YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a BSAC OWI and am looking to do my PADI instructor. Was thinking of just doing the AI part of the course for now to get me into the PADI way of instructing.

Anyone got any info on whats involved in the course, hints and tips etc.

Would be much appreciated

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
Hi the PADI AI course is easy its a 3 day course and the exam is only on the standards which is a open book.
If you only want it to see how PADI teach this is the easy one.
Hope this helps

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
I've just done the same, BS-AC OWI to PADI OWSI - I did a full IDC (AI+OWSI), then the IE, although I have been around a PADI centre for a few months.

Be prepared for the cost. ;)

The in-water stuff is very similar apart from the addition of a couple of bits, but the method of theory teaching is very different.

I enjoyed it, hints and tips - listen to what your Course Director tells you, they know what's involved in the exam and will be able to tell you when you're ready for it.

r
P

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
It's both easy and hard work if that's not too much of a contradiction. I found crossing over to PADI a challenge after 7 years of BSAC. The teaching is very formulaic and you get points in the exam for mentioning selling stuff, promoting courses and following a "script".

Some of the skills are a bit different from BSAC in their teaching presentation methods so it would be good to practice the 20 basic skills with a PADI person before doing the crossover so that you are sure you are doing them to "presentation standard".

Although the IE has a standards exam which is "open book, it is timed and you have to know your way around your instructor manual - however, you are allowed to "tab it" with post-its and you can make notes in it so that helps. The other written exams are really easy and only have 10 questions per subject.

You will also have to know how to use a PADI wheel and table which are different from BSAC tables and take a little while to learn, if you get these before-hand you can work through the exercises step by step in the booklets that come with them and then you will pass the exam.

Doing it all in 5 days, without being famliar with PADI systems would, in my humble opinion, be rather tough. But it can be done.

Finally, the Diver Knoweldge workbook is a good tool to prepare you. If you can answer all the questions in that, you will pass the theory.

Bear in mind, I'm a bit of a girly and you might find it a piece of cake!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts