YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Ross Finlayson
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at weather this course would be of intreast to divers:

The course would be for PADI divers who are happy diving within the 30-40m range, but would like a little bit longer, the course would let you dive with a maximum of 10 min Deco and to use either a twin set or a single cylinder, as well as carry a stage, with 50% not to speed up deco just to make it safer.

I would see this as a stepping stone before going Tech, giving you the knowledge and skills to do a deco dive safely without just relying on a computer,

To do this course you would need to hold a Nitrox and a Deep Certification, or all could be taught with the Deco program,

So would this course be of use to you? Or would you just rather go to a full tech course?

Thanks for your views

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
sounds similar to the Bsac Advanced nitrox course, don't see why it wouldn't be useful to some people. Not everyone wants to go full tech.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am looking at weather this course would be of intreast to divers:

The course would be for PADI divers who are happy diving within the 30-40m range, but would like a little bit longer, the course would let you dive with a maximum of 10 min Deco and to use either a twin set or a single cylinder, as well as carry a stage, with 50% not to speed up deco just to make it safer.

I would see this as a stepping stone before going Tech, giving you the knowledge and skills to do a deco dive safely without just relying on a computer,

To do this course you would need to hold a Nitrox and a Deep Certification, or all could be taught with the Deco program,

So would this course be of use to you? Or would you just rather go to a full tech course?

Thanks for your views
Is that the tec40 course?

·
Ross Finlayson
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is the Tec 40 course my point is, is the word "Tec" putting people of and it could be resold and put over in a better way??

·
writing cheques he can't cash
617 Posts
Yes it is the Tec 40 course my point is, is the word "Tec" putting people of and it could be resold and put over in a better way??
Well, I don't know what the PADI rules are about rebranding a course, but it's basically an 'extended range' course, isn't it? Or a genuinely 'advanced' OW course, or... something. To be honest though, I think billing it as a tec tie-in course won't put people off even if they're not up for full tec, so long as you make clear it's -not- an intense full-on tec course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like a great stepping stone for people. Not quite techie but would open up the deeper wrecks a bit.

I know a few divers who I dont think would go tech, but would likely be interested in this. Going back a couple of years (before I did tech) i know I would have been. Bit of extra time looking around the rosy....

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
There's bound to be some people that this would appeal to but I have to be honest, I think many people looking to extend their time either do anyway or start to look at technical courses.

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
As all my training has been with PADI so far I did read up on the Tec 40/50 courses and for some reason I wasn't inspired. Tech 40 just seems a little bit half-arsed. It doesn't offer me much of an advancement on the diving I already do.

My personal view is that if/when I find the time and money to make a move towards tech training I'd want a course combining Deco Procedures and Advanced Nitrox ( Yeah, I already know of a training provider who offers such a thing!)

Rather than re-branding the existing courses how about combining the existing individual Tec courses and make them more useful from the off??

·
Ross Finlayson
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As all my training has been with PADI so far I did read up on the Tec 40/50 courses and for some reason I wasn't inspired. Tech 40 just seems a little bit half-arsed. It doesn't offer me much of an advancement on the diving I already do.

My personal view is that if/when I find the time and money to make a move towards tech training I'd want a course combining Deco Procedures and Advanced Nitrox ( Yeah, I already know of a training provider who offers such a thing!)

Rather than re-branding the existing courses how about combining the existing individual Tec courses and make them more useful from the off??
So what would be more useful ???

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
So what would be more useful ???
A single, well presented PADI course combining AN&DP :D

(for a couple of hundred quid (in warm water (including flights and accom.))) :D

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
How can something be nearly-techie, either diving is within recreational limits or it's not? PADI tech training has too many break points.

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
PADI tech training has too many break points.
That's exactly my point.

I'd have thought that AN&DP is entry level. Anything less is just needlessly spreading the training across too many badges.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
PADI tech training has too many break points.
Maybe they should go down the OPH route then.....

What gap is this trying to fill that is not already taken care of by other agencies?

PADI have done very well from teaching no deco diving, sometimes it is best to play to your strengths. If people are put off by the term 'Tech' then maybe it is not for them...

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I'm quite impressed by the Discover Tec Diving prerequisite of 10 dives. A lot of agencies could learn from that. When will everyone else tighten up to this kind of standard?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am a padi and Bsac diver interested in extending my diving but maybe not interested in the "technical" route as my boyfriend has done just yet! I think this is an excellent way to try it out and see if you like it and enable me to extend my diving. I would prefer to dive through padi as I already trained through them and after the whole
Bsac hog loop argument I have kind of lost faith in any tech stuff with Bsac. I do think however the name and marketing of the course could be changed to something less cheesy and more inviting!!!!!! either way I'm sold!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts