YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK so here we are in New Zealand in the middle of winter and I'm seriously considering an Otter Dry Suit as I'm fed up with not diving.  So the question's are basically "How good are they?", "Any downsides to the design?", "Have you got one or had one and would you buy another?"
Many thanks for the help/advice.

ALl the best

DavidW
-Bye-

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Very good, I'm currently using one.
The only downside so far is it's too bloody tough.
I wanted to install a P-valve. Had to put in a hole for it. Decided to use a professional hole-punch I had access to.
So, 2x4 wood inside the suit leg, hole-punch in the right place, whack it with a sledgehammer a few times.
A nice, perfectly round hole appeared in the 2x4, about a centimeter deep.
The suit wasn't even scuffed.
Had to melt through it with a soldering iron in the end...

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

As far as I know isn't it Paul aka innerrealm who sells otter in new zealand?

http://www.innerrealm.co.nz

He might let you try one out or give you some help etc

Kindest Regards

WL

PS: Yes, it is a DIR site but look under products. Otter suits are there.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well kind of related (Sort of)...  I am also thinking of a new suit,  currently I am cosidering the Otter Brittanic.

Anyone used these ?

The other make that I was considering was the DUI range,  (Andy,  haven't you got one recently (What is cave cut style BTW ?)).

Any comments on the rock boot system, the idea seems good (Bearing in mind my suits boots are now looking pretty worn on the bottoms).

Daz

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Aug. 01 2003,14:38)]The other make that I was considering was the DUI range,  (Andy,  haven't you got one recently (What is cave cut style BTW ?)).

Any comments on the rock boot system, the idea seems good (Bearing in mind my suits boots are now looking pretty worn on the bottoms).

Daz
Hi

Cave Cut TLS 350. Cave cut is a more streamlined suit which was requested by some of the cave divers in Florida. It is quite a tight fit but still allows you to reach your valves and stuff. The biggest thing I noticed was the legs. They are exactly the right length and so there is no gathering around the ankle. This meant that it was slightly more restrictive whilst frogkicking (although I only noticed this on the backkick)

I've worn the suit once and it was excellent. More mobility than my ND Cortex and much lighter. They design it to allow the use of a 400gm Thinsulate (which I got with it) and I wear a 4th Element Xerotherm which keeps the thinsulate from getting sweaty (meaning less washing!!) It was actually a bit too warm for the summer and so I'll probably wear my 200 Flectalon next time. The absolute best bit was the position of the shoulder dump. The dump on the cortex is placed on the bicep which is pants if you want to ascend horizontally, but the DUI is further round on the shoulder and as you ascend the air just expels automatically, I was grinning all the way to the surface.

I didn't choose rockboots and had the turbosoles fitted. Basically they are just the same neoprene sock things but with a rubber sole glued on. More flexibility in the ankle for Frogkicks. I can also still use my jetfins which rockboots would have prevented. You need turtles with rockboots. Bren uses a DUI with Rockboots and also raves about it.

Other than that its the same as any other TLS. The material is excellent, and dries very quickly. The quality is excellent and it looks cool, which is most important
(Its black of course LOL)

Kindest Regards

Andy

PS It screwed up my trim loads though, what with new undersuit and stuff. Ah well, more practice

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Must admit it sounds very, very tempting and I do like the sound of the more streamlined cut (Just wish I could say the same for my body  
).

And it's black  

so now comes the really cheeky question,   I won't ask the price (Unless you want to disclose it ?)  but I would be interested to know where you got it from ?

Birmingham dive show - November this year BTW, I might try to hunt down some stockists.

Thanks for the info so far Andy,
Daz

Bren :- Any comments on the rock boot system,  the whole idea sounds pretty neat.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

One more question if I may Andy,

Why the TLS over the CLX,  all of the info seems to point to the CLX being more rugged.  I guess the TLS is pretty rugged anyway ?

Was the cut you required not available in the CLX ?

SDS should be at the show this year and they stock DUI so I might be  paying them a visit  

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Daz

Otter suits are great and the service is exceptional.

Here's my experience with Otter..

Went to see if I could get a cheap suit off the peg, Otter have a massive stock of suits upstairs that can be bought for a song.... the only problem is you have to fit them which I didn't unfortunately... so...

I wanted a Brittanic and so tried on a few shop suits (not a song) only to find that they didn't feel right (appantley I'm a strange shape
) I then tried on a suit that resembled my old Aedura (same colour and everything ) but unlike my Aerdura I could manouvre, reach back for valves bend the legs easily the full works and so decided that I wanted a suit made in the Otter material and not the Codura  material but wanted it cut like the suit that I'd just tried on...

I was told by Brett (the guy helping me) that he thought the suit was too large, but to me it felt great and so I stuck to my guns and ordered it.... My biggest fear being that I'd sold a perfectly good Aerdura only to replace it with a suit that still wouldn't allow access to my valves, so I'd rather go large than not be able to reach the valves..

The suit was duly made and JJ (top man) rushed through the making of it to allow me to take it to the YD Anglesey trip. After picking it up and trying it on in the shop Bretts still muttering about it being too big but I'm thinking "No way this feels great" so took it off home..

As soon as I'm home I rush upstairs and sweating like a rapist climb into the undersuit and don the drysuit and then vacuum it.... to my horror standing there in the full length mirror is me wearing something that looks like my dad's cast off.... it was bloody massive

Gutted I took it to Angelsey and ended up diving with Bob Cooper at Dotty, my bouyancy was shite and I found that I was getting so much air trapped in the wrinkles of the suit that it wasn't funny and that trying to dive with good trim while trying to vent just wasn't going to happen .

After returning home I rang JJ full of woe about the suit and it's size but before I'd even finished explaining he said "No problem Dave just bring it back and I'll make you a new one" Aghast at such service I was speechless, he would of been in the right to refuse to help as I'd not taken advice and ordered what I ordered..

I went to see JJ the next Saturday and he spent ages trying suits on me to see where things fitted and things didn't he then measured me up, all the time discussing my needs and explaining his thoughts of why we should do it this way or that way... as said above.. he's a Top man!

So I decided on the Brittanic but wanted cargo pockets on both outer thighs and not one Cargo one slate on the front of the thighs as is the style of the Brittannic, no problem he did everything I asked

He then set about making me my new suit, in a......week!! How cool is that??... I told him that the next weekend I was going to Abbs and so he said right I'll have it ready for next weekend.. I could of fell through the floor.... right about now I'm wanting to kiss this bloke but thought better of it and set of home a very happy man..

The story get's better, he allows Bren (Who he doesn't know from Adam really) to pick up my suit from the shop 'Divers Warehouse' without a deposit, check, cash or anything and deliver it to my house.... so I'm now in possession of two suits with permission to dive both as much as I want.

At Abbs one of the first things I tried in the water was to try and shutdown my valves and to my horror could only reach one.... nightmare!!!!

The suit felt great and was great, I'd never felt so warm and comfy on a dive before, and the free Otter 200g undersuit undersuit kept me toasty as never before.

Everything was perfect except I couldn't reach my valves which was the driving reason to buy a new suit in the first place...

Monday I'm back on the phone... "JJ mate I can't reach my valves" bawls me into the phone... "Not a problem, dive the suit a few more times and let me know if it gets any better as the suit softens".... "If not bring it back and I'll make you a new one" It's about now I'm thinking of offering my wife for sexual services to this man who must be king of PR but again thought better of it..

Anyway... enough rambling.... I can now easily reach and shutdown my valves and I'm deliriously happy with my suit.

So Daz me ol'cock I can't recommend Otter enough, high praise indeed from a fussy barsteward like me.

Best regards
Dave

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

Price all in was £1100 ish (ouch!!) from SDS.

This was for Signature series Cave cut TLS

Bellows Pocket on left, Utility Pocket on right
Old style shoulder dump
Turbo Sole thingies
400gm Thinsulate and Booties
Old style front zip

I go to SDS. Speak to Arthur or Margaret about DUI suits

Kindest Regards

Andy

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 01 2003,19:10)]Price all in was £1100 ish (ouch!!) from SDS.
Bloody Hellfire!

I feel faint on your behalf.  

Like Dave I went to Divers Warehouse to try on their used suits and found one which was almost perfect (what with my Adonis-like body, of course....ahem).  It was a Brittanic with lots of extras (various pockets, attached hood, neoprene sleeves over the latex wrist seals etc etc).  

Basically its the dogs and I love it.

Of course, the usual advice here - try all and sundry before you buy.  But I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with the Otter.

And the price I paid for my suit (new it would have been over £700 with the extras),  £250 - bloody bargain!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Andy and as Timing say "Bloody Hell" but if you are happy with it, it is money well spent,  I'm not one to scrimp if I really want something (as the wife will attest  
)..

So a couple of options and the service on the Ottersuit sounds bloody fantastic and then some and the best bit is that Divers Warehouse and Otter watersports are also at the diveshow in November so I think I will have to start hitting the stores big style and both DUI and Otter will be getting a good going over.

Many thanks all,  will definitely be giving both suits a damn good look over.

Happy days !!

Daz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I had an Otter skin which is a Britanic without the pockets. I loved it but then the seels went and I sent it back to DW for new ones. The new ones were heavy duty car inertube units and they cut off blood supply to every foot and hand and nearley strangled me.

My advice go for the perfictly acceptable and much more comfortable light weight seals and your Otter will be a pleasure.

Mark Chase

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Aug. 01 2003,20:07)]I had an Otter skin which is a Britanic without the pockets. I loved it but then the seels went and I sent it back to DW for new ones. The new wones were heavy duty carr inatube units and they cut off blood supply to every foot and hand and nearley strangled me.

My advice go for the perfictly acceptable and much more comfortable light weight seels and your Otter will be a pleasure.

Mark Chase
I'll take that consideration on board Mark,  Did you stick the neck seal on a cylinder and empty wine bottles in the wrist overnight to stretch them a bit ?

Daz,

P.S  If anyone else wants to try this to stretch the seals and they only have full wine bottles then send them to me and I will resolve the problem for you

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Yes I tried streatching them and had to trim them in the end but the origional light weight seals were water tight and comfortable without trimming. They didnt fail so much as perrish which is why I had them replaced.

I am sure the HD ones would last longer but the comfort factor is important enough to me to go for the light weight ones.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I had just done a dive yesterday and was about to go back in for a second when one of my wrist seals went.

The neck seal was already the dodgiest looking thing in the world and i was expecting it to fail at some point when donning/doffing.

Anyway - time to get the lot done I s'pose.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Daz

I bought a brittanic at LIDS this year, had to have it MTM being a short arse with wide shoulders, service was as everyone else has mentioned top draw.

I tried an off the peg suit which was too big but the guy who served me took my measurements and said they would have to make me one, I said I had a couple more suits to try on and that I would be back later ‘Yes you will’ he said in a non-cocky but confident way.

Sure enough two hours later I was back ‘spose you’ll have to measure me again wont you’ ‘naa I remember your measurements’ and he did, 3 weeks later I was the proud owner of my new suit which is great, the only thing I have a problem with is the boots are SO FLOATY, I have weights on my fins and a set of ankle weights and they still feel like they want to head for the surface.

HTH

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Aug. 02 2003,11:11)]Hi Daz
My suit is a britanic and 6 years young now !!
Belive it or not it was an off the peg size, and they were the only ones who had a suit to fit me  

If you think it will fit you you can try it out  

wack
Cheers Wack,

I reckon I could get into it no problem,  in fact I think I could probably put my harness, wing and twins on first and then put your suit on  

Daz

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

My history with otter is somewhat dodgy but I do appear to be the only one who has had grief with them. For some reason my whole life seems to be cursed, diving and drysuits appear to follow this reasoning as well so maybe my experince with otter isnt worth mentioning as it is me at fault...either that or they just dont like me, might be my southern blood

1 - 20 of 33 Posts