YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

You know that Billy Connelly sketch where he's talking about being scared of sharks and "throwing small children behind me", I don't think this guy realised that was meant ot be a joke  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
18/03/2004 Beyond a Joke  
Man threw schoolgirl to feeding sharks 'for a joke'

Source: Shark-L

Northern Territory News
A man has admitted throwing a 12-year-old girl into water where sharks were feeding as a joke.

Craig Rattigan picked her up and threw her over a safety chain as she catapulted bait to the sharks in Australia.

Nhulunbuy Magistrates' Court heard she escaped injury and was eventually rescued by her mother.

Rattigan, 41, has been sentenced to 120 hours community service after apologising to his victim.

The Northern Territory News reports he blamed his bizarre behaviour on the fact he had spent the day drinking beer and smoking cannabis.

Magistrate, David Loadman, told him: "I just don't understand how you could put a child in the water among feeding sharks.

"There was probably no chance of her being ripped to shreds, but she could have suffered extensive superficial injuries, and would have been frightened out of her wits."

The girl was in a swimsuit throwing bait to the black-tipped reef sharks, which measure between 30 and 60cms, when Rattigan crept up behind her.

Defence lawyer, Helen Spowart, said: "He had been drinking beer all day and impulsively thought it was going to be funny to throw the girl in the water. He has realised since it was not funny and is deeply sorry."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Imported post

I know what I'd have done if he had done that to my daughter! The sentence would have been a little longer than 200hrs too, w*nker!
Poor kid will be traumatised for life!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Duiker @ Mar. 18 2004,19:25)]I know what I'd have done if he had done that to my daughter!
Exactly! looks like the girl's father probably wasn't around though otherwise he'd probably be up for GBH

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Maybe he thought she was his little chum?

Sorry, bad joke I know, already got my coat on...

(PS before anyone gets the wrong idea I obviously think it was a bloody awful thing to do)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

What a twat! Boozing and smoking dope, near water, should have got you (under Maritime Law) at least 120 hours CS anyway! Let alone hoiking a wee lass over the side 'for a giggle'! The guy should be handed over to those on the harbourside 'for a dicussion' about his actions. Maybe, just maybe, he may never have drank/smoked again whilst afloat/near water or chucked a wee'un overboard.

Twat.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

this man sounds just the person u want to be near water  with!!!!!! NOT  
throwing a child in the water? what was the plank thinking about??? and as for a joke! obviously NOT  
as for his punishment 120 lashes from a cat o nine tails now that would have been fun and a giggle  

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.