YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

i think bren that the bank holiday weekend is the one after, the 30 & 31st.  not that that maters!!

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren,

It sounds fantastic the way you put it down, however I wouldn't build your imagination up too much. Okay, there is still the odd thing to find, especially alloy ingots, but both wrecks have been well salvaged and what there is goes into the sand, plus 1,000's of local divers have been rummaging around the remains for the past 20 or 30 years at least. In those days both the wrecks were very large, but sadly very little of the structures remain. The engine/boilers area of the Chandris are the biggest sections of her, with the rest just plates etc mostly buried, however there is still lots of 303 ammo and a few empty pom-pom shells to be found. The Oslo engine area is also the biggest section of that once proud ship and she is probably the better of the two, but nothing to write home about. You'd most likely still enjoy at least one rummage around though. At weekends during the summer and even some evenings, you often have as many as 15 dive boats over them too.
There are far more other interesting wrecks to be dived not very far away from these two, which I would opt for.

For a first class (hard-boat) charter-boat, try Bob Scullion at Marsden Dive Centre, South Shields and he can sort other things out for you too. Tele: 0191 4277820
Bob will take you to wrecks no one else goes to and whatever depth you want, plus mixed gasses if that's your scene.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Ron,

I can see why people buy your books! That kind of ready-to-hand, 1st-hand experience (not merely 'opinion') is worth its weight in gold mate.

So, what are we saying? Good place to dive but choose another wreck/pair of wrecks?? If so, please feel free to recommend away as I'll always go with local knowledge and experience.

I'd still be interested in diving the Oslofjord and Chandris combo at some stage, though, if nothing more than to see the sheer weight of debris to dived.

I think we should do a North East dive weekend, as it gives those who live up that neck of the woods, plus the Jockanese contingent, the chance to get wet with us without having to travel massive amounts to get there and back.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren

Volumes-1 & 2 of my Shipwrecks of the North East Coast gives you all the details of almost every wreck in this area.
The bows of the CHANDRIS run into the OSLO and between the two engine areas there are lots of half buried plates and gunnels coming out of the sand, amongst which you will find 303 ammo by the handful. Quite a number of cod, wrasse and lobsters can also be seen under them, while a shoal of pout whiting can usually be found at the sternend of the CHANDRIS, northeast of the engine/boilers. The huge engines of the OSLO is the most interesting, because it is around here that bits of trinkets are found amongst the piles of debris, if you are lucky and really need them. The wreck of the RENNEN is just a little further out from the CHANDRIS, lying in 16m, lowest astronomical depth, while right outside the two piers and about quarter of a mile, there is a bunch of wrecks together, including the CRYSTAL, SARGASSO, MARNE, ALBIA & RIO COLORADO, which are well worth a visit. From around 25-45m you can take your pick from over a dozen, but of course the best intact ones are in much deeper water and very little dived.
Bob at Marsden Dive Centre is the very guy to take you anyone you want. His hard boat has a swim on platform at the stern and the boat is now designed for divers, what more could you want??

Cheers Ron

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

So is it the bank holiday or the weekend before? (I'm diving the Farnes on the Bank Holiday you see and if its the weekend before then I can go!)

WL

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Bank Holiday Weekend - 23rd & 24th August 2003.

I've absolutely no idea why we haven't thought of this before now (so you're all in detention!), but I've just snagged Hayhurst's copy of 'Dive North East', by Dave Shaw & Barry Winfield, and alighted on the wrecks of the 'Oslofjord' and the 'Eugenia Chandris' - which 'straddle' each other - 'wreck sex' anyone??

Quick heads-up on the 'Oslofjord': a 'two-stack' trans-Atlantic passenger liner, she sank in 1940 after hitting an acoustic mine, just outside the mouth of the Tyne (that's Newcastle-upon, for any non-notherners reading this); she is 590 feet long, bow to stern; has a beam of 73 feet; a draught of 27 feet and displaced 20,000 tonnes, gross register - 18,673 tonnes. She carried 860 passengers: first class 152; tourist class 307; third class 401 and a crew of 310 (so not small). And, and here's the good bit, she's in only 15 metres (!) of water!! Happy Days for a mixed group

Divers are still bringing crockery, pewter tableware and silver cutlery offer her - as she has no known (as per the above named book - printed in 1988) 'Salvors in Possession'. Far be it from me to say 'Lift-bags at the ready!'

She also has the ignominy of having the wreck of the 'Eugenia Chandris' lying across her (and she's still got assorted ammunition and all sorts of general cargo on her) - there is actually evidence of a third wreck in the debris field but, from what I can gather, there's little info on her (Ron Young, can you help here??)

So, the gig is this: meet on the Friday night (or Saturday AM) in the general environs (accom, RV times etc. TBA) for a couple of polite liveners (keep it quiet though, John Gulliver might be reading   ) and then have a least two dives on the leviathan and either pick an alternative set of dives for the Sunday, or take two more on the Oslofjord/Chandris - after all, there's more than enough to keep us occupied....and then some.

This is where you North East chappies with experience of the manor come in. We will need a read on the local charter boats and Skippers who can be recommended; info on bunk-houses, B&B's, camping, static caravans etc. The usual stuff. Even if you just provide me with the info on Skippers and RIBs, I can do the homework regarding booking, pricing etc.

Can I also please ask for any one with actual experience of diving the beast to post a 1st-hand account of what it was like - what to expect, conditions, tides, viz, good and bad points, Skippers used for the gig, do's and don'ts etc? Thanks in advance.

Have a wee swatch at this URL for a ruck of info her and the Chandris:

http://www.google.com/search?....+Search

Righty then, let's be having your names down for this top wreck-diving weekend:

1 * Bren Tierney
2 * Andy2Tanx
3 * Wetlettuce
4 * Chris Hall
5 * Liz Rimer
6 * ..........??

Divers = 6

Possibles:

?
?

Times and place for RV TBA soon, just need names at the moment.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well as I'm the only "local" on the boards I guess I'd better be there in case any of you foreigners run into trouble with the natives, ie The Sandancers (cue that egyptian tune)  

"how man, yee looking at me f-in pint ?" Biffa Bacon isn't some made up character you know  

You know what, I've never actually dive the Oslo even though it's almost a shore dive here, it gets very crowded with ribs so bring a hard hat for the falling weight belts  

Re skippers, I've never been on a Tyneside charter boat as the uni club used its inflatable and RIB for local dives, Guess Ron Young is the best info source for that.

As for accomodation if you want to stay in South Shields the street which leads from the beach, Ocean Road,  is all Guest Houses  on one side and all pubs and Curry Houses on t'other side - ideal eh?

If you want to dive north of the river it'll mean a trip thru the Tyne Tunnel to get there. "The Pandora" is a pretty popular wreck up near Blyth, about 5-10 miles north of South Shields  
"The Cider Wreck" is a bit near to the shipping lane, bit of a sphincter dive when you hear the throbbing turbines

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>This sounds like an excellent trip and I would have loved to have joined you.  Lets hope you have a good time and decide to do it again.  Unfortuanately I will be on a long flight to the Maildives, oh dear!!
 but I will think about you all.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in Stevie mate,

Righty then, let's be having your names down for this top wreck-diving weekend:

1 * Bren Tierney
2 * Andy2Tanx
3 * Wetlettuce
4 * Stevie Walker
5 * ..........??

Total = 4

Possibles:

?
?

Come on Willo, no excuses as this gaff's right on your doorstep!

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Havent read all the post but Im sure will be good, count me in if room, somebody better come along to make sure stevey dont get too drunk and sleep on his hand again

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

You've gone and done it again Bren.

First for the first Anglesea gig you pick a weekend when l,m with the wild weegie in the Sound of Mull.

