YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right Folks, whist at Divers Warehous today I tried on and reserved a second hand Brittanic Drysuit.  It was a front loader with an integral hood, pee zip, balanced pee valve, latex wrist seals with neoprene covers and braces.  It had been used on the Otter-sponsored Brittanic expedition (?
) and then returned to Otter.  The fit was fairly good although slightly difficult to get on - I put this down to being a different design to my current DS (back entry ND Compressed Neoprene).  The seals will need trimming and the in-sole of the left boot seems to be coming away and the legs were a smidge too short.  The price was 200 squidies, new its near 700!

Note: The reason I'm looking is that my current DS is a very snug fit.  So much so that I can't really wear my nice warm undersuit for when its really cold.  Also, if and when I move to twins the current DS would not allow me to reach the isolation valve etc.  

I intend to go back and try it on with my Undersuit and Thermals to make sure it fits ok.  At the price I'm tempted to get the boots changed and have the legs lengthed slightly at the same time.

At the price I'm tempted to sanp it up but any comments before I do?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

If you can touch your toes with undersuit on aswell and can reach behind your neck, ie your hand doesnt stop somewhere near you ear because of the suit then go for it mate. DW will probably have told you this allready they are very good. It is a top suit (I want one). #### of a deal I must get down there and see what they have got.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Well I finally bought the DS.  I'd just to to say thanks to the guys from DW.  I rocked up at the door at 5:15 the other day.  Went to the top of the warehouse to get the suit and it turned out I was mis-quoted on the price (seriously mis-quoted).  Anyway we agreed on a new, and still excellent, price and I then asked if I could try on the suit with my Undersuits, No problem came the answer despite the fact that it was well past closing time by now.  I had all the help in getting into the suit and doing the various exercises to check that it did indeed fit properly with no signs of impatience or being rushed from the guys.  Excellent.  I bought a few more bits and bobs and was done.  

All-in-all a good experience.  I think I can say that this was probably my best experience with a dive store anywhere and they will certainly get more of my custom.

BTW It turns out that the suit's previous owner was one Kevin Gurr (Who? I asked)  So the suit has seen a bit of water - somewhere in the shallows I expect;)

So now I have two drysuits.  A ND Divemaster com. Neoprene with brand new St-Tek valves and the Otter.  I am now ready to dive whatever the temperature!  

All I need now is to be allowed out to dive.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Timing the suit sounds the business, thinking about an Otter front entry suit myself. After the neoprene ND suit I find the membrane a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

If anyone is after a britannic suit, mine is up for sale, hardly used, excellent condition,large size.
genuine reason for sale - I want a larger britannic.
With winter undersuit on I cannot get my valves, either the suits shrunk (doubtful) or I've put on far too much weight (more likely)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Timing,
I've got a Narvic which is a Brittanic with neo' seals, had it for about a year and am still chuffed to bits with it,and for £200 it sounds like you have got a bargain
there.

Enjoy!

safe diving,
Steve.  

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Timing
Let me know when and where your going diving, I want to come along for the laugh

Like you I have a Neoprene and wanted the membrane (from DW) to put on extra layers. You'll love it, its like learning to dive all over again

Boyancy, weighting, dumping air, bloody horrible, even the novices are better for some reason?
Still the lads at DW are really great and have some very good deals IF you are prepeared to ask them.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Well I got to use the suit today (after trimming the latex seals - cheers Bren) up at St Abbs and it bloody Rocks!  

Had to get used to the Apeks inflator valve tho - the ND valves on the Neo suit were very noisy and the air gushed through them, the Apeks are far slower and almost absolutely silent - I thought it wasn't working at first.

It really was great to wear two sets of thermals and my undersuit and suffer no loss of movement - Excellent and nice and warm.

I was worried that I might suffer from floaty feet but no problems there and the dump valve worked perfectly - ah heaven.

With Neoprene cuffs covering the latex seals and with the attached hood I really was warm - except my feet cos the boots aren't neoprene and I wasn't wearing thinsulate sockies / booties.  

But this really is an excellent suit and after the neoprene WOW, what a difference - Parahandy, get yerself one mate, you'll love it..

Like Steve S, I'm chuffed to bits!

Cheers DW.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Tim as you know I salivated over your suit all weekend.. yeah sorry about the mess mate.. It truly is a nice suit and is now in the top two choices of new drybag for me soon.

The scary thing is you even looked good innit, must be worth a bloody fortune then eh ;)

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hey Dave nae worries over the saliva mate, its great for washing off the salt.

A suit that make you look good is bloody priceless.  Now if I could only find some civvies that would do the same...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts