YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

...apart from the fact that they don't fall off. How should a fin fit on your foot. I've just got my first set of open foot fins and I'm worried they could be too big. They are okay with my dry suit boots but I'm worried about using them with smaller Neoprene boots on holiday, etc.

Can anyone tell me how much of my heel/boot should be sticking out of the back of the fin. If I put my bare foot into the fin the very back of my heel is just level with the back of the fin i.e. pretty much totally in the fin.

I haven't got any neoprene boots at the moment to test the fit.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Richard,

Yep common problem,  fin that fits with neoprene booties won't fit with drysuit boots and fin that fits with the drysuit is a bit big with neoprene booties.

My original neoprene bootie fins were passed onto my wife when I got my drysuit (Thay had some great battle scars on as well from a Titan Triggerfish) and I just bought a bigger size fin.   I now use the same fins with my drysuit, with booties and even bare feet in the pool.  

Personally I do not find it a problem, they are a tad big with booties but it does not cause me any problems.   Try them in the pool with booties on, as long as they do not fall off or cause discomfort or blisters stick with them.

How much you heel sticks out is going to vary from different makes of fin anyway so it is difficult to say whether it is likely to be a problem, only trying them with the booties will give you the answer.

BTW, with bare feet the back of my heel is only just outside of the fin - Mares Quattros.

Daz

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

with my dry suit on the back of my heel is 1-2 cm sticking out, have bungee straps and they stay put fine.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Daz, thanks for the info. I've got the Mares X3s so doesn't sound like I'm too far out. I think I'll have to risk it as I'm wanting to use them this weekend in the sea.

I expect they'll get a few scuffs as it's a shore dive and the shop probably won't take them back if they are marked.

Thanks again

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Richard,

You should be able to minimise the problem as you do not have any neoprene booties yet,  when you do get some, just get some  booties that have a nice thick sole for clambering over rocks.

Daz

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Yeah I was thinking I'd get some chunky boots. I've been shore diving in Malta recently and I really wish I'd had some good boots. I had to hire some and they were crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts