YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Ok,

How do you guys go about logging dives if you're trained in more than one agency.

Having recently joined a BSAC club I need to prove progression in depth and a range of diving environments in order to gain qualification to Sport Diver and there after -my previous dives as a PADI diver don't count.

Given that many of my prospetive buddies will be trained by one agency or another I would intend to use the Tables and also, and consequently agency logbook, that they use.  This means maintaining two logs.

What about once I've completed the TDI Nitrox course - are there any 'logged proof of dives' issue here.

Am I just being daft here - should I just switch over completely to the BSAC system.  What do you do?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my previous dives as a PADI diver don't count
<span =''>

Yes they do. All your previous qualifications and experience count. That's the whole point.

Email BSAC HQ and ask them for a clarification of the issue - and then give your new DO a copy: he sounds like he needs setting straight.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Thanks Dom.

Just to be clear - my qualifications count which is why as a PADI AOW I can cross over to Ocean / Club Diver but still need to do some OW dives to move up to Sport Diver.  

So I was told that to sign off the range of dive conditions in the new qual. book I would need to do them - that logged dives already done (under PADI) wouldn't count.

You're saying that my previous dive DO count and can be counted which is what I would have thought - I wondered if, as they need to be signed off, they needed to be witnessed by the TO or DO etc.  I will check.

It would seem surprising that the PADI quals are recognised but that actual individual dives aren't.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Tim
as I understand it you also have some theory to do to become Bsac Sport diver from AOW, if I am mistaken I will be very interested to know also as I wish to go Bsac Sport so as to qualify for Club dives.
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Mattbin - are you the "poster also known as Aquabin" over on Handbagnet?
Steve W (also know as Steve W on HBN)

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Timing
I have recently done a crossover (not dressing) to the SAA from PADI, however I have also maintained and improved my PADI qualifications.
I took various tests and some theory tests, I maintain a 'log book' the same as everyone else, if I dive with an SAA member I merely have my buddy sign as normal show it to the D.O and the club stamps it. When I dive with a PADI member again he/she signs but the club won't count it against a instructor qualification I am working on.
It doesn't bother me as I mainly wanted the insurance side of the SAA.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steve
that is correct one and the same. Handbagnet - I like that.
Steve I'll mail you with my thoughts as they can be boring at times if repeated too often.
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

OK, as a BSAC instructor,  any PADI OW or AOW will cross over as Club Diver/Ocean Diver. All dives count towards your logged dives, you don't need an agency logbook, I use a nice hardback version from Enjay Marine - no agency association with it.  For BSAC CD/OD you need to show evidence of 5 conditions, from a choice of about 7 or 8: eg cold water, shore dive, boat dive, wall dive etc.

As BSAC has recently revamped its training programme, and I'm awaiting my new instructor manual, I'm not fully convrsant with the changes made, but the old version required three theory lessons (Deco, rescue, safety) and about five OW lessons (three rescue dives, one simulated deco dive and a more general one) plus a rescue assessment.

If you hadn't demonstrated all five conditions for CD/OD you could cover them on one or two days diving (ie no sig prob).

If anyone has any questions on the BSAC system and crossing over etc, fire away. Similarly if any BSAC-wallahs (I'm borrowing Brens quote) want any drills, assessments, exams lectures etc, I'm sure we can sort something out.  
(YD disclaimer taken as read Jay)
Regards
Steve W

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I've got this crossover link if it's of any use.I can't beleive how cheeky and maybe disillusioned with their standards BSAC are.Apparently if you go and do a Prof.HSE scuba diver course(or any number of similar Prof.or rec.quals) they consider you good enough to crossover to a sport diver,mmmm.All from the people who were booted out of CMAS over "training issues".I've met very good and very poor divers from all agencies PADI,BSAC,whatever.As people have said before,it's not so much the agency........The one big thing I do notice,and others have commented on it to is that BSAC divers tend to have this superior attitude to others esp PADI who can be found in complete ignorance.(I generalise here of course and meam no offence to anyone).Take care all,here's the link:- http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/crossovers.html

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Cheers Hobby.

Must say that my initial impressions are that the theory side of BSAC training seems more comprehensive than PADI (at the same level).  The proof of the pudding is, as they say in the eating.  I'll soon find out how good that eating is!

Also seems that if you have a #### good instructor and you are personally motivated to be a 'good' diver, the agency is almost irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Having been trained thru BSAC, dived with PADI-trained  mates, and dived with NOAA-trained people in the states, I agree, agencies are fairly irrelevant. There a t***ers in all walks of life and diving ain't no different.

My philosophy is to take anything good you find and blend it in with what you have found that works, and leave all the agency associated squabbling to the saddos.
Regards
Steve W

BTW - if anyone finds me posting over on the BSAC forum, please feel free to b***ock me over the fact that I told myself today I would stop doing it, due to getting really bored with people and opinions there.  there are some really sad and boring numpties out there, lets keep them away from here (need an emoticon for :fingerscrossed:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I Remember someone trying to sum up the PADI BSAC thing as
PADI= Tell you 100 ways you can enjoy yourself:biggrin:
BSAC= Tell you a 100 ways you can die :reaper:

An over simplification certainly,but certain aspects ring true. Yes I'm a BSAC Trained PADI diver.:wink:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Or even
PADI = Pay And Die Instantly
BSAC = Bring Sledgehammer And Crowbar

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I just loved the accronyms. However, STEVEN, (in Mum's best voice) you've been doing it AGAIN!!!!
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

"I didn't do it !!!" he exclaimed in his best Bart Simpson voice,
of course, I've two ex's who will tell you I'm responsible for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour AND implicated in the Twin-towers planestrike ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts