YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have been diving today, got up at 5:30 as I needed to do a scrubber fill, drove down to the South Coast and started putting my kit on the boat. After a chat with some of the other guys it was clear the boat was going to be full, in fact, the organiser had managed to arrange for 13 divers on a 12 diver licenced boat, obviously a problem.

In the end I decided I didn't want to be on this trip and unloaded, I go diving to enjoy myself, spending the whole day trying to find some space on a single hulled boat with a dozen divers, 9 X CCR, 3 X Twinsets, c. 18 stages/bailouts is just ridiculous. I realise the MCA have to allocate licences against the size of the boat but perhaps there should be a different scale for recreational dives vs deeper dives requiring additional kit.

I have dived off the boat in question before, it has an excellent skipper hence why I'm being vague, I just question the suitability of such a boat to a large team of divers with multiple cylinders, crates etc. In the future I think I'll be sticking to twin hulled boats, anyone organising trips with 8 or 10 divers max please let me know.

Ian

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
12 (13 is often 12 + crew) can work if people work together, get a few kited up & off the boat, making space for others. However, if everyone acts as individuals...

... and do folks really need those Ali 80 bailout stages ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
For the best dive boat ever, see the old swashbuckling thread, just me and keef on a 10 person boat, ok porg was there too but only in a 'deckbitch' role, 4 cylinders in total, sweet as.

You probably didn't want to hear that though eh..........

I know what you mean about overcrowded boats though, sometimes it all seems a bit fraught and that's only with the correct number or slightly less divers on board!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I find when everyone works together and thinks about it befor dumping their gear it's normally not a problem. That said, I think there's a sensible limit for most boats of 10 divers once you've got 2 stages or 2 bailout tins each. That's most of my diving, and yet I still end up on boats with 12 divers on them.

At the moment it seems there's spaces all over the place on boats at £40 a day, if that was £45 to make up for less divers then I can see there being even more spaces. Fuel prices are apparently why prices go up, personally I'd rather see a massive boat with 20 divers on it at £30 a day than a tiny thing with 12 on it for £40.

But then if you want to organise trips with 10 and do some decent dives then I'll be there. Just give me the nod. :)

Digs.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
8-10 divers on a boat is a luxury I am willing to pay for on deep dives. The extra £20 is worth it for the comfort and space to kit up in a relaxed frame of mind and mentally prepare your self for the dive.

On normal dives its not essential and i don't mind the clutter of divers when i am kitting up but I feel embarrassed that they might think I always need this much help when I am kitting up.

On a deep Delta gig i need zero assistance and i chill out before the dive. On a 12 divers on a small boat gig I need loads and i chill out at the bottom of the shot :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
There's only four of us at the moment on Steve boat for my Leopoldville gig next year and l'm limiting that to ten.
It's a good job with the amount of space you take up ;) will you be taking your deck chair? :)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
On a deep Delta gig i need zero assistance and i chill out before the dive. On a 12 divers on a small boat gig I need loads and i chill out at the bottom of the shot :D

ATB

Mark Chase
FFS the last time we dived out of Brighton on the Mol you had a bench to yourself and i still spent 10 min sorting you out, remember ;) tieing your Unit up with 3 bungees means untieing 3 bungees, not one ;) :)

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
Fuel prices are apparently why prices go up, personally I'd rather see a massive boat with 20 divers on it at £30 a day than a tiny thing with 12 on it for £40.

Digs.
What is the limit for divers on a boat? I'd always though it was 12 irrespective of the boats size?:frown:

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
What is the limit for divers on a boat? I'd always though it was 12 irrespective of the boats size?:frown:

Many have crew spaces, and they can be divers with a task to do on site like tieing the shot in if you anchor into the wreck and releasing it at the end.

I am crew tomorrow :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
boat space

we have trouble filling spaces on our boat at weekends, we often go out with 5 or 6 its a privatly owned 106 with lift .
worth pming me to add you to our e mail list if you like diving from weymouth

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
FFS the last time we dived out of Brighton on the Mol you had a bench to yourself and i still spent 10 min sorting you out, remember ;) tieing your Unit up with 3 bungees means untieing 3 bungees, not one ;) :)
OK fair point ill shut up now :embarassed:

ATB

Mary formaly known as Mark

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
John, have a read of this http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...-diaries-couple-good-wrecks-few-cock-ups.html

Janos had a 7 ltr and it obviously wasn't enough. If he had a CO2 breakthough his breathing rate would've been much higher. l bet he'd have felt hapier with an larger cylinder of 50%
Mr Dude, you are talking sense based on real life experiences. We all know this is not how the alpinist thinks. Nor is it how someone who doesn't plan on having enough gas thinks. EDIT - Sorry, editied because that might look like a dig at Janos, and it wasn't. I'm absolutely certain he didn't plan not to carry enough gas, it sounds like they had a system designed to deal with it. It's more a dig at people who haven't got enough gas to even send up a yellow bag and get gas, now that's just bonkers.

Personally, I'll keep diving my AL80s. I've seen bits fall off rebreathers before, and I've seen electronics go from hero to zero with no-one even going near them. It would be nice if they could make AL80s that were neutral at 232 bar, and rated for it, but they'd be massive and you'd have to carry a load of lead in case you used them :)

Digs.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
John, have a read of this http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...-diaries-couple-good-wrecks-few-cock-ups.html

Janos had a 7 ltr and it obviously wasn't enough. If he had a CO2 breakthough his breathing rate would've been much higher. l bet he'd have felt hapier with an larger cylinder of 50%
Yes I have. He had access to buddies gas & a drop tank set. Carrying all the gas yourself isn't allways the smartest method & in some cases it wouldn't be physically possible. Anyone for side slung 18L twin sets?

Now what was it that John Bantin said.....

JT

1 - 20 of 36 Posts