YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that PADI are part of the joint boathandling group with BSAC, SAA and SSAC.

Can someone pencil in some details about this course. From a teaching point of view. What are the pre requistes etc.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
AFAIK, the most appropriate boathandling course int he UK would be the RYA one. At least, that's the one i did on suggestion from a PADI CD.

Details of the course can be found here.

When I did mine, I did it with Fathom & Blues in Portland.

·
1,171 Posts
You don't have to be a BSAC member to do the BSAC CDA (Combined Diving Associations) Boathandling Course.

It goes a little further than the RYA Powerboat Course (Level2) in that it introduces "Diving Operations"; ie Finding and Shotting the site, Deploying and retrieving Divers, Cover support for divers.

I would suggest that as long as you get a good BSAC Instructor then this course is 'the best suited' to diver support small boat handling in the UK!

Regards,

David.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
AFAIK, the most appropriate boathandling course int he UK would be the RYA one. At least, that's the one i did on suggestion from a PADI CD.

Details of the course can be found here.

When I did mine, I did it with Fathom & Blues in Portland.
The RYA powerboat level II is a good course but has no specific diver related elements. The new joint diving group has the extra diver stuff in it which is very usefull. Both will allow you to qualify for the ICC so you can use boats in europe (if thats your thing).

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Correct. The BSAC boat handling is not an assessed course therefore wont get you an ICC. The Diver Cox'n "course" is actually the exam for boat handling and therefore is assessed.

I did RYA II initially and want to do diver cox'n assessment but its rarely run so chances are i wont bother as it doesnt actually have any effect on my diving or handling a boat.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't have to be a BSAC member to do the BSAC CDA (Combined Diving Associations) Boathandling Course.

It goes a little further than the RYA Powerboat Course (Level2) in that it introduces "Diving Operations"; ie Finding and Shotting the site, Deploying and retrieving Divers, Cover support for divers.

I would suggest that as long as you get a good BSAC Instructor then this course is 'the best suited' to diver support small boat handling in the UK!

Regards,

David.
I am more interested in the RYA/PADI aspects of the course. I am already a BSAC BHI but that counts to absolutly nowt if you want to be a RYA Powerboat instructor. I am intrested in the difference between pure RYA and RYA /PADI.

I am guessing that PADI have some agreement with RYA, whereas BSAC dont. When I called RYA they didnt even know what BSAC was. i.e. Business what????

I am guessing here that PADI schools are basically RYA training establishments too.

Thanks

Gary

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
Correct. The BSAC boat handling is not an assessed course therefore wont get you an ICC. The Diver Cox'n "course" is actually the exam for boat handling and therefore is assessed.

I did RYA II initially and want to do diver cox'n assessment but its rarely run so chances are i wont bother as it doesnt actually have any effect on my diving or handling a boat.

The RYA Level 2 gives you the ICC through the RYA and also you can get the commericial endorsement if you have the sea survival ticket and a medical.

Thanks

·
400 Posts
I am more interested in the RYA/PADI aspects of the course. I am already a BSAC BHI but that counts to absolutly nowt if you want to be a RYA Powerboat instructor. I am intrested in the difference between pure RYA and RYA /PADI.

I am guessing that PADI have some agreement with RYA, whereas BSAC dont. When I called RYA they didnt even know what BSAC was. i.e. Business what????

I am guessing here that PADI schools are basically RYA training establishments too.

Thanks

Gary
Having the CDA (BSAC/PADI/SAA/MCA) boat handling course wont help in becoming an RYA instructor. If I recall the presentation at the BSAC DOC a couple of years ago, the RYA were approached to become involved in the CDA group but refused, seeing the course as a direct competition for their own Powerboat courses.

The PADI/RYA schools you speak of probably use independent instructors to teach both courses but technically the RYA have no direct connection to the PADI CDA course. Due to the similar syllabus of the two courses, you may be able to pay two registration fees and effectively combine them and gain two qualifications.

·
400 Posts

·
400 Posts
When I got my RYA level II the ICC application was attached to the cert. It was stamped by the school and instructor and all I had to do was sign it and sent it along with the approprite fee to the RYA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being a bit of a numpty, a forgetful soul AND too lazy to google it.

In 1994 I did my RYA lvl 2 Powerboat course.
I was then a member of BSAC, so I got dual accreditation as well
I also got the PADI Distinctive specialty.
I did a sea survival course when I was working on the ships

None of which actually matters ...

Then I became an RYA powerboat lvl 2 instructor
Got the Distinctive Specialty instructor rating from PADI

All of which is probably superfluous as well

So, the question(s) is(are) ...

What is the ICC accreditation ... and do I have it?

·
Scuba Tech Philippines
172 Posts
I am intrested in the difference between pure RYA and RYA /PADI.....I am guessing that PADI have some agreement with RYA, whereas BSAC dont.
As a PADI instructor, I've never heard of a PADI boathandling course. If it is a distinctive speciality, then it would have been written by an individual instructor and then approved by PADI. It would be easy to do, as basically you'd just copy the details of the RYA course and put a PADI slant on it.

The main difference is that the RYA would be internationally recognised (and lead to the ICC) and the PADI wouldn't.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
As a PADI instructor, I've never heard of a PADI boathandling course. ..
That's 'cos there aint one Andy :D

As you say probably a distinctive run by a suitably qualified RYA BHI and PADI instructor.

RYA Powerboat 2 - automatic ICC
BSAC Boat course plus assessment - ICC

ICC - only entitles you to operate a UK vessel in non UK waters, not worth much really. Try renting a boat in most countries and it don't work.

Chris

·
Registered
89 Posts
I

Thanks

Gary
PADI, BSAC & SAA have all signed up to the CDA (Combined Diving Association) Boat Handling course, this is the same as RYA lavel II with a few diving relatede add on's. Some RYA TC'sa are also BSAC seamanship centres and us the same instructors for both courses (us included). the BSAC (CDA) diver coxain assesment is the only CDA course that leads to the ICC were as the RYA 2 leads to it.
I hope this helps

·
Back to reality, and it's scary.
406 Posts
Steve Axtell can teach the PADI one he is on here as SAS Steve
Thanks
James
Hi
I wrote my PADI Dive boat handler course many years ago, It is sanctioned by PADI as a distinctive specialty.
I teach it in conjunction with the RYA level 2 powerboat course and then add in the Diving bits over 2 to 3 days depending on previous experience. I also assess for the ICC and fill out the required application.
I can also teach it as an Instructor specialty if the Instructor holds the RYA instructor cert. any interest PM me.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts