YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Some of you my remember the post I made some time ago abt whether there was an optimum breathing rate to achieve on a deco stop to maximise the efficiency of nitrogen off gassing. As usual it was a load of crap, although it seemed a sensible enough question at the time. Anyway, below is the reply I received from DDRC when I followed the matter up :-

I am unsure whether I can answer your question as it is rather involved. I suggest that you start at the new Edition of “Bennet and Elliots Physiology and medicine of diving” A number of factors determine breathing rates which are independant of nitrogen elimination. It is important to consider CO2 levels in the body which determine your respiratory rate both in tidal volume and respiratory rate. This can be overcome by conscious effort but you would suffer the consequence of hypo or hypercapnia which can cause more problem tahtn the increased or decreased elimination of nitrogen that you are trying to suggest. Then other factors such as body temperature, dehydration levels, factors affection “bubbling” in the tissues ie the gradient of elimination of nitrogen from the body is longer thatn the uptake due to microbubbles...  thus the question you pose is rather involved...
Fiona
Dr Fiona Sharp

Diving Physician to Dr Phil Bryson.
Diving Diseases Research Centre
Hyperbaric Medical Centre
Tamar Science Park
Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BU

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Oct. 20 2003,12:11)]Eh?
Was that question to me or Fiona? If Fiona, and if you did not understand her reply, try looking at the link and following that information given there.  
Gas laws.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'd suggest you ignore the letter and just breathe normally with the highest ppO2 you prefer, after all evolution was been working on our physiology for a lot longer than Drs. Sharp, Bennett and Elliots. My scientific experience has taught me that there is such a thing as over-analyzing a situation.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

It was the fact that she very carefully said nothing.

I'm with Steve'W on this one

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts