.
Ok, first off this isn't an April Fools day joke - I know some of you have been thinking that  

I think we would be ok as the people who register would only be providing data they are happy to part with and we wouldn't be getting info from third parties about them. As for people searching I was thinking it would only show the owners name, whether the equipment was stolen or not and perhaps provide a message app so they can communicate without knowing each others email addresses. It would also be easy to allow the users to supress their name being displayed if they wish to.

As for help, well testing, graphics and site layout would be very helpful (I'm not very artistically gifted) as would any information on legal matters.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Ok Data protection head on…  As long as you cant identify a living individual no issue..  I.E just a name does not identify someone however if you added an address that would as one could drive to the address and watch to see who comes and goes therefore identifying the said individual..

If you have just the persons name and the serial numbers of their kit then I would suggest there is no issue.  The problem would be the contact details as the ISP (Database owner) would have to insure that the data retained within is kept secure at all time..  To pass the contact details on to a third party this could be the person who’s lost the kit all you would need is consent..

I would suggest that when people submit data to you there is some kind of warning disclaimer that states that all information supplied could be passed on to a third party in the event we find out that you selling doggy kit or we find your kit..  Or words to that effect…  And information supplied will only be used to aid the recovery of misplaced / stolen dive equipment..  

Sean

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I hope the 1% that voted :  (No - I'd rather not know if I'm buying stolen gear)
chokes on the stolen kit they have obtained.
If I catch anybody selling or buying my (or anybody ellses kit ) I will personaly arange they have a nasty accident !

Wack

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sean @ April 01 2004,16:39)]on to a third party in the event we find out that you selling doggy kit or we find your kit
Like leashes and collars and stuff?

Peter

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

How about there is no limit on the number of users who register a specific serial number? That way if you come to buy an item and its listed with more than one user then you can message them both and see if one sold it to the other (or one has nicked it from the other and been silly enough to re-register it!  
).

Its a pitty that the people who have voted that its not a good idea haven't said why. The security isn't a problem as the database would be encoded and only hold a username, email address and an optional real name. I can't see that as much to worry about from  a security point of view.  

1 - 11 of 11 Posts