YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
You think I know nothing....and I do!!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys,

Well, my unit has now sold and I am faced with the difficulty oftrying to get my money back from our friends at OSEL for the deposit on the‘monitoring package’

I have emailed them now around 4 times and I think its safe tosay they have put me on their ‘ignore list’ and have stopped responding. (whata surprise)

They have given me the standard line of ‘no refund will beforthcoming until my so called ‘build slot’ is re-sold.

What a total load of guff for something we have been waiting forfor years, and may still be waiting for for years.

Does anyone have any suggestions here on the best way to dealwith this unreasonable stance? I am of the opinion that their T&C’s arepretty meaningless after the continual delays and they have failed inthemselves to supply these goods within the initial 16 week timeframe.This is a good example of OSEL at their worse. I am worried for the future ofthis project, and the company and Alex are certainly showing their true spots with me at the moment!!

Can anyone remember who the Trading Standards people were that dealt with them previously??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
From what I've heard, they are well and truly in fundamental breach of their own T&C's, most certainly a few implied statutory terms so take the legal route and sort it that way. It is very easy to do online and will get their attention pretty quick.

G

·
Registered
482 Posts
FWIW, I cancelled with them in Jan '11 they promised "refund on sale of order slot as per T's & C's", my money appeared in full in mid June (IIRC) I can only assume that was when someone bought another O2-CCR.... IMO the refund was the only promise they made that they've delivered on so I'd guess you'll be alright in the end- Good luck :)

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Small claims will cost about £90 to obtain a judgement, and about another £150ish to enforce.
If they are as indicated, its a waste of money; It would be better spent on some KY to ease the pain.
Did you pay by credit card? If so dispute it.
trading standards may cause trouble, but it will be of little benefit to you.

Do OSEL actually sell ANYTHING?

from previous experience this has all the feel of a pre pack liquidation on the horizon, with an affiliate company being the largest creditor.

Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Small claims will cost about £90 to obtain a judgement, and about another £150ish to enforce.
If they are as indicated, its a waste of money; It would be better spent on some KY to ease the pain.
Did you pay by credit card? If so dispute it.
trading standards may cause trouble, but it will be of little benefit to you.

Do OSEL actually sell ANYTHING?

from previous experience this has all the feel of a pre pack liquidation on the horizon, with an affiliate company being the largest creditor.

Caveat Emptor
Wouldn't the organisation that put a load of money into the business call in their debt against their assets etc? Surely that wasn't a gift, it must have been secured in some way?

As above - suggest small claims (if it is within the amounts they can resolve) and you might get somewhere. I can't imagine a court siding with a company that has failed to deliver a product for this long, and perhaps the judgement will help others in a similar position to get what they have paid for.

Digs.

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Wouldn't the organisation that put a load of money into the business call in their debt against their assets etc? Surely that wasn't a gift, it must have been secured in some way?

As above - suggest small claims (if it is within the amounts they can resolve) and you might get somewhere. I can't imagine a court siding with a company that has failed to deliver a product for this long, and perhaps the judgement will help others in a similar position to get what they have paid for.

Digs.
"with an affiliate company being the largest creditor" covers that reasonably well.

The equipment is probably leased, if its owned then who by?

I`ve got nearly thirty years of watching shyster outfits (round here usually fabricators) get away with it.

The best you can hope for is the guy suffers a knee injury walking into a club.

Kiss the dosh goodbye, they saw you coming.

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Small claims court. They've almost certainly broken any reasonable contract to supply, and you should get most of your money back.
Dont delay - fill in those forms on-line now.

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
The reality of small claims court is you often end up throwing good money after bad. It is only really worth doing against really stand up organisations, your average shyster will just fold and you end up paying for it.

One of the best things though is that the hearing is usually heard at the claimants local county court (especially if claimant is a private individual) so OSEL would have to travel to Somerset (unless they can invent some disabled dependent etc so they can't leave home - as some crook from Blackpool did to me).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very true, I have suffered form the same (although in my case the git did a runner and no one can find him!)

Just heard a bit on the radio about restorative justice, made he wish I'd taken a pony cylinder to the a*holes ankles when he first tried to screw me over :)

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Yanosh,

As has been said here before, you have been steadfast in your support of OSEL despite the barrage of abuse that this has doubtless brought you. I have followed your experiences with interest and I am very sorry to see that it has come to this.

I do hope that you get your money back, either directly or via small claims court / trading standards.

On an associated line, how long is it reasonable to wait for a product before going to SCC/TS for redress? It seems as though OSEL has people by the balls on this one (the reasons for the delay aside), which surely must be a horrendous situation to be in.

Had the whole thing come along a couple of years later than it did, I could well have been one of those early adopters / investors left holding the baby and if I had, my wife would probably have divorced me by now!

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Thing is though, OSEL arnt exactly fly by night chancers, and certainly wont fold over one claim, so I'd think Moley has a very real chance of a succesful resolution.

I thought all the small claims stuff was held in Wellingborough......it certainly used to be, but maybe not now.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
If you were to assume that the Apoc was a sideline developed to secure a 'reference' they could use in pursuit of contracts for commy rebreather development, then you'd expect the company to want to preserve its reputation.

I think I'd be going along the lines of a nice letter giving them 7 days notice of your intent to goto small claims unless an immediate refund is granted, in accordance with SOGA.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts