YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a p-valve for my drysuit on the weekend. I'm pretty sure I can fit it without a great deal of hassle but I was wondering on the best location for the valve on the leg? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers/Nic

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I bought a p-valve for my drysuit on the weekend. I'm pretty sure I can fit it without a great deal of hassle but I was wondering on the best location for the valve on the leg? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers/Nic
somewhere between the knee and the ankle :D

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

Cheers/Nic
  1. away from any seams - including the plastic backing plate.
  2. not too far on the inside of your leg - it will rub if you flutter kick (though shouldn't be too much of an issue ;) )
  3. not too far on the front of the leg - so it bangs/snags on stages - prior to getting in/out - so at an angle of about 45 degrees - if that makes sense.
  4. low enough that you can reach without too much stooping in the water - fitting mine again - I would rather have fitted mine lower and stoop more - see point 6.
  5. low enough that it is comfortable to wear - i.e. the tubing doesn't push 'little Nic' too far out of the way - possibly kinking the sheath
  6. think about the balanced valve location too(on the inside of your suit). Where will it be in relation to your leg, groin, suit seams
  7. if you are going through two layers of suit - remember to seal in between the laters as well!
hth..

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I hunted for a picture but mine is about 6 inches down from the crotch and three inches forward of the seam, round towards the front. The object is to ensure that the plumbing doesn't bunch up and kink. Remember the pipework needs to feed out of your undersuit so your personal bits stay nice and warm inside.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
The length of your thingy is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to fitting a p-valve. It's all squidged around anyway and the valve has a couple of feet of hose on it so a few inches don't make much difference.

IMHO, the reason for choosing the place of the p-valve should be:

1) Not on the inside of your leg otherwise it will rub when you walk.
2) Not on the front of your leg otherwise you'll keep knocking it
3) Somewhere that's easy to reach with your arm.

Therefore mine is in the "10 o'clock" [1] position if you were to take a section of my right leg - ie on the inside but not too much on the inside.

Heightwise it's about midway between my kneecap and the crotch of my trousers.

Janos

[1] - yes there is an el in there.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
The white spot is where mine is, suit marked with the DUI standard (2" across and 6" down) position of the pee valve.

HTH
Mal

Wow I didn't realise that there wss a 'Standard' even for Pee Valve placement. Is this so your buddy can aid in your toilet needs if your hands are not free when you need to go? Whats the GUE sign for I need to pee, can you undo my nut please?

Dave C

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
The white spot is where mine is, suit marked with the DUI standard (2" across and 6" down) position of the pee valve.

HTH
Mal
but I put mine on the inside Mal :)

David

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
but I put mine on the inside Mal :)

David
He must have used one of tose waterproof glands to feed the pipe through the leg of the suit....!

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Wow I didn't realise that there wss a 'Standard' even for Pee Valve placement. Is this so your buddy can aid in your toilet needs if your hands are not free when you need to go? Whats the GUE sign for I need to pee, can you undo my nut please?

Dave C
no, it' s becuase the hose on them always bends to the left as it comes out of the valve, so they naturally bend towards the middle of your body if you have them in the left leg. Check out the images above and yu will see what I mean.

Actually, I just made that up. Mine's on my right leg. It's my little bit of rebellion.

·
YBOD and loving it
110 Posts
I have been having a similar dilema with the placement for my valve, so this thread has been pretty useful. I won't be drawn into this bravado nonsense though. I'm just going to settle for placing it on my calf.

Having never intentionally cut a hole in my drysuit though, can anyone offer advice on what tool I should use to punch/cut the correct diameter hole in an O'3 ri 2/100 neoprene suit?

Cheers, Paul

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I have been having a similar dilema with the placement for my valve, so this thread has been pretty useful. I won't be drawn into this bravado nonsense though. I'm just going to settle for placing it on my calf.

Having never intentionally cut a hole in my drysuit though, can anyone offer advice on what tool I should use to punch/cut the correct diameter hole in an O'3 ri 2/100 neoprene suit?

Cheers, Paul
Some people use a die, backing plate and a bloody big hammer to cut a perfect round hole in a membrane suit. That might work..

I marked up the circle I wanted to cut and then used a soldering iron - and a very steady hand.

these are the two most popular routes people take..

edit: damn - must type quicker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts