YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
beware of imitations
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me with additional information on the following...

Recently my mother, knowing my interest in diving, passed me a family heirloom; a small mug in plain and ruby coloured glass. The story with it is as follows...

Apparantly my great-grandfather was a man by the name of Stevenson who farmed on the island of Stronsay, Orkney. My grand-mother, his daughter, was one of a family of 18!

One dark stormy night a scandinavian ship was wrecked on the south of the island, in an area known as the Bay of Holland. Whilst some of the crew drowned some were rescued by my great-grandfather, taken in at the farm and given shelter, before being helped home to Norway. Subsequently the king of Norway wrote personally to Mr Stevenson and thanked him for his help and kindness.

The story continues that my great-grandfather then bought the rights to the wreck, which was carrying brass decorative items and glassware...

But, that is as much as I know! I don't know if the wreck sank (in which case it might still be there and diveable) or if it was destroyed on the shore, in which case there is probably no sign of it remaining. I've no idea what the ship was called.

Can anyone help with the name of the wreck, or any other information? I do wonder what happened to that letter, and the rest of the cargo. As a guess, based on the ages people in the family have lived to, I suspect we are looking back to 1830 - 1860 but I might be decades out.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll be diving Scapa Flow in a couple of weeks and might do some further digging with the local museums, although I doubt I will be able to get out to Stronsay itself.

Kind regards,

M.

·
beware of imitations
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stronsay Wrecks

Ron Young said:
Hi

I found three that could be your wreck, but they are just 'maybe's'; it would all depend on how old he was;)
The wooden Norwegian sailing vessel Familia Lucken...
The wooden Norwegian sailing vessel Maria Sophia...
On 24 April 1900 the 980-ton Aberdeen steamer St Rognvald...
Hope that might be useful;)

Cheers Ron
Thanks Ron. Although I think the St Rognvald is unlikely to be 'the' wreck I'll do some digging with respect to the other two. Where did you find out about them? They'd be a little earlier than I expected but still within the bounds of possibility.

Adrian, it's the right island and I'm pretty confident that the ship involved was Norwegian; my mother usually turns out to be right on details like that... I'd certainly like to have sight of the letter to confirm but it has been a big family and widely spread, so it could be anywhere now.

Cheers,

M.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts