YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am doing resarch on my Uncle that went MIA in WWII. If you have been to the wreck site I would like to hear from you.

I will spare you the personal details of my Uncle’s life, but here our some relevant facts of the event as I have been able to piece together in the last year. Lt. Benjamin Brew was based out of Atcham, Shropshire, near Shrewsbury, UK. He was an instructor pilot with the US Army 495th Fighter Training Group and was practicing dog fighting over the Irish Sea with some others from his base. They where heading back to base and he was doing a victory roll when the plane stalled and went down on July 23, 1944. He was too low to bail out. His flight did a search of the area and could not locate him.

I have attached an image file of a similar P-47C that ironically is one serial digit off from my Uncles plane. If you notice the markings on the tail and fuselage contains the Serial number and Fighter Squadron information. The serial number on the tail of Ben’s plane is 16234. The 552nd Fighter Training Squadron designation is DQ which would appear on the fuselage like in the attached photo. I do not know the other letter as it is plane specific and the information I have seen does not list that information.

The links below are two of the sites I found that provided me the most information on where he was stationed and where he went down. I do see a possible contradiction with the location being listed on one site as the English Channel as we knew from letters that it was the Irish Sea. Was a portion of the area of water around Nefyn locally refereed to as the English Channel? This could be poor geographical knowledge of the Americans filling out the paperwork at the time.
440723 BREW, BENJAMIN A P-47C 41-6234 NEVIN 1 MILE OFF SHORE, UK 495 STALL
Accident Reports.com - USAAF Aircraft Accidents in the United Kingdom and Ireland

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1941_1.html
6234 (495th FTG, 552nd FTS) ditched 1 mi offshore in English Channel Jul 23, 1944. Condemned due to damage Jul 24, 1944
Thanks,

David von Rinteln

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accident report

I have all 3 pilots reports that were flying with Ben when he went in.
This one has the most details of the location. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P-38 on the beach

Thanks for the information. The P-38 is a rare bird these days. Someone will clean it up and fly it, or hang it in a museum. It will be worth the work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
David --

I just happen to come across your thread about your uncle, Benjamin A. Brew. I realize it's been 7 years -- but I do have some interesting information about him -- specifically a WW2 watch on which his name is engraved (along with 5 other pilots from his Class 44-A training at Luke Field, AZ . Please email me at:

[email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts