YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been reading books such as Deep Descent and The Last Dive, and it talks of divers doing 70m+ dives on air. According to modern CNS tables, this should be extremely damgerous. However, it appears that extremely few people (who are mentioned anyway) died from toxing. If you have regular exposures to high PPO2s, does your body build a tolerance to it, like some drugs, or does it put you at more risk for later dives? When I say regularly, I don't mean 3 dives a day of 1.8 bar PPO2, but, for example, diving 2-3 times a week, 1-2 dives each time, with a high PPO2. Would you become more tolerant of it, or would it mean you are more prone to toxing later on?

Cheers in advance :)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
That's just plain bone idle:(

Use the search function, there was a thread on this started just 2 days ago by GLOC.

Edited to add - it's not exactly what you are after, but there in info on this forum about such things

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Another one.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
It doesn't work that way.
On a good day you can take a lot of O2 but on a bad day you can't.
If we knew what defined the difference we could probably use it.
So, as we don't, we try to stay well away from the bad day numbers.

If you put the wrong reg in your mouth and take a breath change it when you realise there is a problem but panicking is reasoned to make a 'tox more likely so just assume it's a good day.

Back when I did my first nitrox course going over 2bar was considered bad, 1.6 was OK and maybe reduce that a bit if you were working hard. These days people suck their teeth at 1.3 but I have long since noticed that I don't read about diver's 'toxing left right and centre unless they were way over. There are a few that, sadly, must have been on a bad day but they are very very few.

Reactions: James-S

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
why don't you experiment and try and find something out that way rather than asking question after question? Get yourself down to your nearest pot and ask them if you can go and play in it, you may need to provide your own goats to join you though, famershort could probably help out with a few if yuo ask him nicely. might not want to tell him what they're for though.

you've gotta be pushnig an average 10+ posts per day, that's a lot for one day, nevermind EVERY day... still no girlfriend then? ;)

Have you not got exams at school to be revising for? save all this dive stuff until after that lot dude.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
why don't you experiment and try and find something out that way rather than asking question after question? Get yourself down to your nearest pot and ask them if you can go and play in it, you may need to provide your own goats to join you though, famershort could probably help out with a few if yuo ask him nicely. might not want to tell him what they're for though.

you've gotta be pushnig an average 10+ posts per day, that's a lot for one day, nevermind EVERY day... still no girlfriend then? ;)

Have you not got exams at school to be revising for? save all this dive stuff until after that lot dude.
I reckon he'll be in the market for a Mr Bean mini soon ;)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Fucking hell. Give the guy a break. Answer his question, help him to find the answer, or ignore it.

Quite obviously most of you lot don't actually know the answer, and why deep air dives don't have the same history of toxing as using other gases. If you did, perhaps you'd explain it. If you don't, well you can be the ignorant ones who don't ask questions for fear of looking a bit silly.

Digs.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I have recently been reading books such as Deep Descent and The Last Dive, and it talks of divers doing 70m+ dives on air. According to modern CNS tables, this should be extremely damgerous. However, it appears that extremely few people (who are mentioned anyway) died from toxing. If you have regular exposures to high PPO2s, does your body build a tolerance to it, like some drugs, or does it put you at more risk for later dives? When I say regularly, I don't mean 3 dives a day of 1.8 bar PPO2, but, for example, diving 2-3 times a week, 1-2 dives each time, with a high PPO2. Would you become more tolerant of it, or would it mean you are more prone to toxing later on?

Cheers in advance :)
But you forget the Rouses were a right pair of tossers. If they were on a boat with me, I'd poleaxe them with a boat hook to get them to shut up. And they were too tight to buy mix, and died cos they thought lining off was for pussies and that real men "learn the wreck". Shame they turned the wrong way to make the bottom of the shot and their 70% stage cyls they had left there.

Anyway. There were some studies done on O2 toxicity and they found a massive variance in hits between different people, and between the same person on different days with no obvious factors. One day they would be happy at 2.4, next day twitching at 2. Some graphs were drawn, some teeth were sucked, and they came up with a "safe" limit of 1.4 where the incidents of toxicity were "very rare", rising to "quite rare" at 1.6 and at 1.8 and above, rose to unacceptable levels. So the Sports Diving industry settled on 1.4 as a workable max with 1.6 if you're sitting doing nowt on deco.

As the effects of an O2 hit underwater are somewhat unpleasant, avoidance of toxicity is generally considered A Good Thing.

You will hear of various rufty-tufty divers proclaiming, while wearing an old drysuit mended with gaffer tape and pritt stick, that they've bounced to 90m on a single 12 of air. They are, without exception, [email protected] And that's a rude word.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
Fucking hell. Give the guy a break. Answer his question, help him to find the answer, or ignore it.

Quite obviously most of you lot don't actually know the answer, and why deep air dives don't have the same history of toxing as using other gases. If you did, perhaps you'd explain it. If you don't, well you can be the ignorant ones who don't ask questions for fear of looking a bit silly.

Digs.
Nigel gave him a pretty good answer. I was ribbing him in a manner I believe he can take, I like to think that James and I have reached a level....

I think everyone else is just lightly ribbing him really.... maybe with the exception of sean, but it wouldn't be YD if everyone didn't have at least one enemy :)

I didn't see you leaping to my defence again a certain other yd member recently...

All I'm saying is that I reckon James has been roundly accepted for what he is - an inquisitive young chap. one or two people might feel stronger than that, but James wont be the first to incite those feelings.... I don't reckon it'll put him off YD or asking questions.

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts

Digs.
and that answers his question? :D I was hoping that if I mention going down a pot to experiment, light heartidly, it might provoke his mind and he'd come up with the idea himself to go actually down and see the guys working there. I think they'd be great people to speak to and he'd probably learn a lot, if they've got some time to spare for him.

I once asked about deploying smb's on the internet and got a right old flaming for it 'cos I was a newly qualified AOW diver and shouldn't be asking such questions on the internet that could get me killed.

I'm all for asking questions, but I'm happy to know that there I some things I don't need to worry myself knowing about, and focus on learning the things I need to worry about. I also like to try and work stuff out for myself from time to time, there's a lot of satisfaction to be had form that I'm sure you'll agree. You know, when you have those ureekakakakaaaaa moments.

At the moment I'm trying to work out if I can get something to use a scuba tank (a-clamp or DIN, not fussy) to power air tools from those odd stubborn bolts on the car. Machine Mart thoguht I was a bit mental when I called them to try and find out :(

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
At the moment I'm trying to work out if I can get something to use a scuba tank (a-clamp or DIN, not fussy) to power air tools from those odd stubborn bolts on the car. Machine Mart thoguht I was a bit mental when I called them to try and find out :(
Get an old first stage, pop an OPV into one LP port and an SAP adapter in the other to turn it into a 1/8" BSP female fitting. Then you can screw in any old hose fitting and power your air tools.

We have an old Conshelf first stage that we use for this which is great as it has an easily adjustable IP. We used it to fix Rod to the roof of the coach in Stoney. Next time you're in there, go and say hello. He's a 2 ft steel statue.

I had some strange looks from people as I sprayed a greenhouse with wood preservative on my old allotment using a cylinder and backpack and a spray gun from work.

·
Tonton Flaneur
649 Posts
Sean
Just about everything has been asked on here at some point and pretty much every question can be answered by using google, libraries or other forums. It's the answers that are interesting. There have been loads of threads that have started with questions which could have been answered by "Google it" but instead lead on to some interesting stuff. If you can't answer a question in an interesting way then ignore it. I notice you don't answer all easily googled questions with hostility so If you've got a personal problem with someone sort it out somewhere else or better yet ignore them.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
didn't mean anything bad by it mate... just that you appear to have run out of patience with james... nothing wrong with that... perfectly understandable...

different people, different ideas, blah blah blah...

no hard feelings chap.
None here either;)
Up to a point, James will usually ask a decent question. But, what generally seems to happen, whatever the question, is that something pops into his head, and rather than take the time and trouble to look into it, he asks YD, thus circumventing much of the learning process.

IMO If you purposefully seek something out, and research it yourself, you will have much better understanding and rememberance of it, than if you just ask and get told.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
IMO If you purposefully seek something out, and research it yourself, you will have much better understanding and rememberance of it, than if you just ask and get told.[/QUOTE]

Well said, I would ask some questions my self for fear of feeling stupid i don`t. James has no fear.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts