YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how to create a crisis, and waste the time of emergency services Mr Shaw style :embarassed: :embarassed:

20 minutes ago, I was joining the M1 and as I was going down the slip road, a Land Rover Discovery, was going along in the middle lane, with loads of smoke coming out of the nearside front wheel arch

Thinking the engine was on fire, I chased him ( 100 MPH your honour, but I've got an excuse :teeth: ) and caught up with him, flashing my lights and tooting the horn, I got him to pull over onto the hard shoulder, where he then noticed all the smoke, and jumped out of the car and got away to a safe distance.

I took him into my van and let him use the phone to call the Fire brigade, still with loads of dark smoke coming from the engine, He told me that his power steering had "gone heavy" about 100 miles ago, but he's just ignored it.
by the time the fire brigade got there ( 3-5 mins, good work guys ) the car still had'nt gone up in flames, and there was virtually no smoke at all now :embarassed:

So now on the hard shouder, I've got a fire engine with a full crew, who have been called out, because I'm a moron, who can't tell the difference between an overheated engine and a fire :embarassed:

but in my defence, the guy shook my hand 4 times and thanked me, and the fire brigade were ok about it too,

I kind of know I did the right thing, better safe than sorry and all that, But I still feel a moron :embarassed:

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Of course you do...and are :D but hey.....they'd rather get a call out to a false alarm than not get a call out to a real emergency....or get a call out to an emergency involving casualties.

And they like the practice sometimes ....especially on a lovely sunny day :D

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
The guy got off quite lightly.

A few years ago I had a bit of oil dripping on to the exhaust manifold on my car when I pulled into the services on the M74. Loads of smoke though nothing serious but someone phoned the fire brigade. They came out, I explained it was alright and there was no fire but they insisted on hosing down the engine and cutting the electrics. I'd just done about 200miles without a break so everything was very hot, when the water hit the engine you could almost here the cylinder head cracking. They leave, I am now the proud owner of one knackered 2.5L Subaru engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So now on the hard shouder, I've got a fire engine with a full crew, who have been called out, because I'm a moron, who can't tell the difference between an overheated engine and a fire :embarassed:
To be fair, an overheated engine is bloody dangerous! My car overheated many times last year and it scared the shit out of me. I had to wait at the side of the A43 for 6 hours once because it was too hot to put any water in it and then when I did put water in it, I found a hole in my engine and had to get a friend to bring me radweld and some putty to fix it. Good old radweld! Its been fine since now.

Good job though Jim, better safe than sorry!

Ax

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
I Know :) and it was in a Astra van, with 114,000 miles on the clock, I almost took out my phone to take a photo of the speedometer !!! :teeth:
Two crimes for the price of one:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remind me never to buy a used car from you!!!
The man at the garage said he would leave it because Id done such a good job! My car is on its last legs anyways, it will go for scrap when its done. Im too honest, id tell people. I told some people who were going to buy our washing machine that it was ok and did the job but it was crap. It had eaten some clothes previously and I wasnt going to lie to them. My housemate told me that I was a dick for telling them it was crap lol.

Ax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would'nt have to tell them, they'd take 1 look at your car, and they'd know :) , :p
OI! Shes not THAT poorly. She still gets me from Oxford to Cardiff to North Yorkshire in 24 hours and then goes back to manchester and back. Shes doing very very well. I talk to her too! It keeps her going!

Ax

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Good work Jim, and yes, better safe than sorry.

Also, you pulled over onto hard shoulder before using telephone. Very good show! :teeth:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well Done

Jim,
Regardless, you did the right thing, if he'd gone up in flames u wouldn't be able to forgive your self.
Have some green for being so public spirited.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts