YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

P-valve question - How do I put this..?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

When you put the condom catheter on, it can be done in one of two 'states'. I've heard conflicting reports of which one is best - better fit one way, better seal the other way, etc.

Based on your experience, what's the best state to put it on..?

I don't think I can get this one any more tactful..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Well, lets try to be abstract about this, when you're in the cold water, what is the most likely "state"  your catheter inhabitant going to assume ...
And if you ain't got a good seal on it then what's the point of spending 70+ quid on this device

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I think proponents of both methods agree that it'll be in the 'down' state during the dive - but nevertheless people have said that if you put it on in the 'up', it seals better...
Given that they're a couple of quid a throw, I don't want to do more testing of my own than I have to

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Tried superglue Dom?

Seriously get the right size - the ones I've seen are either small, medium, large or liar.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

No - I would like to be able to remove it after the dive without calling into the A&E

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

God only knows what this poll is going to do to your spares kit..

Lets see.

'O' rings - Check
spare mask strap - Check
Assorted tools - check
length of bungee - check
tie wraps - check
top shelf magazine - check  

So if I see anyone wandering off to the changing rooms with a jazz mag tucked at a jaunty angle under their arm at least I will know what method they use.  

Daz

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 21 2003,11:46)]they're a couple of quid a throw,
Not so much a throw as a toss, by the sound of it...  

Tom

(yes, sorry, I'll get me coat...)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

Don`t forget the razor, as these things are extremely adesive its a good idea to shave them curly things off first. My eyes are still watering from my first atempt!! and second!!
As for putting the thing on limp!! well there must be an art to this, I can`t do it, it just sticks to everything and anything-ouch!
The easiest way for me is to go for the liar size (honest) click play on the Jordan vid, wait a few seconds, roll on and seal with elasterplast in case of back fire. Its a good idea to lock the front door before doing this!! if in the field the Sunday Sport is a good option, if folded the right way it can resemble a newspaper and ease embarrassment.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don`t forget the razor, as these things are extremely adesive its a good idea to shave them curly things off first. My eyes are still watering from my first atempt!! and second!!
Apparently an alternative for this is a small sheet of some stretchy fabric with a small hole in - it scrapes the hairs out of the way.

I'll leave the fine details to your imagination..

Why do P-valve threads always degenerate so fast?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Can you attach the "device" before you leave your house, thus saving embarrassment on the boat? Or does it have to be done with your suit half on? Just the thought of messing around with my tackle in one hand, a tube of superglue in the other, on a rocking boat doesn't really appeal.

In fact, hows about a 'photo demonstration Dom?

Peter

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dom,

First you suggest getting metal studded attatchments for your tanks ("Failure Points") and now this.

Is it "Dominic" or "Dominatrix"?

I think I'll get our Obscene Publications Unit to take a look at that web site of yours!

(PS - definitely UP, though with the nerves wrecked in my back, in my case, it barely makes a difference!)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Oct. 21 2003,19:51)]Can you attach the "device" before you leave your house, thus saving embarrassment on the boat? Or does it have to be done with your suit half on? Just the thought of messing around with my tackle in one hand, a tube of superglue in the other, on a rocking boat doesn't really appeal.

In fact, hows about a 'photo demonstration Dom?

Peter
Aparently, that's one of the supposed benfits of the OThree system, the "housing" is seperate so can be attached in privacy then a snap connector to the hose part and bob's your aunties live-in lover  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that's one of the supposed benfits of the OThree system
I confess, I covet that easy-connect system (I use the Diver's Warehouse valve)

But I rated a balanced valve over an easy-connect system..

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

AHA!

After a search on a different forum, I came across something that looks very promising:
A couple of quids worth of parts that allow you to convert your P-valve to have a quick-disconnect setting.
I shall have to check on hose diameter etc, but if you go to MacMaster-Carr and order the relevant parts, you have yourself a QD setup!
w00t!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 23 2003,16:39)]I shall have to check on hose diameter etc,
You might of at least kept that to yourself!!!

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi All

As someone who uses a pee valve and preferes it too be up, when the cathater is put on, it does not help when you are down below with the whole boat stomping on the deck shouting

"we know what your doing".

My advice is to do it somewhere private away from divers, male or female, cause the female divers take the piss more than the men. Like on shore before you get on the boat.

By the way my size is liar.

Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

boys forget your p-valves and get yourselfs down to the old folks home and get some adult nappies they work a treat,before dive while donning undersuit slip one on,no fiddling around with hardons,finish your dive whip it off straight in the bin,or those of you with young kids take some nappy bags,happy days.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

boys, cant you just hold it in your bladder like girls do???

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Jules...I was waiting for a comment from a bird.

My question is.."Why do women want to stop for a wazz on a long journey when you've forewarned them that it's going to be a long journey but 2 hours in to the drive they want to stop?"

Just wondering?

Graham

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Oct. 21 2003,11:50)]Seriously get the right size - the ones I've seen are either small, medium, large or liar.
I've seen the new 'John Holmes' specials; the benefit being the double as a dry-bag!  

1 - 20 of 38 Posts