YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it is in a sealed container does it actually 'go off' or is it just a case of the manufacturer having to put a date on to conform with legislation.... in other words is it still good to use?

·
Technical Dive Instructor
384 Posts
There is a huge discussion going on about this on the Inspo List.
The consensus is... people do it, people survive it, but you should not be cheap and get yourself a fresh keg of lime, as no one will give you a guarantee.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Please would someine explain to me the concept of paying thousands of pounds for life support equipment then skimping on this? Just seems a bit odd to me as a Health Professional.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Please would someine explain to me the concept of paying thousands of pounds for life support equipment then skimping on this? Just seems a bit odd to me as a Health Professional.
If you've shelled out thousands of pounds chances are your broke. So saving the pennies becomes important.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't asking for a form of penny pinching but for the science behind it, a material that diminishes through absorption if in a sealed container, i.e. not absorbing, should be good.

As a health professional you may come into contact with all sorts of items with expiry dates such as the six year use by date on irradiated sterile products, sterile products hermetically sealed.... how do they become unsterilised in this sealed environment? Answer is, really they don't but the manufacturer is obliged to give a date and six years is the industry standard.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Probably, but at the end of the day it's your life :D is it worth £70
Oh get real. The chemistry is far too simple to go off.

If anybody has some scary expired stuff please send it to me.
I've dived half used fills that were months old too.

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
Oh get real. The chemistry is far too simple to go off.

If anybody has some scary expired stuff please send it to me.
I've dived half used fills that were months old too.
Good for you, glad your happy. Personally I don't have the experiance of diving seriously out of date lime to make a favourable judgement call on it - so ill stick to my in date stuff :) my 2p

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
If you can get your hands on a container of lime thats well out of date tip some into a dish then compair it with lime thats in date in another dish!

You will notice the old lime is very chalky, dry and very powdery the new lime will be moist and darker in appearance? fresh and safe to use, the granuals lock closer together when moist forming a tighter scrubber stopping a breakthrough or channeling

is it really worth taking a chance

·
give me convenience
2,436 Posts
If you can get your hands on a container of lime thats well out of date tip some into a dish then compair it with lime thats in date in another dish!

You will notice the old lime is very chalky, dry and very powdery the new lime will be moist and darker in appearance? fresh and safe to use, the granuals lock closer together when moist forming a tighter scrubber stopping a breakthrough or channeling

is it really worth taking a chance
And how does that happen then?

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
I know nothing of rebreathers, but I would think that the sofnolime is technically an unstable material that 'wants' to be something else (ie it is looking for co2 to combine with) This means it could react over time with anything - the packaging even??? Also, as Glostech says the structure of it is important to ensure it scrubs efficiently. I wouldn't take a chance - but (as the fast show) - "what do I know??"

1 - 20 of 79 Posts