Second you pick a weekend when l'll be in Malta

Third, this gig l'll have just come back from a week in Scapa, a couple of days in the farnes, two days work one days diving in dover and then a p..xy wedding on the Sat, so thats me out of it again.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi Bren ever thought of arainging dives for a living.
Any way I'll have some of this its only a couple of hours up the road for me. see you soon Louigi.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Almost forgot, "wor lass" might be up for it too, if she can remember how to dive after all that Uni stuff. Will try to get her out on some YD gigs now that she's finished her degree
Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Can't let you boys have all the fun....

Apologies to the YD Scottish Fraction  -diving in In-ger-lund again *shudder*

Should be back in the water for then......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

OK Bren - put me down for it - can use the Anglesey £30 'left overs' for a start. Better had do seeing as its only 2 hours up the road.

Alistair

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Bren

I'm sorry, just checked my dates and that weekend I'm diving the Farnes.

I will get on one of these dives one day  

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in people,

Righty then, let's be having your names down for this top & 'easy' wreck-diving weekend - and the chance for an all-points YD hangout together:

1 * Bren Tierney
2 * Andy2Tanx
3 * Alistair
4 * Stevie Walker
5 * Liz ('Wor Lass')
6 * Wee Ben
7 * Louigi
8 * Driftwood
9 * ...........??
10 * ..........??

Total = 8

Possibles:

??

Sorry Howard mate, we will get to dive one day, I promise. Anyway, you've got plenty going on anyway, so we demand some dive reports from that little lot!  

NB: Once we get to TEN divers for this gig, I'll confirm more of the details, and I'll need to confiirm with the recommended skipper now too!

"Come on YD, you know you wan-it! DON'T make me beg !!"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren, Hi all,

I'm certainly up for this one as it's on my doorstep - and the Tyne Wrecks should make great diving in late August.

I would say there's no need to fix on exactly what to dive until a few days before hand - if there's been heavy rain, for example, the wrecks nearer the breakwaters can have reduced viz on them.

I would (with deference to Ron's much greater knowledge of the area) agree with him that the Oslo isn't that miraculous a dive. It's nice, ok, and makes a good second dive after something deeper in the morning, but I wonder whether two dives on the Oslo is what you want when there are so many other sweet wrecks to explore in the area.

A weekend in which you did, say, the Mars (31m), the Pandora (23m), the Eston (27m) and ended up with a nice off gas on the Oslo (14m) (all depths are what my log book says and obviously may vary slightly with tide) would be most enjoyable I would say - but as Ron points out there's an embarrassment of choice! Note that at that depth you can have an hour easy exploring the Oslo/Chandris.

Viz varies from wreck to wreck but you should cop 6m without too much difficulty at that time of year.

Bring a big torch especially for deeper wrecks.

So count me in Bren if you've room for a little'un!

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well-in Paul, and are indeed welcome to the gig!

Righty then, let's be having your names down for this top & 'easy' wreck-diving weekend - and the chance for an all-points YD hangout together:

1 * Bren Tierney
2 * Andy2Tanx
3 * Alistair
4 * Stevie Walker
5 * Liz ('Wor Lass')
6 * Wee Ben
7 * Louigi
8 * Driftwood
9 * Paul C
10 * ..........??

Total = 9

Possibles:

?
???

Sorry Howard mate, we will get to dive one day, I promise. Anyway, you've got plenty going on anyway, so we demand some dive reports from that little lot!  

Hey Paul, words of wisdom there mate and, when added with Ron's, we couldn't be better served really. As you say, in truth we can make the call on the wrecks to be dived on the morning of the gig, but we best get the skipper booked now. My next task for early next week.

NB: Once we get to TEN divers we will have filled one boat. I'll then begin another list and if we can fill that boat too (a la Anglesey) then fine - the more YD'ers on-the-jazz, the better!

"Come on YD, you know you wan-it! DON'T make me beg !!"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Look forward to seeing you all - been too long since I was on a YD meet, and haven't had the advantage of meeting you at all, Bren!

When booking the boat it might be as well to ask the skipper if the tides for the days you pick will have any bearing on what we should/shouldn't dive or the timing: I know the Mars in particular isn't ideal at certain states of the tide.

Later,

Paul

1 - 20 of 33 Posts